19 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Only 8 Province cards came with game...and Curse cards thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Nyman

Michigan
msg tools
We are trying to play our first Dominion game....set it all up...but was very confused as the rules state there should be 12 Province cards...if a larger game, you put 12 in the Supply. We only got 8.

We do have 4 blank cards. Are these intentional, or was it some sort of misprint?

The Curse cards are quite confusing also....seems odd that they're to be put out every game, but hardly ever used. I found it very confusing that it's not even mentioned anywhere in the rules. In reading other threads here, I think I kind of like the idea of adapting your own rules to at least make the cards useful at times. Seems to me the game could be so much better if you could Curse your opponent, somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:
We are trying to play our first Dominion game....set it all up...but was very confused as the rules state there should be 12 Province cards...if a larger game, you put 12 in the Supply. We only got 8.

We do have 4 blank cards. Are these intentional, or was it some sort of misprint?

The Curse cards are quite confusing also....seems odd that they're to be put out every game, but hardly ever used. I found it very confusing that it's not even mentioned anywhere in the rules. In reading other threads here, I think I kind of like the idea of adapting your own rules to at least make the cards useful at times. Seems to me the game could be so much better if you could Curse your opponent, somehow.

Certainly a mistake. Blank cards are for if you lose/damage some.

We don't put out Curse cards if a card in the kingdom doesn't specify them. However, you could put them in the supply, a player could buy one for 0, and Ambassador or Masquerade to give it to other players. Not really worth it if your goal is winning, but could be fun, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
billybgame wrote:

We don't put out Curse cards if a card in the kingdom doesn't specify them. However, you could put them in the supply, a player could buy one for 0, and Ambassador or Masquerade to give them to other players. Not really worth it if your goal is winning, but could be fun, I suppose.

Using Ambassador on a Curse he bought did work out surprisingly well in one game for an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
braceletwinner wrote:
billybgame wrote:

We don't put out Curse cards if a card in the kingdom doesn't specify them. However, you could put them in the supply, a player could buy one for 0, and Ambassador or Masquerade to give them to other players. Not really worth it if your goal is winning, but could be fun, I suppose.

Using Ambassador on a Curse he bought did work out surprisingly well in one game for an opponent.

Could be (very) situational and would still require luck, but it seems like there would always be a better buy (sounds a lot like Treasure Map).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:

Components (Rio Grande Games standard edition):
500 Cards
130 Basic Treasure Cards
60 "Copper" Cards
40 "Silver" Cards
30 "Gold" Cards
48 Basic Victory Cards
24 "Estate" Cards
12 "Duchy" Cards
12 "Province" Cards

You either need to check your cards again for the missing provinces or call the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go through all your cards again. Sometimes, cards are divided between the two or three different "stacks" the cards come wrapped in. Several people have reported this before and it is usually resolved by a careful reinspection of all their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braceletwinner wrote:
Could be (very) situational and would still require luck, but it seems like there would always be a better buy (sounds a lot like Treasure Map).

Curse is a great buy if you have Goons + Watchtower. Curses are also often handed out with Swindler. Sometimes a player is far enough in the lead that they can buy out the curses to 3-pile and win. We always put the curses out in case someone decides to get creative with them; that way they don't need to announce their strategy by asking for the curses to be retrieved. There aren't as many ways to do that in just the base set, but later sets add all sorts of fun cards.

billybgame wrote:

Double-check to make absolutely sure that you're missing 4. If you are, Rio Grande has good customer service and will help you out: http://riograndegames.com/customer-service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many cards do you have total, in the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
billybgame wrote:

Components (Rio Grande Games standard edition):
500 Cards
130 Basic Treasure Cards
60 "Copper" Cards
40 "Silver" Cards
30 "Gold" Cards
48 Basic Victory Cards
24 "Estate" Cards
12 "Duchy" Cards
12 "Province" Cards

You either need to check your cards again for the missing provinces or call the publisher.

Double check to make sure they're not somewhere else, but if they are in fact missing, contact Rio Grand Games customer support. I recently bought the upgrade packs, and two cards were missing. I alerted them to it, and they sent replacements right away. Their customer service has been great to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Nyman

Michigan
msg tools
Thanks for all the quick replies...this site is the da bomb for board gamers, obviously!

I did go through fairly meticulously, as I already had divided all the cards, to no avail.

My first thought was Amazon, as that's where I bought it from. They are sending a new game....but I don't really need or want a new game, so I may just return that and deal with the company, in the end....we are only playing 2 player right now, so not an issue just yet.

Edit: Doh....thought I better check again...never know....realized I did not look in the Randomizer cards, yesterday....there they were, mixed in there. Not sure how that happened, but guess we are all set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:
Edit: Doh....thought I better check again...never know....realized I did not look in the Randomizer cards, yesterday....there they were, mixed in there. Not sure how that happened, but guess we are all set.

That seems to be where they usually end up, because for some reason there's always a few randomizers, then a few real cards, then a few more randomizers, etc. Glad you found them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Nyman

Michigan
msg tools
flaquito wrote:
billybgame wrote:

That seems to be where they usually end up, because for some reason there's always a few randomizers, then a few real cards, then a few more randomizers, etc. Glad you found them!

Yup...I'm guessing they were mixed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:
In reading other threads here, I think I kind of like the idea of adapting your own rules to at least make the cards useful at times. Seems to me the game could be so much better if you could Curse your opponent, somehow.

I implore you to play a whole heck of a lot before you try to implement anything like this. You are more likely to make every game the same slog than explore Dominion's key feature: variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:
In reading other threads here, I think I kind of like the idea of adapting your own rules to at least make the cards useful at times. Seems to me the game could be so much better if you could Curse your opponent, somehow.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billybgame wrote:
Seems to me the game could be so much better if you could Curse your opponent, somehow.
Oh you can... "Curse you, Joe, for playing that Witch!" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the confusion with always having Curses available, but the alternative, for the base set, was for the Witch card itself to have a special line that said to use Curses for this game, as well as how many Curses to use. Once you play more, and especially some of the later expansions, you will see that there's all sorts of ways that Curses can matter even when no card specifically mentions them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Even with the base game I can imagine that a tactical player might buy them just to bump up their deck size if they've got some gardens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dancj wrote:
Even with the base game I can imagine that a tactical player might buy them just to bump up their deck size if they've got some gardens.

The problem with that is that it only makes any sense if all the Coppers are already gone; which in the base set is extremely unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh yeah - good point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.