Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

18xx» Forums » General

Subject: New Train Game Convention in Canada (Southern Alberta - May 19th thru 21st Long Weekend) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Chattanooga just ended and I bet it was awesome. Where I live, there are no train game conventions. I have to go to other kinds of conventions and try to turn them into train game conventions and it’s a lot of work. I’ve had the best luck at the board game conventions I’ve tried to do this with. (The stamp and coin people almost played a game once, to their credit.) The more I do this though, the more I think it might be easier to just make a train game convention.

So, due to there not already being one, we are hosting a new Canadian train game convention in Medicine Hat AB, over May Long weekend. (May 19-21st.) As it stands, the name is “Hattanooga”. whistle

Friday the 19th: 4:00pm - Midnight
Saturday the 20th: 9:00am - Midnight
Sunday the 21st: 1:00 pm -7:00pm

(There will be pick up games Sunday after 7:00 and actually all day Monday, depending on travelling schedules and the like.)

This is a train-game centric convention with a strict focus of getting games played. We offer a game library of a few hundred unique train games spread across many genres, but with a primary focus on 18xx and Winsome titles. (about 150+/- individual 18xx titles, all ready to play. +/- 65 individual Winsome titles, nearly all of them. 50+ maps for Age of Steam, and around 25 different Crayon Rails maps.) We also have some prototypes to play test from a popular 18xx designer.

Hattanooga is not only a place for old hands to try obscure games and play old favourites. It’s also a place for people who have played that new train game GMT just put out, ummmm, 18 fortysomethin’? (It was really good and I heard there are more games like it!) We have multiple copies of some of the more popular learning games in the 18xx system and we have people to teach you not only the rules and how to play, but how to get your group back home excited about it too!

Did you know there’s an 18xx set in Mesopotamia where you dig ditches and irrigate land? Wanna see where the Trans America games got their start? (It was a Winsome game called Iron Road and we have it.) Wanna see the games that birthed Age of Steam? Wanna colonize a european villiage and earn victory points by trading resources and building…..Actually, no. You don’t get to do that one here. Sorry.

There will be more information forthcoming in the next little while. We will have a webpage of some kind, some tweeting is happening or something. We will have a geek list of the games library for people to comment on and organize games with. (Dude, we could actually play a full game of Union vs. Central to completion.)

If you live within a 600 km radius of this event and have an interest in train games, I strongly encourage you to attend. (From cursory probing, we have attendees coming from as far as Victoria to Saskatoon.) I also strongly encourage you to post your thoughts below and let us know if you plan to come. You can also get a hold of me, Tyler, here on the geek for now. I will post a similar notice to the yahoo group and in a few other dark recesses of the internets.

Choo Choo.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. I'll probably make the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
redtrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrain
redtrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrain
redtrainredtrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrainredtrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrain
redtrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrain
redtrainredtrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainwhitetrainredtrainredtrain

See y'all in Medicine Hat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh... I'd like to have something similar here in Italy... it's a nerd paradise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in this, but would like some more concrete details about where the games will be hosted, hotels, etc.

Cool idea though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fryer
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyler, right on man! I wish I could come! Heavy Con is soon after this and the wife would not be too thrilled with me if I did both... shake

I wish this convention a great start and much success.

Yes, Chattanooga was awesome! I just returned today. It was my first train game convention and it was amazing.

So, with that recent experience, I must encourage folks that are interested in Tyler's new con to "just do it" - you won't regret hanging out with nerds like yourself and gaming like crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
More details are forthcoming, but here's what I can tell you with certainty.

- We have a venue. It can scale up to 125 participants, so we have room... There is a kitchen off of the room I have booked currently, so food service is an option, but I like keeping things simple... That being said, I have one of my best men on food production and service.

- The venue is with 2 minutes travel of our airport and within 4 minutes of about 4 hotels. (A days Inn, a Comfort in and two local digs)

- Access is right off the #1 highway. There are plenty of restaurants and food service options.

- We will have a Facebook page, Twitter feed and website in the days to come. Without any of that and before this post, I had about 18 people commit to attending. I'm hoping for 30-40 our first go out, but hey, tell everyone you know. I'm not easily intimidated.

- I want to keep admission fees at 20 dollars or under, I'm hoping for 20 for the whole weekend. or 10 bucks a day, something like that. But as we get closer, I'll let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I'll make the trip - or if I'm a big enough train games fan (does ROTW count?) - but I applaud you for bringing another gaming convention to Alberta! Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the world does count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
United States
Edenton
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looked up Medicine Hat on Google Maps. I'll be outside Toronto that weekend, unfortunately

Best of luck with the new con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had tentatively made plans for a Montana weekend getaway, but I may need to try to convince my wife that Medicine Hat is just as good!

I've only once played a game of 1830, would like to try again (or 1846). Also love (but not particularly good at) Age of Steam. I would also really like to play Locomotive Werks, Santa Fe Rails, et al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
And wouldn't you know it Shane, we have all those games for you to play!

Good thing those other plans were only tentative...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great. My long weekend is currently the start of a week of gaming at the beach down South, but if that falls through (for Reasons) I'm definitely interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of the 18xx titles available at the con:

Hattanooga 18xx

There will be separate lists maintained for the Winsome games, Age of Steam Maps, Crayon Rails and one offs/oddities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Browne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be bringing an Edmonton entourage down the highway. 10 hrs of driving is well worth it!

Love the list! It reminds me of how far my collection could go.

e.e.goings wrote:
Here's a list of the 18xx titles available at the con:

Hattanooga 18xx

There will be separate lists maintained for the Winsome games, Age of Steam Maps, Crayon Rails and one offs/oddities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the Winsome list.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/221418/winsome-games-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be there in a heartbeat, but I am already committed to a Gaming Retreat that weekend.

Good Luck Tyler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be missed Darren. I'll save a chair from you next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheeler
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, why did I expect to see anything less than $1000 for a round trip from Toronto? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't suppose cheap convention fees and lodgings make up for that? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can take VIA Rail?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For further details regarding this convention please also check out the website!

hattanooga.wordpress.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
You will be missed Darren. I'll save a chair from you next year.

No you will not. We saw Darren first and he will soon be a BixCON Away lifer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added Hattanooga to the 18xx wiki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, best of luck to you on this new endeavor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.