Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Alliance game: Starting, Hero and Basic skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jackie Pettipas
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group was playing the Alliance game and one of the Evil cards says hero can't use Basic skill that turn.

So we were trying to determine what was the "Basic" skill. In the rules the skill on the hero card is listed as the Starting skill and the skills gained when leveling up are called Hero skills.

The skill EVERYONE has (sword and shield = two swords and shield) is not labeled.

So is the "Basic" skill the same as the Starting skill, or is it the skill everyone has?

We played it that the skill everyone has is the basic one but would like another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DrProfHazzmatt
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Riding the Kickstarter hype train since 2015.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you have it right. The basic skill is using a Sword and Shield die to create 2 Sword Symbols and a Shield Symbol.

The starting skill refers to the unique skill that each hero starts with. Like how Valerie can choose to ignore combat with undead monsters and Algus can turn any die into a magic symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you mean this card:
Evil Card wrote:
The active Hero must choose: Take 2 Wounds or lose their natural ability until the end of his turn.

We thought that you can't use your starting ability as this is the natural ability of that hero (for us). The conversion of sword and shield to shield and two swords is just mentioned as "Sword-and-Shield Fighting" or "combo" on page 10 in the rulebook and not as an ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a card that says the hero can't use his "special abilities". We're not sure that refers to. We played that is was their level-up abilities but it was a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
There is also a card that says the hero can't use his "special abilities". We're not sure that refers to. We played that is was their level-up abilities but it was a guess.
We played that as "all abilities" (including the starting ability), but you're right, we were guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
Carcking wrote:
We played that as "all abilities" (including the starting ability), but you're right, we were guessing.

We thought of that too, but because there were other cards specifically (seemingly) excluding the level-up abilities, we took it to be the card that was meant for the level-up abilities.

So, one type for Basic (sword and shield fighting?), one for Natural (starting ability?) and one for Special (level-up abilities)? Still all just a guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackie Pettipas
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
Evil Card wrote:
The active Hero must choose: Take 2 Wounds or lose their natural ability until the end of his turn.

We thought that you can't use your starting ability as this is the natural ability of that hero (for us). The conversion of sword and shield to shield and two swords is just mentioned as "Sword-and-Shield Fighting" or "combo" on page 10 in the rulebook and not as an ability.

You are correct about which card I was referring to. I didn't have it with me when I asked.

So there is the Starting ability, which is the unique one on the character sheet. The Hero abilities, which are the ones you select when you level up.

And only mentioned on this card a "natural ability" which is not defined in the rules. Our idea was if the ability was natural, so it was the one everyone had (the combo) but some thought it could be the Starting ability that was unique to the hero.

I guess it could go either way, so long as it was consistent within the playing group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I would assume it refers to your starting ability.
The 2 swords and shield ability wasn't on the character cards shown in the KS campaign, so they seem to be a late addition for balancing and probably not referred to on the treasure cards.
The rulebook needs revising to sort out this and many other rules that are open to misinterpretation and use inconsistent terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bouncy wrote:
The rulebook needs revising to sort out this and many other rules that are open to misinterpretation and use inconsistent terminology.

It (sadly) really does, but I somehow doubt it will happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
Bouncy wrote:

It (sadly) really does, but I somehow doubt it will happen.

Yeah, revision's probably not going to happen, I think the best we can hope for is someone from CMON weighing in on the forums to make official rulings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Banville
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
Evil Card wrote:

That is also what we interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.