Joshua Free
msg tools
Hello!

Played the first two scenarios and absolutely love the game! A few situations came up that need some clarification. Hope you guys can weigh in and help!

1. Leo: Double Slash special move - The move states "Leo makes an Attack +4 (+1 die per extra katana spent) melee strike.

- We played this by Leo having an Attack + 4, and then his base Attack on his card which is +1, and then Leo used 1 Katana on his action die. This would yield six battle die to be rolled. Is this correct? One of the other turtles made the argument that you get an two attack die per katana spent.

2. Can you move through other figures. Are turtles able to move through another turtle to get to a space, the same with villains? Are figures able to move through enemies?

4. When you exercise a desperate move card on the villain side it states you can use either a move action, melee action, or ranged action.

a) Can you only use the desperate move card when you have don't have any cards pertaining to that character, ie: brawler, then you can use a desperate move card for the brawler.
b) Can you use a range attack with a figure that doesn't have one, ie: use the ranged attack for a brawler even though he doesn't have a ranged attack normally.

5. Say you have 2 brawlers on the board. Your first action card says to move two brawlers, which you do. Then the second action card says you can move one brawler. That would mean I have to activate one of the brawlers used in the previous card. Is that legal? The rules make it seem that I can only activate the same brawler, or figure, once per turn and not once per card.

6. Old hub has a card that says you can roll 4 battle die to gain life equal to the amount of hits. Can you use a focus to re-roll some die to gain more life, or is it a one and done scenario?

7. Does a building block line of sight? In the second scenario the elevated terrain, building, would be blocking an enemies ranged attack. Both enemies were on the low terrain, but the corner of the high ground would've been blocking the LOS.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It sounds like you have this correct.

Leonardo must spend 2 katana icons and 1 focus to activate the move. This gives him the 5 attack dice. Any spare katana icons left after activating the move can be used, adding one extra die for each icon.

2. Figures cannot move through other figures (or "enter a space containing another figure" as Movement on pg. 11 of the rulebook puts it). Therefore, there is no way figures can pass through other "friendly" figures as is sometimes the case in these sorts of games. The best a figure can do is "squeeze" diagonally between two figures.

3. Wait...

a) There is a Rules Update/FAQ that states you can use a desperation move for a figure even if you hold a card to activate them. It's just not always the best move. I'll put a link to it at the end of this post as it seems a lot of people miss it (might have to put it in the Files section but I know the designer intends to release another one soon, covering any other new queries).
b) That's actually an interesting point that could make a difference for figures with high attack stats (e.g. Bruisers). There is nothing in the rules to prevent it, so I guess it is allowed.

5. You cannot activate a figure twice in a turn so you can only play it for the passive benefits such as shells. Cards are resolved one by one, so you could find an alternative card to play in this case also.

The other thing that might not be clear is that even though a card might state "x2" minions, you activate "up to" two so could still activate just one. For example, this might be useful in situations where you only have two minions of that type and want to move one while attacking with the other but don't have a card that allows both. Or maybe you have a stronger attack card that only one would benefit from.

6. I was wondering about this one. It seems the only time Focus cannot be used for re-rolls is when making Awakening checks, so there is nothing prohibiting it here, necessarily.

7. As written, elevated terrain does not block LOS. Although, I know a few people intend on house-ruling it so that such a situation means LOS is blocked, as well as only the edges of elevated terrain counting for targeting up/down. I am strongly considering it myself, however, I worry that this might affect scenario balance for some maps or characters (Raphael, Karai), if it was never playtested this way.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/idw-transfer/kickstarter/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Free
msg tools
Awesome - Thanks Gregg for your help!

Hoped those answers help others too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checked some of this with the designer, Kevin Wilson, on the Facebook group as I know he's putting together a rules update so it's worth bringing these up (and he's always helpful and approachable).

With regards to 4.b) it is fine to give ranged icons to figures that don't normally receive them from cards. In addition to this, Bebop's "Roberta" ability (thematically, it's melee with his chainsaw) does actually apply (ouch!)

And regarding 6. these healing rolls can be focused but it is something he is keeping an eye on in case it needs disallowing.

He also gave the same warning on 7. that changing LOS rules can obviously affect the game in various ways since it has never been playtested that way.
Quote:
House-ruling LOS certainly has the potential to break any number of things in the game, but I'm afraid I don't have time to test it. Buyer beware on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I agree that LOS changes have not been tested and should be treated as such, but since they affect both sides equally I can't imagine they would break the game in general. Maybe a specific scenario or two, which is certainly an issue, but that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Free
msg tools
HotHeart wrote:
Checked some of this with the designer, Kevin Wilson, on the Facebook group as I know he's putting together a rules update so it's worth bringing these up (and he's always helpful and approachable).

Wow, thanks for going the extra mile and putting these clarifications in front of Kevin. I really appreciate his official ruling my questions. Look forward to playing the game some more with these clarifications at hand. I've really been enjoying the heck out of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the facebook group called? I would love to join. I love this game, but don't get to play very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
facebook TMNTShadowsOfThePast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.