Subject: Might just go nuts... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
and order a bunch of expansions...but which ones do you guys think I can miss? for sure, Im getting Dark City and Guardians, and probably Paint the Town Red...but is Cap 75th worth it? Which of the 3 remaining big boxes are good? (Civil, Secret 1, Secret 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with Captain America 75th, Civil War, nor Deadpool. TBH, Noir isn't speaking to me either. All the ones prior to this list are all worth getting in my book!

Really looking forward to finding out what's after Noir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
My play group absolutely loves Deadpool, and for what its worth, Im the only one of the four of us that reads comics. We also enjoyed Cap 75, but not as much as Deadpool as a group. I personally prefer Cap 75 and love Arnim Zola, but the rest of the group votes Deadpool all the way. The cards are goofy as [expletive] but this is a game, and as far as gameplay goes, Deadpool is very fun. My mother-in-law plays and loves that set. Yeah. Kind of weird. But, like I said, Deadpool is very fun.

Im gonna guess you wont be picking up Fantastic Four due to cost, which is unfortunate, probably the best small box they put out. Guardians is pretty good too. Wish theyd bring back shards and artifacts in newer sets, focus too actually. A lot of fun those.

We liked Secret Wars (both), some of the character's playsets are favorites among the group (even if they are affiliations like Cabal).

Civil War is probably the one Id say buy last. Unless they roll out a volume 2, as its one sided and feels incomplete. Two of our players have trouble reading the divided cards, though in principle is an interesting mechanic. Its not a bad set, very playable and should be bought at some point, just think others are more enjoyable.

Honestly, if you're in cost savings mode, I'd tell you to pass on all three of those big boxes for now (unless you want to play mastermind mode, which is really fun if you have at least three players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am HOPING to find Fantastic Four at PAX East in March
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
I don't where you stand on the Villains concept, but Fear Itself was a really fun set too. Mediocre story line, characters using names that make them unrecognizable and you play villains fighting heroes, but the mechanics and the art are top notch.

Except Nul Smash. I hate that card. And all cards like it (looking at you Ronin!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indecision101 wrote:
and order a bunch of expansions...but which ones do you guys think I can miss? for sure, Im getting Dark City and Guardians, and probably Paint the Town Red...but is Cap 75th worth it? Which of the 3 remaining big boxes are good? (Civil, Secret 1, Secret 2)

Dark City and Guardians of the Galaxy are essential, Paint the town red is fun and worth it. After that I would recommend Villains. Awesome card sets, great variety, and you get a playmat.

I've been playing some Civil War, and I like the Villains and Masterminds in it, but the heroes fall flat for me. I have not played the secret wars expansions. I can say I have the most fun when constructing a thematic team, against a somewhat thematic set of villains. The more I know the characters, the more fun it is. When I don't know the characters, it's still good, but I'm just less excited. This is all to say, I recommend getting any expansions where the heroes and villains really excite you. If you feel a bit underwhelmed, it's probably safe to skip. Once your expansions build up a bit, you will really have a LOT of play and replayability. If I didn't have Civil War, I would;'t miss it, I have SO MUCH game with Base Set, Dark City, GotG, PTTR, and Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City, f4, pttr, gotg, deadpool(for the lolz) are all must haves. Villains is a waste, Fear Itself and Secret War is too fringe even for me, cap 75 is boring, civil war is okay. Just my two cents anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Secret Wars v2 is one of my favourite expansions. The mechanics in it are really fun.

I think Deadpool sounds fun if you're going to be regularly playing as a group with friends, but if you're more of a solo player, one of the other small boxes will probably suit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy all the big box sets. I would rate them Dark City, Secret Wars 1, Secret Wars 2 and then Civil War. Civil War would probably rank a little better the heroes were a bit stronger. Seems like the divided cards are versatile, but maybe a little weaker because of their multi-use.

The easiest ones to skip are Villains, and Fear Itself. While there are some good things in those, the Villain terminology seems to be dead. You're also paying to duplicate a lot of things in the form of basic cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Indecision101 wrote:

Oh you sweet summer child whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like civil war OK but the divided cards are very hard to read and extend playing time needlessly, in my opinion. Capt America seemed boring and was the only expansion I passed on. I am skipping NOIR also. All the rest are must haves. We play this game at least twice a week, you will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyda wrote:
Indecision101 wrote:

Oh you sweet summer child whistle

Came here to leave a similar comment. PAX East is not the place to go to pick up out of print games. The vendors there will be stocking as many copies of the "it" games of the season. I too went there wide-eyed thinking I would find bountiful treasure, but there are no "flea market" board game vendors at PAX East hoarding the good stuff.

But, check the vendor list as the date comes closer for game publishers, they will have goodies! You can sometimes grab Kickstarter exclusives promos and hard to find stuff from Cool Mini or Not, Game Salute, and White Wizard Games. Asmadi will probably be there with a purchasable prototype expansion for One Deck Dungeon, or some other new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did find Ticket to Ride Africa at PAX last year, and it had been out of print for a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.