Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know - are the cards the extremely small (1" x 2") variety, or the increasingly rare standard size?

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The Queen edition has cards 1.75" x 2.6" - basically, the same as Pillars of the Earth (though the corners have a slightly smaller radius).

Since any change in card size would require a change to both the board and the insert, I'm sure the cards in the upcoming Rio Grande Games edition will be identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was afraid of - thanks for the info. I still plan to purchase the game, but, as with Pillars of the Earth, the beautiful artwork seems wasted on these small cards (of course, the artists are probably thinking the same thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
When you start laying all those cards out in front of you, you might see the smaller cards as a benefit. If they were "standard" size, you would need more space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
That's what I was afraid of - thanks for the info. I still plan to purchase the game, but, as with Pillars of the Earth, the beautiful artwork seems wasted on these small cards (of course, the artists are probably thinking the same thing).

That is one artist - and Michael Menzel knew exactly which size cards he was making the graphics for - so if he has found his artwork wasted can he only blame himself. Somehow I don't believe you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, undoubtedly you're all correct. Space is always a big concern at the gaming table (I am the proud owner of Parthenon, Rise of the Aegean, after all!) , and even the great artists of the Renaissance like Leonardo earned their bread and butter through commissions. I'm speaking from a purely aesthethic perspective (beauty being a major factor in my game buying decisions).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
The Queen edition has cards 1.75" x 2.6" - basically, the same as Pillars of the Earth (though the corners have a slightly smaller radius).

Since any change in card size would require a change to both the board and the insert, I'm sure the cards in the upcoming Rio Grande Games edition will be identical.

One question on this: Would I need to get the US or Euro mini card sleeves? I can't remember their exact sizes, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I'm afraid I can't help - I don't use sleeves.

Anyone else know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf

The listing for Thebes is "Euro mini"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowen wrote:
http://maydaygames.com/sleeves.pdf

The listing for Thebes is "Euro mini"

Thank you very much, I will check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.