Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I start my first play, I want to make sure I understand how Solo Adventures work.

It seems multiple players can choose to face a Solo Adventure. If so, all players are required to play cards in an attempt to beat the adventure, but only one player will "win" the adventure. That player will get the printed rewards and add the card to their legend, while everyone else will simply have spent cards to avoid the fail penalty?

I feel like this could result in a runaway leader problem, where players are spending cards for zero reward.

Of course, having never played the game, I am curious how experienced players feel about it, or if I am reading the rules wrong.

Would it break the game to give the adventure's printed rewards to everyone who succeeded at the challenge, but only let the player who played the highest value add the card to their legend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I always encourage player to play may games the way they prefer, so if you want to do this it will not break the game.

Having said that, I do not think failing to win a solo adventure over someone else is a big penalty. You get your card(s) played dealt back to you so you do not lose cards and thematically it makes sense that you may have invested time and money in inventing teh Steam Engine, but someone else beat you to it, they get the fame, wealth and other rewards that come with it and you fade into history.

The game works very well as the rules are, and I think make the decisions somewhat more important when choosing to go on a solo adventure knowing others may be eyeing it also.

Play as you like and enjoy the game. It is meant to be fun, and if this change of rules will make it more fun for you and your gaming group, that works for me.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Richard! I hope I wasn't out of line with my question. I would never assume a game doesn't work before I actually play it. I didn't realize players always draw back to full hand size after the adventure. That definitely clears things up.

I am really looking forward to trying it out. So much so that I went ahead and ordered the Bounties expansion.

I hope we see more support for the game in the future. Can we also get a Dragon Rampage expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I have no issues with players asking questions or making house rules.

Sales of Legends of the American Frontier will determine future expansions. It is one of personal favorite games to play, so I will expand if game sale warrants it.

As far as Dragon Rampage, a new edition with simultaneous dice rolling will come out this year from Arcane Wonders. It is a great update of the original game, keeping the fun pieces and eliminating downtown and signifcantltly reducing the time the game runs.

Thanks for your interest.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.