Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nelson Keeler
United States
Belton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played a game recently which I couldn't play any card in my hand. I would discard a card and draw a equally worthless card. Can I discard more than 1 card hoping to get a playable card(s)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigNel wrote:
Can I discard more than 1 card hoping to get a playable card(s)?

Absolutely. That's what the discard step is for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Therefore you can discard one card at a time, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the discard step of your turn, you choose a number between zero and six. You then proceed to discard that many cards.

Only after completing the discard step do you move on to the draw step and get to fill up your hand back to seven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
During the discard step of your turn, you choose a number between zero and six. You then proceed to discard that many cards.

Only after completing the discard step do you move on to the draw step and get to fill up your hand back to seven.
Make that "between zero and the number of cards you have in your hand". Usually that number is six, but it can be less or more due to certain status and bolster cards you might have used during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyNameIsFourteen wrote:
Witch Lord wrote:

Make that "between zero and the number of cards you have in your hand". Usually that number is six, but it can be less or more due to certain status and bolster cards you might have used during your turn.

I suppose that technically, you could discard more cards than the number you have in hand (the rest being discarded directly from the top of your draw deck, or deducted from your score if that's empty too), but that's advanced stuff.

We actually had that happen once while playing AH though. The Soviet player burned through his whole hand during his Play Step (probably by using some sort of combo with Tank Desant, Frontal Assault and/or Defense of the Motherland or something). During the Discard Step, he still chose to discard a card (which came from the top of his draw deck) in order not to lose a point for his team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch Lord wrote:
I suppose that technically, you could discard more cards than the number you have in hand (the rest being discarded directly from the top of your draw deck, or deducted from your score if that's empty too), but that's advanced stuff.

We actually had that happen once while playing AH though. The Soviet player burned through his whole hand during his Play Step (probably by using some sort of combo with Tank Desant, Frontal Assault and/or Defense of the Motherland or something). During the Discard Step, he still chose to discard a card (which came from the top of his draw deck) in order not to lose a point for his team.
I hope you can't really just choose to discard 25 cards because you feel like milling your deck. Rationing doesn't need that kind of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really rationing that's the problem. In playtesting we never discovered the bomber/rationing combo. But ending the game with a hand full of build army and land battle cards for the UK was really potent anyhow, but we decided to keep it.

I'll need to think about this Rationing. It could be that if I make another expansion I'll put in a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyNameIsFourteen wrote:
I hope you can't really just choose to discard 25 cards because you feel like milling your deck.

You can, it's just almost always a terrible idea.

When you discard from your hand, you have control over which cards get burned, so getting rid of that General Smuts is good because it improves your chances of drawing that Enigma you need. Discarding from the deck is bad because it's done blindly, you run the risk of losing a powerful card for no real benefit.

IanBrody wrote:
It's really rationing that's the problem. In playtesting we never discovered the bomber/rationing combo. But ending the game with a hand full of build army and land battle cards for the UK was really potent anyhow, but we decided to keep it.

I'll need to think about this Rationing. It could be that if I make another expansion I'll put in a replacement.

That's your decision to make of course, but personally I think it's fine. With all the killer cards the Axis got in AH, I find that things kinda balance themselves out the way they are right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.