Subject: The first story modules to retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
This is a longshot and it surely has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the info. Any idea what the first story modules that will show up in retail will be? An indication what the backers will get first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The first modules in retail are the ones included in the JM expansions...

As to the progress of the other modules, I guess the planned shipping waves are a good indicator of what backers will receive. The next wave will have the following modules:

The Golden Gear
The Lost Hoard
Fury of the Fireborne

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/myth-journ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schmidt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avatar of Shadow is KS exclusive... The other 3 could be in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ehmschmidt wrote:

At a minimum, I expect to see these offered on McG's webstore. As for "real" retail, I think we'll have to wait and see if retailers pickup any type of expansion material from McG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
ehmschmidt wrote:

At a minimum, I expect to see these offered on McG's webstore. As for "real" retail, I think we'll have to wait and see if retailers pickup any type of expansion material from McG.

My LGS doesn't stock any Megacon stuff anymore. And they carry everything. Which might be an indication of what to expect for their retail future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
ehmschmidt wrote:

My LGS doesn't stock any Megacon stuff anymore. And they carry everything. Which might be an indication of what to expect for their retail future.

Yeah, Ghool - that's what I was alluding to. I think many LGS got burned with Myth/RECON and are unlikely to stock McG products in the future. I think even the traditional OLGS are likely weary of their products based on past performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll see any myth expansions in traditional retail until maybe a second edition is printed. If that second edition is successful; then modules might find their way to store shelves.

Creating the module structure is what was needed to make a viable "expansion" type purchase for retail shoppers. The model of selling minions, captains, and bosses separately was never going to work (especially at the price points that were picked).

Now; if they are able to offer these modules with at $50-$60 price tag; I think that will go over well,...... I'm hoping that they will include some Adventure mode quests as well; but it looks like those may remain in their own decks. Pulling all the content together to form cohesive expansions is what was needed from the start.

I think that the FotF module has some amazing models and would sell like hot cakes if they could get it to the shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
I don't think you'll see any myth expansions in traditional retail until maybe a second edition is printed. If that second edition is successful; then modules might find their way to store shelves.

Creating the module structure is what was needed to make a viable "expansion" type purchase for retail shoppers. The model of selling minions, captains, and bosses separately was never going to work (especially at the price points that were picked).

Now; if they are able to offer these modules with at $50-$60 price tag; I think that will go over well,...... I'm hoping that they will include some Adventure mode quests as well; but it looks like those may remain in their own decks. Pulling all the content together to form cohesive expansions is what was needed from the start.

I think that the FotF module has some amazing models and would sell like hot cakes if they could get it to the shelf!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well. A "true" V2 of the base game with modules as expansions. And an official content guide what to buy in which order... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
yamato2 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well. A "true" V2 of the base game with modules as expansions. And an official content guide what to buy in which order... whistle

.... and what is a "true" v2? Specifically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:

Something self-contained, possibly with one story module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:

Something self-contained, possibly with one story module.

Not very specific.

What's in the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, What would people want to see in a Myth 2.0?

Myth 1.0 was a mess. Not just the rulebook, but the Quests-to-Nowhere, the Yardu/Soulless thing, incomplete rules for story quests, the works.

The box itself is great Sturdiest game box I own by far. I'd change the blurb on the back though, dispense with nonsense about 'stories' and 'happy laughter'. Just say what the game is, that it's a cooperative minis combat game with deep hand management, intricate enemy AI, with the option of having one-off games or an optional campaign system with quests.

I think the five heroes work well as a team, no need to change this. Obviously, make the rules more clear and less confusing, but that's a given throughout. (Pay the Sadlers to playtest it this time). One thing: change 'Reaction' to 'Minor Action'. 'Reaction' is confusingly similar to 'Interrupts' and is not actually a 'reaction' to anything. The three types of Hero actions are fundamental to the game - make them clear!

Keep all the components, they're gorgeous. Give us crawlers and grubbers, they are ideal 'starter' enemies, but make sure the Boss and mini-boss are keyed to these enemy types and they interact with them, and not models we don't yet have. (So have Insect Boss and miniboss and commander in the initial box, and for the first 'expansion', have a Module with Orcneas, tribal miniboss and commander, etc).

I would offer both the 'free-roaming story' elements AND a full Module with three full Acts, offering a small incremental bonus for each Act. Make sure all the minis we need are in the box, unlike Rise of the Revenant and Fury of the Fireborn. Have the random Quests, but make sure they all chain together and not to Quests we don't have. Make it so that we can either play them randomly, OR play them in order in a more structured version, depending on what we want for our play style. That caters to those who don't mind resetting their characters every game, and to those who want to play something more like Descent, Brimstone, Diablo, etc.

Maybe at the end, showcase some of the other minis and bosses, and hint at more stuff to come. Provide an enjoyable and full experience, and THEN people will want to buy your extra stuff. Providing 'bits' of a game in the box and requiring them to buy extras for a full game is terrible strategy that just confused everyone.

If they do it right, MCG could have a property with a loyal fanbase that buys all of their new stuff on release, like Brimstone or Descent. But stop trying to do it piecemeal, and deliver a full experience before trying to move on to the next thing.

Then see your player base as fans and paying customers, not enemies. When problems occur, be open and honest - people will cut you a lot of slack when they know what's going on, whereas trying to hide things always ends badly. Kickstarter backers expect delays and will understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't thumb this enough. Even with the comparatively limited number of times I've played Myth, I love it, and I've probably spent more time reading about it, watching videos, updating components etc than almost any other game I own. But it's sometimes hard work being a fan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
ehmschmidt wrote:

I assume you mean Sentry Box? They still seem to have quite a bit of Megacon stock, but nothing new in a year or so. I think that might be more megacons fault for not shipping anything to distributors. At least not in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
binary sunrise

Christiansburg
Virginia
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:

Myth 1.0 was a mess. Not just the rulebook, but the Quests-to-Nowhere, the Yardu/Soulless thing, incomplete rules for story quests, the works.

The box itself is great Sturdiest game box I own by far. I'd change the blurb on the back though, dispense with nonsense about 'stories' and 'happy laughter'. Just say what the game is, that it's a cooperative minis combat game with deep hand management, intricate enemy AI, with the option of having one-off games or an optional campaign system with quests.

I think the five heroes work well as a team, no need to change this. Obviously, make the rules more clear and less confusing, but that's a given throughout. (Pay the Sadlers to playtest it this time). One thing: change 'Reaction' to 'Minor Action'. 'Reaction' is confusingly similar to 'Interrupts' and is not actually a 'reaction' to anything. The three types of Hero actions are fundamental to the game - make them clear!

Keep all the components, they're gorgeous. Give us crawlers and grubbers, they are ideal 'starter' enemies, but make sure the Boss and mini-boss are keyed to these enemy types and they interact with them, and not models we don't yet have. (So have Insect Boss and miniboss and commander in the initial box, and for the first 'expansion', have a Module with Orcneas, tribal miniboss and commander, etc).

I would offer both the 'free-roaming story' elements AND a full Module with three full Acts, offering a small incremental bonus for each Act. Make sure all the minis we need are in the box, unlike Rise of the Revenant and Fury of the Fireborn. Have the random Quests, but make sure they all chain together and not to Quests we don't have. Make it so that we can either play them randomly, OR play them in order in a more structured version, depending on what we want for our play style. That caters to those who don't mind resetting their characters every game, and to those who want to play something more like Descent, Brimstone, Diablo, etc.

Maybe at the end, showcase some of the other minis and bosses, and hint at more stuff to come. Provide an enjoyable and full experience, and THEN people will want to buy your extra stuff. Providing 'bits' of a game in the box and requiring them to buy extras for a full game is terrible strategy that just confused everyone.

If they do it right, MCG could have a property with a loyal fanbase that buys all of their new stuff on release, like Brimstone or Descent. But stop trying to do it piecemeal, and deliver a full experience before trying to move on to the next thing.

Then see your player base as fans and paying customers, not enemies. When problems occur, be open and honest - people will cut you a lot of slack when they know what's going on, whereas trying to hide things always ends badly. Kickstarter backers expect delays and will understand.

*AND* increase the size of the player boards, to accommodate using sleeved cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think I'd get rid of the free quest stuff in the base game all together and market it as part of a "Creator Pack". With at least 1 module / enemy fraction there will still be plenty of content to play.

The modules also allow a much better and tighter control over the game experience and pace. At some point in the DF Kickstarter it was mentioned, that all the modules form a bigger (although still loose) kind of narrative. People have asked for a MYTH campaign since forever and that could be MCG chance to give in to this request.

Once you are through with all the module content you can revisit the game in "Creator mode" - much like in Diablo 3 where there is a story and adventure mode.

When you play in "creator mode", you have hours and hours of guided module play behind you and just know how the game ticks. Beside the quests, the Creator Pack could offer all the awesome stuff found in the modules (and expand on it) in card / modular form. It could really be the story-telling framework MCG intended it to be - with the BIG difference, that the players will actually know what to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And stop charging US$10 for a tiny pack of item cards. After playing a few games the green deck became so boring, we realised the item card expansions were a must. But $10 for a tiny pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binarysunrise wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:

*AND* increase the size of the player boards, to accommodate using sleeved cards...

Someone made bigger mouse pad boards for the heroes. Does anyone know if those fit sleeved cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
I think I'd get rid of the free quest stuff in the base game all together and market it as part of a "Creator Pack". With at least 1 module / enemy fraction there will still be plenty of content to play.

The modules also allow a much better and tighter control over the game experience and pace. At some point in the DF Kickstarter it was mentioned, that all the modules form a bigger (although still loose) kind of narrative. People have asked for a MYTH campaign since forever and that could be MCG chance to give in to this request.

Once you are through with all the module content you can revisit the game in "Creator mode" - much like in Diablo 3 where there is a story and adventure mode.

When you play in "creator mode", you have hours and hours of guided module play behind you and just know how the game ticks. Beside the quests, the Creator Pack could offer all the awesome stuff found in the modules (and expand on it) in card / modular form. It could really be the story-telling framework MCG intended it to be - with the BIG difference, that the players will actually know what to do with it.

With only one module and no adventure mode in the base box people would on plain that there was not enough replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
nimmzwei wrote:

With only one module and no adventure mode in the base box people would on plain that there was not enough replayability.

I'm not a huge fan of the free-form quests but I know there are plenty of people here who are, like Judy. I think it's good to keep this kind of play for those who want it. And as you say, one Module might lack replayability. (Descent only comes with one adventure, but it's a long one with branching quests.)

I'd like to see both styles offered as options, to cater to both sets of fans. The fandom for this game is split and fragmented enough, and I don't want to see it be further divided into 'RAW vs House Rules' to be honest.

While I appreciate progression was not in their thoughts when the game was created, I think enough people seem to want it now to offer it as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be "over the top" but I would do this:

- similar box; updated
- same tiles (improved printing, colors, and stock - same as JM)
- remove all "extra tokens" whether they are for heroes not in the box or quests not in e box etc. quest tokens move with their quest cards to modules. lair tokens should come with their modules as well. Nothing in the box that calls out something that you don't have!
- quest cards stay in (as mentioned, more is needed than a few modules)
- quest chain issue has been fixed already by 2.0 rework with chains self contained to packs.
- colored FD faces, improved D10's
- new plastic player trays similar to Black Plague (sized for sleeves)
- 20/4/1/1 for both Grubbers and crawlers
- Orcneas, both commanders, two new mini bosses
- Yardu is relegated to a future shamblers module
- Teaching module, Stone of Life, Grubbers module at a minimum.
- might just have to include item pack 1

- talk about module expansions in the rule book; tell people to run out and buy them,... Have them all include 20/4/1/1 at a minimum, have tiles, tokens, booklets, etc,..... And include adventure quests that call out that Monster type,.... One module on its own is not sufficient content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
It might be "over the top" but I would do this:

- similar box; updated
- same tiles (improved printing, colors, and stock - same as JM)
- remove all "extra tokens" whether they are for heroes not in the box or quests not in e box etc. quest tokens move with their quest cards to modules. lair tokens should come with their modules as well. Nothing in the box that calls out something that you don't have!
- quest cards stay in (as mentioned, more is needed than a few modules)
- quest chain issue has been fixed already by 2.0 rework with chains self contained to packs.
- colored FD faces, improved D10's
- new plastic player trays similar to Black Plague (sized for sleeves)
- 20/4/1/1 for both Grubbers and crawlers
- Orcneas, both commanders, two new mini bosses
- Yardu is relegated to a future shamblers module
- Teaching module, Stone of Life, Grubbers module at a minimum.
- might just have to include item pack 1

- talk about module expansions in the rule book; tell people to run out and buy them,... Have them all include 20/4/1/1 at a minimum, have tiles, tokens, booklets, etc,..... And include adventure quests that call out that Monster type,.... One module on its own is not sufficient content.
wowzers, yeah over the top. That would be pretty expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Large plastic trays (ala ZBP) could bump their production costs quite a bit. But I like most of your other ideas. I'd be happy to buy your suggested box as a gift for someone who has never played Myth.

A $100 core box definitely needs more than one module, assuming Stone of Life's length (took us 5 hrs in total for Acts 1+2) is what we're looking at for all modules. 8-10 hours content isn't going to cut it for boardgamers that aren't into sandbox/free form adventuring.

Quests are nice but modules are a marked improvement IMHO, so why bother with quests if you have enough module content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam

Indiana
msg tools
mb
I would like to see more included in some of the expansions. Take the agents pack ... add in quest cards (some themed around the agents), maybe a few new item cards and a couple tiles with the agents icon in their legends. Same thing for mini-bosses also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Including the Stone of Life, the learning module, the Grubber and Crawler modules would make the biggest difference in my opinion. That would make for a lot of gameplay straight out of the box.

The other thing I'd love to see is a module template on their website, with a little section in the rulebook talking about player-made modules and including the URL of the templates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.