Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to host a session of MvM at a local convention (Gaming Hoopla, come join us, it's awesome!) and I'm wondering if this is a good time limit for what I have planned. I want to allow the players to go through the Tutorial mission, Mission 1: Short Fuse, and Mission 2: Swift Scouts, with me providing rules clarifications and organizing materials as needed. Do you think this session could be completed in 3 hours? I will be able to have the initial setup ready when the players arrive and will have printed FAQ's ready and read. Otherwise I will pretty much let the players learn through the manual since I consider the great writing part of the experience. Depending on the volume in the hall, playing the radio play may also be possible.

Has anyone hosted MvM at conventions and have tips to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it a few times, typically, it takes around:

20 minutes for tutorial
& 1:15 to get through the first mission
Leaving you around 90 minutes for the last mission. That sounds very doable to me, but each group is different. Especially on the first mission, if you take too long to get the objective in place, there isn't really a game timer to prod you along (like there is in future missions). So the first one can take some time with a group that isn't focused on the objective. It can also be lost pretty quickly if you go too fast. So there is a chance that losses could derail you, but I think most groups can do the first two missions in 3 hours.

Love to hear how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Straight from the source, can't get better advice than that.

For Mission 2:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Would you suggest setting the school health at 3 for the EZ mode, to minimize the risk of sending players away with a loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Losses just whet the appetite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always start with normal and call an audible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the first mission works pretty well as a tutorial, if you explain that they should wait before moving the bomb out of the school, those few 'waiting' turns basically explain what they want to do.

I have found that mission 1 is the teaching mission, I explain the rules of the game and what they need to do, and let them do mission 2 out of the rule book like you suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:

20 minutes for tutorial
Leaving you around 90 minutes for the last mission.
I think most groups can do the first two missions in 3 hours.

Just a follow-up that I did run this event and everything went great. The group finished in almost exactly the time I allotted. Two of the players had played before but enjoyed the tutorial as a rules-refresher. Things started getting crazy for them during mission 2 but they pulled off some great moves and got the win.

Thanks again for a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JJtheJetPlane wrote:
Riot Kades wrote:

20 minutes for tutorial
Leaving you around 90 minutes for the last mission.
I think most groups can do the first two missions in 3 hours.

Just a follow-up that I did run this event and everything went great. The group finished in almost exactly the time I allotted. Two of the players had played before but enjoyed the tutorial as a rules-refresher. Things started getting crazy for them during mission 2 but they pulled off some great moves and got the win.

Thanks again for a great game.

Woots! Glad everyone had fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.