Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Realistically possible to play both "casual" and "campaign" with just... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 copy of the game? (my game arrives in the next 2 days)

- is the main issue the stickers and the tiles?
- or are the character cards also "marked"?
- trying to plan out how I want to use the game before it comes; do I want to play more shorter casual games (with varying other players)...or try and find 1-2 other players who are willing to commit to the much longer campaign adventure?

also...if I choose to sleeve my cards, other than the premium euro-mini sleeves I already have what other size(s) and qty's will I need?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monika Skrucha
Poland
Warszawa
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look there:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1686797/comprehensive-sleev...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play the full campaign with a more regular group, and in the same "universe", play one-time casual games with different people. Those one-time games could even be played as part of the campaign and still influence how the world changes!

Just pick different heroes, or create another hero using a class already in the "main" party by using another character sheet, and keep molding that world you play in with all different parties.

I plan on doing exactly that, play a 4 heroes campaign playing the main story, and doing some side-quests in a 2 players party, using the other basic hero classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
You could play the full campaign with a more regular group, and in the same "universe", play one-time casual games with different people. Those one-time games could even be played as part of the campaign and still influence how the world changes!

Just pick different heroes, or create another hero using a class already in the "main" party by using another character sheet, and keep molding that world you play in with all different parties.

I plan on doing exactly that, play a 4 heroes campaign playing the main story, and doing some side-quests in a 2 players party, using the other basic hero classes.
how about the tiles used in your casual game? (would some be marked sometimes already?) and don't the char cards get marked as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

how about the tiles used in your casual game? (would some be marked sometimes already?) and don't the char cards get marked as well?

What tiles? The map tiles? Map tiles don't change any get marked. The only things that physically changed are

1. the map board - placing stickers to mark locations (you could just write down the locations if you don't want to place stickers on map), placing stickers to mark global achievements, and marking prosperity

2. enhancement stickers on character ability cards (if you choose to place stickers on them after getting the enhancement achievement; this probably won't happen often as enhancements are expensive; see older threads on this topic)

3. party sheets and character sheets

4. opening some sealed envelopes

5. marking opened treasures in the scenario book.

Think I got all the physical changes.

You also have the option of using the random dungeon deck for your casual plays.

Edit3: Clearer formatting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks...I was thinking that, in hindsight, I wish the KS had added an add-on where you could have purchased a 2nd map board...think I would have bought one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
thanks...I was thinking that, in hindsight, I wish the KS had added an add-on where you could have purchased a 2nd map board...think I would have bought one...

It's not difficult to just track the locations on paper as there's a grid on the board with coordinates. Additionally, there's a pdf available of the map (and all the other stuff too), so you could just print that out for your casual sessions or run another campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Smith
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the reset files in the files section of the game here on BGG. Isaac and Josh made them available a few weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
You're really overestimating how critical the map board is to a campaign. Print out a sheet of paper with the numbers 1-95 and 2 check boxes next to each number, one for "unlocked" and the other for "completed". On the other side, have the numbers 1-75 and a single check box next to each to track treasure chests. Below that, have a tally for prosperity (the thresholds are 5,11,18,26,35,45,57, and 72 for levels 2-9, respectively), and an open space to write global achievements. Congratulations, you've replicated all the functionality of the map (and then some) and can start the campaign from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You loose the thematic impact the stickers make on the map.
Files have been made available to print as many copies of the map, stickers, etc as you need. You would just need to keep track of which boxes/envelopes have been opened for a given group. Again, Isaac has thought of just about everything. You can play each party in their own universe with the print and play stuff, or you can play multiple parties in a shared universe where the actions of one group impact the actions of the other.

Ethereality wrote:
You're really overestimating how critical the map board is to a campaign. Print out a sheet of paper with the numbers 1-95 and 2 check boxes next to each number, one for "unlocked" and the other for "completed". On the other side, have the numbers 1-75 and a single check box next to each to track treasure chests. Below that, have a tally for prosperity (the thresholds are 5,11,18,26,35,45,57, and 72 for levels 2-9, respectively), and an open space to write global achievements. Congratulations, you've replicated all the functionality of the map (and then some) and can start the campaign from scratch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:

My idea is to mainly play with my girlfriend in a 2 player party and have two different group of friends join us frequently with the rest of the starting hero classes.

This would result in two heroes always be a part of both groups, eventually outleveling their party members at some point. Would the scaling mechanics handle this situation well enough? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naitakal wrote:
RemiBureau wrote:

My idea is to mainly play with my girlfriend in a 2 player party and have two different group of friends join us frequently with the rest of the starting hero classes.

This would result in two heroes always be a part of both groups, eventually outleveling their party members at some point. Would the scaling mechanics handle this situation well enough? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

The game is designed to have higher level characters retire and be replaced with lower level ones. So, it shouldn't be a problem. The prosperity mechanic helps to offset this as well as the fact that the characters ramp gradually compared to other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.