Subject: Draw Cards For Defense When There's No Point In Doing So? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings all,

So I had a question pop up in my head in the case where demons are being attacked with unblockable and/or unavoidable attacks; specifically, when they're attacked with either the Gauss Cannon or the BFG 9000.

I get that the invader should flip the top card in their deck when defending against the Gauss Cannon in hopes for the slight chance to either get a Dodge icon, or a Special Defense icon (which could result in a Dodge, depending on which demon type is being attacked).

But what if the invader's event deck doesn't have any Dodge cards in it AND none of the demon types available for the current mission have a Dodge as their Special Defense? Should the invader still bother flipping over a card even though it'll do no good anyway?

The same question applies to the BFG 9000, which is completely unavoidable. Should the invader still go through the motion of wasting a card for a defensive action that is ultimately futile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you absolutely have as it changes which card is on top of your deck for the next time you're attacked, and puts you closer to reshuffling the event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Gotcha. It certainly does stink for the invader to need to do that when the card that ends up being flipped is something like Iron Skin (+3 def.), a Dodge icon, or any of the +2 def. cards. But I guess the counter-argument would be that the invader could be getting rid of a +0 def. card, as well.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Blurpy the RABID wrote:
Gotcha. It certainly does stink for the invader to need to do that when the card that ends up being flipped is something like Iron Skin (+3 def.), a Dodge icon, or any of the +2 def. cards. But I guess the counter-argument would be that the invader could be getting rid of a +0 def. card, as well.

No problem. Admittedly, I didn't reference the rulebook; it just makes sense to me to play it out as normal. Especially if it gets you closer to reshuffling your event deck and getting dodge cards back in there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Sunnyvaletrash wrote:
Blurpy the RABID wrote:

No problem. Admittedly, I didn't reference the rulebook; it just makes sense to me to play it out as normal. Especially if it gets you closer to reshuffling your event deck and getting dodge cards back in there

I've checked the rules for this before and I'm pretty sure you're correct. I believe the only time andefense card is not revealed is when the defender is stunned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blurpy the RABID wrote:
...Should the invader still go through the motion of wasting a card for a defensive action that is ultimately futile?

It's not even a matter of should but a matter of must. Same goes for the marines. Revealing a Defense card is one of the steps of resolving an attack. Even if the attacker rolled no damage on their dice, the defender must reveal a Defense card.

This can (and should) be used strategically. If you know a player is sitting on a good Defense card, try to use a lesser attack first to get rid of it and then leave them open to something more devastating (the Invader can even use this tactic to peel good weapon cards off the top of a marine's deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
Blurpy the RABID wrote:
...Should the invader still go through the motion of wasting a card for a defensive action that is ultimately futile?

It's not even a matter of should but a matter of must. Same goes for the marines. Revealing a Defense card is one of the steps of resolving an attack. Even if the attacker rolled no damage on their dice, the defender must reveal a Defense card.

This can (and should) be used strategically. If you know a player is sitting on a good Defense card, try to use a lesser attack first to get rid of it and then leave them open to something more devastating (the Invader can even use this tactic to peel good weapon cards off the top of a marine's deck).

Good call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.