Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have the game yet but do those cards have initiative numbers on them? The pictures in the rule book do not show any.

They also don't show a rolling modifier on them so they would be the sole card drawn for the monster.

If they don't have an initiative number, what initiative do the monsters get if they draw those cards?

Or am I missing something in the rule book?

Thanks,

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are mixing up monster action cards (with initiative) and monster attack modifier cards (curse/bless go in there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The curse/bless cards are shuffled into the monsters' attack modifier deck. The monsters all act on the initiative found on their monster ability card drawn for the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blessings/curses are attack modifiers, not monster ability cards, and therefore have no initiative values. They're drawn during an attack made by monsters/heroes to change the basic damage of the attack.
These cards are probably all the same, so no rolling modifiers, they double the damage for blessings, nullify the damage for curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn it. Of course. I'm too tired. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of interest how does curse work? Because there is only a single monster deck, if I cast curse on the adjacent living bones, and then an archer out of range of my attack goes next, there is the chance they pull the curse, but I didn't target them? Additionally if I curse a second time on a later turn will I be able to put a second curse card into their deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
for each instance that curses you shuffle 1 card into the monster modifier deck, you cursing all monsters, the monster who pulls the curse card just simply failed its "resistance check" against your curse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Out of interest how does curse work? Because there is only a single monster deck, if I cast curse on the adjacent living bones, and then an archer out of range of my attack goes next, there is the chance they pull the curse, but I didn't target them? Additionally if I curse a second time on a later turn will I be able to put a second curse card into their deck?

Yep. That's the downside of all the monsters sharing one modifier deck. You're also supposed to only be able to give one bless and/or curse per monster, but since they all share the same pool, that's impossible. Either way it's beneficial, but it would be nice to be able to curse a big bad monster than have it taken up by a lowly slime or something.

Some of the logistics of this are still being discussed here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24939256
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
thomast8991 wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

Yep. That's the downside of all the monsters sharing one modifier deck. You're also supposed to only be able to give one bless and/or curse per monster, but since they all share the same pool, that's impossible. Either way it's beneficial, but it would be nice to be able to curse a big bad monster than have it taken up by a lowly slime or something.

Some of the logistics of this are still being discussed here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24939256

On the flip side, you can curse a bunch of lowly monsters and have it affect the big bad monster instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, wait a minute... Are you sure you can only give one bless/curse per monster? If you're reading the status effects bit, that part specifically exempts Bless/Curse from the normal 'can only apply each effect once' rule. (So you can't Immobilize a monster twice, but you can Curse him eight times if you feel vindictive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
Hey, wait a minute... Are you sure you can only give one bless/curse per monster? If you're reading the status effects bit, that part specifically exempts Bless/Curse from the normal 'can only apply each effect once' rule. (So you can't Immobilize a monster twice, but you can Curse him eight times if you feel vindictive.)

You can add as many Bless/Curse cards to one or more decks (monster and player) until they run out, at which point you can't, until one free's up. That was from a post by Isaac recently. I assume the same applies to token conditions, where if you run out of tokens, you can't apply any more. I don't know how likely either of those possibilities is - probably very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.