United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
VuduJoie pulled out Breakaway Rider for our gaming lunch today. Stephen, Malloc, VuduJoie, and I sat down for a three stage game, dealt the six cards, and started off.

On the first stage, we were learning the game and very loose about the not being able to draw an extra card if you forget to draw rule. Stephen had all of the bad luck and drew all five of the wind cards, which set him back against the leader quite a bit. At the end of the stage, however, he had managed to pull back to the peloton and had no penalty markers. VuduJoie and I had caught up as well, but Malloc held the dominant position by finishing on a hill as the cards ran out for the first time.

Stage two was brutal. Stephen continued to pull his unfair share of the wind cards, but VuduJoie pulled nearly all of the 50 cards and drove a strong finish. I had 15 tokens at the end of the stage, Malloc only 13 because he was able to cash in his victory. Stephen was in the twenties.

Stage three had us all understanding the strategy we needed to play: take down VuduJoie. Malloc hopped out to an early lead, then I became leader for most of the rest of the stage. I tried to put down the big cards, but VuduJoie was able to match most of them. I took the stage, but like a gaming Lance Armstrong, VuduJoie took the race and remained with the yellow jersey.

Breakaway Rider is no Mag Blast, but it certainly has the race elements to keep our lunchers coming back for more. And as we draw closer to the Tour de France, I suspect the game will be out on the table quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.