War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Third expansion for 2nd Ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B G
United States
California
flag msg tools
Have they announced or hinted at it yet? Their website is a bit of a chore to navigate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have said they intend to make a third expansion which will be based on the various siege engines, but I do not believe work has started on it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that an already complex game got even more detailed with each of the first two expansions (and considering the fact that my box of WotR can't hold any more stuff) I wouldn't mind if the third expansion turns out to be a small add-on, just maybe a couple of extra event cards, situational companions etc...

To be honest, I even don't know if a third expansion is necessary. LOME was a good addition because it enhanced the early game and gave you different paths to develop your side.

Well, WOME on the other hand replaced a couple of event card effects with on board units, introducing a second type of army units which does not make things less complex. I still have to play it to decide if the increasing complexity does address any gaps in the core game or if its just to enhance aspects of the game that really didn't needed enhancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard a lot about how siege engines were the overall least favorite aspect of the first edition expansion, so who knows what they have in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafael Ramus wrote:
I've heard a lot about how siege engines were the overall least favorite aspect of the first edition expansion, so who knows what they have in mind.

They needlessly dragged out the battles, making an already long game even longer. I could see how some variant might be implemented, utilizing a card-driven system. Maybe three 'play on the table' cards which allow you to add a siege engine for the duration of one battle and then goes away. You could even have some minis that you physically place on the board to show it is in play for each round of the battle. These could also be location specific and situational (would you ever really see siege engines in the Shire?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, seeing as there currently aren't sieges in the Shire, Mr. Frodo, until some queer folk see fit to order the construction of Dol Gaffer or Bag-end Dur, I wouldn't expect to see siege engines in the Shire, no sir."

And with that, Sam went back to trimming the hedge. It was a beautiful hedge. Fifteen feet high and pocked with arrow slits and defensible turrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I am hoping that as each expansion has featured new dice, this will also do that. However, I hope that they add new combat dice this time.

Would also love the manoeuvre system from the battles games (maybe as an option) and possibly stronghold defence points. Although I am not sure if they can make them different for different strongholds without breaking the balance of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly if the expansion adds a new deck for both sides would bring the game to eight event decks and if it adds an extra die (Siege Die), the Shadow Player could at one point hypothetically be throwing a total of fourteen dice for actions.

I think at that point the game will have reached the limit where clunkyness begins and "the least favorite" scenario will occur.

Well, actually, I'm OK with additional dice. More special cards? Not so much.

I'd personally be much gladder if they released an overall mini-expansion; allowing Galadriel and Saruman to leave Lorien and Orthanc and similar such "what if" scenarios; and the siege engines only as a minor segment of the game, perhaps. And the custom maps for the sieges of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith from back the first edition...

However, I can see their plan. LoMe brings forth new Character Event Cards, WoMe doesn't; the plan is probably to release a few Strategy cards along with the 3rd expansion, and most of those will probably be orientated around sieges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A scenario where it is an all out military fight between the two sides would be fun. It could be designed that the Free People's decide to use the one ring for military and then there could still be a ring corruption track that basically allows the Shadow to win the game if the Free People's do not finish the war before the ring corrupts all of them.

Big battles are one of the most fun aspects of the game and it would be cool to encourage more big battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
"Well, seeing as there currently aren't sieges in the Shire, Mr. Frodo, until some queer folk see fit to order the construction of Dol Gaffer or Bag-end Dur, I wouldn't expect to see siege engines in the Shire, no sir."

And with that, Sam went back to trimming the hedge. It was a beautiful hedge. Fifteen feet high and pocked with arrow slits and defensible turrets.

As he surveyed the lines of Orcs surrounding Hobbiton, the Witch King's dead gaze came to rest upon the latest hellish contraption from the forges of Angmar.

A ghastly whisper rose from beneath his withered hood: "Light it." At once the Orcs swarming the machine poured grease and lit the flame; presently a great fume drifted from its spiked chimneys over the hedgerows and barricades and down the secret tunnels of the embattled Shire-folk. As this reached the nostrils of the stalwart Hobbits, they began to turn and murmur to each other.

"Are they making fish and chips? Those dark devils!" And as the Hobbits' stomachs began to growl in sympathy, the Dark Rider could already sense his enemies' resolve crumble, hands loosening their grip on pitchfork and garden shear alike. "This will be easy" he thought, forgetting his earlier doubts about constructing and carrying the great oven from the northern wastes. Already he saw Hobbits bolting from their holes and charging with mad abandon towards the source of the scent; as the slaughter began, his mind's eye was presently turning to the Grey Havens beyond...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
what is left from the old battles of the 3rd age expansion?

Just siege towers I think. (which just prolonged battles IMHO)

I would like to see the battles redone as a 3rd expansion. Helms deep and Gondor or even smaller scenarios, basically quick play stuff when there isn't time for the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.