Subject: "Here your coffee" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Chit_Chatted [+] [View All]
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh in coffeeland, RSP gamers.
Left wing agenda alert. 10,000 refugees to get jobs at Starbucks.
The flags of boycott have been hoisted.
Does the left care more for people from other countries more than their own?
Looks like it will get interesting.
I don't drink coffee nor go to this place so I have no skin in the game but I know leftists love some coffee...
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/30/512427887/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, Trump supporters are definitely saying they will boycott Starbucks, so it's gone beyond the discussion stage. And that's their right as Americans.

Now to your point about the left caring more about people from other countries instead of fellow Americans, I think it's a gray area. Some leftists probably do feel this way. Others might say that they care more about the plight of people around the world fleeing the horrors of war. Others might say they just care about those people more than rightists.

Also to the point, the Starbucks guy said he will start in America hiring refugees, but intends to spread that out across the world. And he had an interesting point in the article you presented to RSP, which I agree with:

Quote:
In a letter to current employees on Sunday, Schultz said the company would "start this effort here in the U.S. by making the initial focus of our hiring efforts on those individuals who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel in the various countries where our military has asked for such support."

To be clear, I also don't patronize Starbucks. That overpriced swill is for idiots who want to be seen, not drink good coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
I don't drink coffee nor go to this place so I have no skin in the game but I know leftists love some coffee...

Trump supporters threaten boycott, what is your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Private industry affirmative action, should be fine for conservatives, businesses are supposed to be able to hire who they want.
Quote:
This is about refugees not run-of-the-mill immigrants. If you send money to New Orleans to help Katrina victims, does that mean you care more for them than the homeless people in your own city? Are you saying that Starbucks (and the left) shouldn't hire any refugees (or immigrants for that matter) until there's 100% native citizen employment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Outrage for outrage sake. On both sides. Do we REALLY think Starbucks will start enacting hiring quotas for refugees? No. It's just their way of virtue signaling. And, of course, the call for a boycott of Starbucks from those in Iowa and Kansas is equally hollow.

I hate this world. I really wish there was an alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I don't actually care for the signature burnt-flavor of Starbucks, but you sir have provided me with a compelling argument to patronize them regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so I'm getting out in front of this I think we can agree that the opening post is snarky and hostile so if at some point I become snarky and hostile I am not responsible for this thread being toxic.

That said I think it's great that Starbucks is doing more for the Iraqis who risked their lives helping our soldiers not get killed since our nation has not done a whole heck of a lot for a lot of them - the visa process for our translators has been extremely slow to the point of tragic absurdity in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:

You did read the part where they said that in the US they will focus on those people who have worked with the military. I thought it was the right that cared more about respect for the military then the left.

Now regarding the bolded. In a way this is very natural, we as humans have a tendency to form cliques, we love us vs. them. But in the end, we are all human. Once you realise that, you realise that every person on earth is your own, and to care more for one then for nother, not because of what they do, not because of who they are, not because of what they mean to you, but onlu because of the place they were born, is actually a very strange thing to do and it is the very reason why much of the earth is a shit hole.
It is time that people realise that every person on earth is our own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:

Trump supporters threaten boycott, what is your point?

What about all the Art History majors? Where will they work?
Aren't you concerned? Sheesh! Have some compassion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that the subject line is kinda racist...

...nevermind, I am. That is what I'm saying. The subject line is kinda racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

Especially considering they are literally talking about hiring former translators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:

LOL! rolls eyes. What race is depicted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Especially considering they are literally talking about hiring former translators.

Do you like people from other countries more than people from your country? I assume you are USA American.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Do you like people from other countries more than people from your country? I assume you are USA American.

I like some people from other countries more than I like some people from this country, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

I like some people from other countries more than I like some people from this country, that's for sure.

Who? Iraqi translators?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like open-mike night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting America first by identifying all the people who deserve less than what we have doesn't actually put America first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

It might have been a simple mistake, did you mean to leave off the 's after 'here'? If so, then it seems like you are mocking urban speaking styles that are widely used by urban african americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Who? Iraqi translators?

Well, I don't know any Iraqi translators personally, so I'd have to say no.

My mother-in-law is from another country and she's great. My great grandfather was from another country too, and he was pretty great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

It might have been a simple mistake, did you mean to leave off the 's after 'here'? If so, then it seems like you are mocking urban speaking styles that are widely used by urban african americans.

Urban would be "here yo coffee" or something like that. "GOSH!"
Go find that SNL skit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Guh. So it looks like my decades-long boycott of Starbucks for their horrible coffee and pretentiousness and horrible coffee and hipster chic and horrible coffee is now going nationwide.

I'm a trendsetter, guys! I'm a trendsetter.

Gotta start working on some "RELEVANT" chant for the big protest.
Please alter or add to
How about...
"WHAT DOES A POLICE STATE COFFEE PLACE LOOK LIKE?
THIS IS WHAT A POLICE STATE COFFEE PLACE LOOKS LIKE!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Guh. So it looks like my decades-long boycott of Starbucks for their horrible coffee and pretentiousness and horrible coffee and hipster chic and horrible coffee is now going nationwide.

Please alter or add to
How about...

Your entire contributions to this thread reads like a clever satire on alt right thinking. Come on, fess up. This is all part of some plan to further discredit right wing "thinking"

Heck of a job

Keep up the good work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a cup of Peet's, but if I'm in a pinch, traveling, or not too cheap that day, Starbucks is a fine coffee.

Is it me, or am I the only one not affected by the attitude that I am self-imposing on the wait staff? I never was into inferiority complexes, having to defend research to Nobel Laureates on a daily basis may help with that, so I guess when I see them (ICs) expressed, they slap me in the face like a rotten cod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Please alter or add to
How about...

Your entire contributions to this thread reads like a clever satire on alt right thinking. Come on, fess up. This is all part of some plan to further discredit right wing "thinking"

Heck of a job

Keep up the good work

His writing partner has a case of explosive diarrhea, so he is forced to construct jokes by himself. I give an A for effort, F for delivery, and D for premise.

C'mon. Try harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Uh. The subject header is racist?

Can someone explain? Or is this just the usual nonsense that has turned serious concerns into punch-lines?

It is racist in the same way that mocking call centers in India is racist. Yes, it is racist. But it's the kind of racism which is moderately tolerated by many because all of us, virtue-signalers or not, feel irritated when we have to wade through someone who doesn't speak our language as well as we wish they could. So yes, it's racist. Not GREATLY racist, but not insignificantly either. When you are talking about keeping refugees who directly served American interests in the way of harm and then make fun of the fact that buying a coffee from them may not come in perfect English.... it's not all that good of a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.