Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
COVFEFE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received my box in the post today. I'm torn on what to do. I really want to dig into this but don't want to ruin the experience if I am going to play with a group.

However; it is hard for me to get a group that will play a single game on a regular basis.

So, interested in input from anyone that has already started in on their game.

Are there elements that as you play through that are discovered one time and the alure is lost after that? I'm just trying to decide if I am going to play this solo and just start tearing through it or do I want to save it to try to play with a group? If I play solo, and then have a few people together and start playing, will they be missing out any of the experience if I already have stickers all over the board, upgrades to characters, or other things that occur? It just seems that I need to make a decision on whether i am going to just play solo and go it alone, or save it for multiplayer only. Because of the legacy elements that appear as you play, it seems it should be one or the other.

This is my opinion having not yet opened the game though. Really interested in input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are training exercises, non-campain stuff. random dungeons that do not impact the over all game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar predicament, as I'm moving this Summer and losing my one group that would have any chance of playing through it with me.

Do I open and and begin playing, knowing that I'll only get 6-8 plays at the most before I leave? Do I begin it with my group and carry on solo until I find a different group? Do I keep it NIS until I'm settled into a new group?

Aaargh! Gamer problems...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm in a similar predicament, as I'm moving this Summer and losing my one group that would have any chance of playing through it with me.

Do I open and and begin playing, knowing that I'll only get 6-8 plays at the most before I leave? Do I begin it with my group and carry on solo until I find a different group? Do I keep it NIS until I'm settled into a new group?

I would say you are right on to play with your group, enjoy that, then carry on solo with all the characters after you move. Best of both worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grable
United States
Charlestown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
COVFEFE!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I want to play it but feel like if I start playing the campaign solo, it wouldn't be the same for a group. If I start with a group, we'll never get anywhere. What I would like to do is maybe wait until my son is old enough and we could play it together but he is only 7, I think it will be several years and by then, maybe I just buy another copy.

Yeah, gamer problems. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pirateclem wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Yeah, that's where I'm at too. I want to play it but feel like if I start playing the campaign solo, it wouldn't be the same for a group. If I start with a group, we'll never get anywhere. What I would like to do is maybe wait until my son is old enough and we could play it together but he is only 7, I think it will be several years and by then, maybe I just buy another copy.

Yeah, gamer problems. :-)

My son is almost 12 and I couldn't get him all the way through the Mechs vs. Minions campaign, so there's no hope for him as a partner for 90+ plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always print out the game reset files, and/or do a lot of bookkeeping, if you want to play through solo. Then the game will still be fresh for the group when they tackle it. Granted you'll know some of the things but it'll still be a new experience for the rest. That's the idea I've been tossing around myself, as I really want to delve into it, but my group may want to play as well. We just don't gather often enough to have it sitting there waiting to be played in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo there is no sense in saving this 90+ sessions game for the ideal group. Just play with whoever wants to join you as long as they like, there is a pretty big chance you won't even make it past 20 games together.

Then introduce it to another group giving them a thematic summary what happened so far in Gloomhaven and continue the legacy. This will give the new group a well developed set-up for the game, offering them an immersive set-up almost as if they expirienced this story themselves and creates a rhicher atmosphere than if you start from scratch.

In the end you will be the only one who may have played everything, but it will truly be an epic adventure spawning among quite a few gaming-groups and friends. Yet your friends will still expirience the legacy, unlock secrets and play a part in how this epic unfolds through their own decisions.

Let's face it, 90+ sessions will last quite a few years, so no need to fear "using this game up" for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Imo there is no sense in saving this 90+ sessions game for the ideal group. Just play with whoever wants to join you as long as they like, there is a pretty big chance you won't even make it past 20 games together.

Then introduce it to another group giving them a thematic summary what happened so far in Gloomhaven and continue the legacy. This will give the new group a well developed set-up for the game, offering them an immersive set-up almost as if they expirienced this story themselves and creates a rhicher atmosphere than if you start from scratch.

In the end you will be the only one who may have played everything, but it will truly be an epic adventure spawning among quite a few gaming-groups and friends. Yet your friends will still expirience the legacy, unlock secrets and play a part in how this epic unfolds through their own decisions.

Let's face it, 90+ sessions will last quite a few years, so no need to fear "using this game up" for quite some time.

This is really the only way to go. I'm thinking I'm just going to play it with whomever I can get to play it. Be it my current group, my son, solo, or random people at an open play night. My game will be my game, the unique experience that Isaac intended it to be. Come think about it, it might be fun to jump into other peoples' games midway to see how their's turned out different from mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I only had access to one game, I would definitely prefer to play it with our 3p group as a priority. That having been said, it looks like it will blow away Mage Knight as the supreme solo game IMHO.

I only backed 1 copy, but one of my gaming buddies backed 2 and has generously offered to use one of his for the group so that he and I also have copies to devote to solo play.

Gordon, you are a Prince among men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
geobaldi5 wrote:
You could always print out the game reset files, and/or do a lot of bookkeeping, if you want to play through solo. Then the game will still be fresh for the group when they tackle it. Granted you'll know some of the things but it'll still be a new experience for the rest. That's the idea I've been tossing around myself, as I really want to delve into it, but my group may want to play as well. We just don't gather often enough to have it sitting there waiting to be played in the meantime.

It's not "a lot of bookkeeping". It's a single checklist. It's actually exactly the same amount of bookkeeping you need to do with the map, just on paper rather than on the map itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a lot of book-keeping because you need to note your stuffs, what is available in the town shops, what is inside your road and city event decks, and what is inside your modifier deck. And you have to do it for both the multiplayer and solo game. So yeah, lots of bookkeeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind also, that (I'm speculating) the scenarios will play out differently if you replay them with different characters, and at a different difficulty level. I'm only on the first scenario, and I find myself wondering what it would be like to return later once my characters are higher level and I choose a higher difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda thinking that our 3p group gets the game to the table and we suck the marrow out of the multiplayer game initially (and continuously I expect). then after a while I'll start a solo campaign using 2 of the 3 remaining initial characters (or 3 if I'm feeling ambitious) and choose the opposite decisions to the multiplayer campaign to see the world unlock differently (to some extent). Having a separate game for solo will save having to track all he content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.