The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How do you organize your cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I figure you would want to box encounter cards by the block they are from.
So I was more wondering on how everyone sorts their player cards? Do you do it by the sphere they are from or do you by the blocks they are from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By sphere, with the heroes separated. I don't both sorting allies, events and attachments separately, but many others do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
By sphere, with the heroes separated. I don't both sorting allies, events and attachments separately, but many others do.

I am one of those that sorts by sphere, then sorts by card type (heroes, allies, attachments and events) and then further alphabetically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crixtey
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort mine by sphere, then dividers for Heroes, Allies, Attachments, and Events within each sphere... Then I try to keep them roughly in numerical order, to find specific cards quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My sorting is pretty meticulous. I sort player cards by sphere and type, then those are sorted by cost and then each cost is alphabetized. It makes it easy to find whichever card I need, but it takes longer to put everything back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as metal134, but sans alphabetic ordering. I'm a cycle behind, but with this many cards it's still pretty easy to put away and organized enough for deckbuilding by hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McGorman
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sphere, card type, cycle then print number (eg Aragorn being card #1 of Core)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
metal134 wrote:
My sorting is pretty meticulous. I sort player cards by sphere and type, then those are sorted by cost and then each cost is alphabetized.

Mostly this, then one step more OCD: If a character has a set of cards which belong together, they get their own section among my many dividers. Galadriel and her allies + gear, for instance.

Each cycle of encounters and quests gets its own box, and set-aside cards are sleeved differently from the shuffled cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heroes: their own deck, sorted by sphere then alphabetically.

quests: their own deck. Shared encountered cards are in one deck per cycle.

player cards: binders with 9-pocket pocket card pages, sorted by sphere, then type, then cost range (4+, 3, 2, 0-1 for allies, 3+, 2, 1, 0 for attachments/side-quests, 2+, 1, 0 for events). Cards with different cost ranges do not share pages, this makes adding new cards easy (fill empty slots, insert new pages when needed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

Each cycle of encounters and quests gets its own box, and set-aside cards are sleeved differently from the shuffled cards.

I put quests in their own deck, with quest cards on top, set-aside cards next, and shuffled cards after. The quest decks are stored in a storage box that was used for Dominion before I had too many Dominion cards to fit -- unfortunately, I now have too many LOTR encounter cards to fit....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five color-coded binders, red, green, blue, purple, and gray, full of those 9-pocket pages. Within each binder, I sort by card type (hero/ally/attachment/event), and within each card type, I sort by card cost. If there are only 3 1-cost Lore allies in my binder, I leave six pockets blank, and put the 2-cost Lore allies on the next page. That way when I pick up a new 1-cost Lore ally in The City of Corsairs, I have a slot ready for it and I don't have to move a bunch of cards around.

I don't sort by name within a cost, because there are only 12-15 cost 2 allies in most spheres, which means two pages. And most of the time, I'm thinking "I want to put another Lore ally into this deck, and I want him to not cost too much, so a 2 would be nice. MAYBE a 3 if I can't find a good 2-cost to put in." So I have two pages of cards to look through, maybe four pages if I also look at the 3's. Or if I'm looking for a specific version of a card, say the Leadership Faramir from the core set, then I know how much he costs (4 resources) so I know which page to flip to in my purple binder. And maybe he's on the second page since there are now ten 4-cost Leadership allies, but I'm never going to spend more than a few seconds looking for a card.

And it's FAR easier to read the cost on those cards than to read the card numbers (by which I mean the TINY little numbers that tell you that Faramir is card 14 of the core set). Those are printed way too small.

Edit: Basically, I use the same system as Dale Stephenson (whose post hadn't yet appeared when I started writing this, but then I stepped away from my computer for a couple hours before I finished my comment). I even have almost the same system for encounter cards, but with one added detail. After I put the quest cards on top and the set-aside cards just underneath them to find them easily, I then put that quest into an individual zip-lock bag, and I keep all the zip-lock bags for one quest cycle in the box of that cycle's deluxe expansion. (I pull out the cardboard divider to make room for it). The encounter card sets from that cycle also go in the same box. That way if I want to play quests from the Dwarrowdelf cycle, I just pull out the Khazad-Dûm box and it has all the encounter cards I'll need already in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

I am one of those that sorts by sphere, then sorts by card type (heroes, allies, attachments and events) and then further alphabetically.

Same except not "alpha sort" so much as by "cost".
Three sphere decks need low cost cards mostly, two or single sphere decks can afford more expensive ones. I also try to be alpha within cost, and cost number up for ease of location of card cost...(AM I OCD?) whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
rmunn wrote:
Five color-coded binders, red, green, blue, purple, and gray, full of those 9-pocket pages. Within each binder, I sort by card type (hero/ally/attachment/event), and within each card type, I sort by card cost. If there are only 3 1-cost Lore allies in my binder, I leave six pockets blank, and put the 2-cost Lore allies on the next page. That way when I pick up a new 1-cost Lore ally in The City of Corsairs, I have a slot ready for it and I don't have to move a bunch of cards around.

I don't sort by name within a cost, because there are only 12-15 cost 2 allies in most spheres, which means two pages. And most of the time, I'm thinking "I want to put another Lore ally into this deck, and I want him to not cost too much, so a 2 would be nice. MAYBE a 3 if I can't find a good 2-cost to put in." So I have two pages of cards to look through, maybe four pages if I also look at the 3's. Or if I'm looking for a specific version of a card, say the Leadership Faramir from the core set, then I know how much he costs (4 resources) so I know which page to flip to in my purple binder. And maybe he's on the second page since there are now ten 4-cost Leadership allies, but I'm never going to spend more than a few seconds looking for a card.

And it's FAR easier to read the cost on those cards than to read the card numbers (by which I mean the TINY little numbers that tell you that Faramir is card 14 of the core set). Those are printed way too small.

Edit: Basically, I use the same system as Dale Stephenson (whose post hadn't yet appeared when I started writing this, but then I stepped away from my computer for a couple hours before I finished my comment). I even have almost the same system for encounter cards, but with one added detail. After I put the quest cards on top and the set-aside cards just underneath them to find them easily, I then put that quest into an individual zip-lock bag, and I keep all the zip-lock bags for one quest cycle in the box of that cycle's deluxe expansion. (I pull out the cardboard divider to make room for it). The encounter card sets from that cycle also go in the same box. That way if I want to play quests from the Dwarrowdelf cycle, I just pull out the Khazad-Dûm box and it has all the encounter cards I'll need already in it.

How you get the all to fit in the expansion box. I am trying to do this with my dwarrowdelf cycle now and I cannot configure it to all fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noordhoorn
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiowas05 wrote:
sphere, card type, cycle then print number (eg Aragorn being card #1 of Core)

^This in binders for player cards, I've just gotten to the point where I need separate binders for each sphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Those of you using binders, do you only sleeve the cards your currently using in decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
Those of you using binders, do you only sleeve the cards your currently using in decks?

I don't sleeve myself, but I've heard from others that they only sleeve the player cards in their deck. There's way too many cards to purchase sleeves for all your Power in the Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
There's way too many cards to purchase sleeves for all your Power in the Earth...

After sleeving three Legendary games and a nearly full campaign of PACG there just isn't enough money left for premium art sleeves of the sort I prefer either

Four packs of One Ring sleeves is all I have for now, but the encounter cards are ALL sleeves in various forms of coloured FFG sleeves (or blank Arcane Tinmen for two-sided cards). The sleeves are a substantial part of the value of my collection :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Noordhoorn
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:

I sleeve all my player cards but not the encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
msg tools
I have a binder organized mostly by Sphere (tabbed). Within each Sphere I separate by Hero (in card sleeves), Allies, Attachments and Events. Sometimes I place specific attachments for Heroes next to its Hero (e.g. Elrond and Vilya). I have separate sections (tabbed) for the following: Dwarves, Hobbits, Outlands, and Traps. I also separate out but combine Ents, Eagles and Mounts. I find that the cards within these non-sphere sections seem to go together in decks and I found it's a lot easier to place them together than looking throughout the differed Spheres. So, for example, now I have all of my Dwarf Heroes, Allies, their specific Attachments and Events, together.

I bought clear 3-ring binder 'baseball card' holders at Office Depot -- 9 slots per sleeve. Each card slot will easily hold 3 cards (so I 'bundle' the typical 3 Ally, Attachment and Event cards into one slot). Each slot will also hold Heroes that are in their Fantasy Flight card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:

I sleeve w/ binders. I've tried many different storage techniques for this game, and found the only way I felt comfortable is with colored binders. Reduces handling of the cards, and speeds setup. I use Ultra Pro - Pro Binders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my player cards are in binder unsleeved. When I make decks, I sleeve the player cards.

The encounter cards are kept in their respective Saga or bigger box expansion pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my player cards in a binder. Heroes in the front. All other cards are sorted by sphere, then by type. I keep them unsleeved in the binder because I only sleeve the player decks that I'm actively using. Don't sleeve the encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.