lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A question for RSP's religious people:
How do you relate your religion to Islamic refugees coming to your country?

Clearly the temptation is for cynics to tell you what you believe and then criticise you for not acting in accordance with those imposed beliefs.

Whilst that approach might be emotionally satisfying for a minute or two perhaps we can cope with more than our fantasies.

Do you see your religion having teachings that bear upon how Islamic refugees are to be treated?

Do you exemplify the application of those teachings in your approach to Islamic refugees coming to your country or do you find that there are other factors that have you acting at variance to those teachings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Well I contacted a refugee organization over a year and a half ago and volunteered to help house a family in my city.

They said they have more people willing to help at this point than people being allowed in, so I should write my congress and senators.

Which I did.

Right now there are more people in the USA willing to help than even Obama's government was willing to let in. With Trump's assholry... who knows how much harder it is going to be to help directly.

But for the record I have gotten several e-mails from CHRISTIAN organizations asking me to write to the new government and make clear the Christian community wants the USA to let more refugees in. Screen them... sure, but LET THEM IN so we can help them.

Additionally many other agencies are sending aid overseas to help.

So many many Christians obviously feel as I do that our faith calls us to offer help to all people in need, no matter their nationality or faith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Meerkat wrote:
So many many Christians obviously feel as I do that our faith calls us to offer help to all people in need, no matter their nationality or faith.

#AtrueChristian kiss

I don't consider myself adhering to a specific religion, but I believe in what we call God, so I'll jump in. We are all fellow travelers on this tiny blue pebble floating through space. We should care for each other when there is a need.

But, being realistic, yeah, vetting is definitely needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Explained many, many times previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Yog-Sothoth says they can go to Lost in Time and Spacegoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
Yeah, but it says the same thing about non-refugees so that doesn't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Vetting ALREADY HAPPENS. It's something like a two-year process for these folks to be admitted as refugees, because of the extremely comprehensive vetting that is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

Vetting ALREADY HAPPENS. It's something like a two-year process for these folks to be admitted as refugees, because of the extremely comprehensive vetting that is done.

Yes, I've pointed this out several times in several different threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
Yeah, but it says the same thing about non-refugees so that doesn't help.

It helps Yog-Sothoth! Hail Yog-Sothoth!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
We're for 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke 10 25-37
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think we have an obligation to help refugees and that the government should at worst not hamper those efforts. I think there is a role for security screening in admitting refugees into the country, but that should be driven by information on possible threats and what techniques are actually effective at identifying likely terrorists, not based on fear and security theater. I think the immigration XO is a terrible idea from both a moral and a broader policy perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
We are commanded to treat foreigners well because we were foreigners ourselves once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Luke 10 25-37

Is that a box score?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
My view matches Lynette's. (I'm a Christian.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utah generally leads the nation in things like this, taking in refugees and finding homes for them. I think this ties directly to how our faith is about reaching out past our own culture and helping others in the places where they live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that greeting people at the airport with my traditional chant of "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne" is not being well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trish and I have been talking about how we could take in a refugee family. We're not sure how we would balance that with our daughters' interests which -- for selfish rather than moral reasons -- are our priority. In the interim we're reaching out to universities, many of which have foreign students who would normally go home during the summer and now aren't sure if they would be readmitted.

So, maybe a coed or two instead of a family with crying babies. About the same, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Chad_Ellis wrote:
So, maybe a coed or two instead of a family with crying babies. About the same, really.

Yeah ..... don't think the wife's gonna go for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
I will add that we are looking harder at the flip side of this issue.

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we know a lot of hispanic families where the parents are here illegally (and working hard) but their kids are US citizens. They are seriously scared that they may be deported and they don't know what will happen to their kids.

We're trying to explore connecting the community and our church and see if we can help provide a safety net.

Families on both sides meet and get comfortable with each other. If the worst happens, the kids already have a place to go and won't go into the foster and or other state system. Hopefully creating better stability in keeping siblings together and kids in their same schools.

It's just a germ of an idea now, but it is a real fear in this community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I feel that greeting people at the airport with my traditional chant of "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne" is not being well received.

Careful with that: you might end up getting nominated for Deputy Assistant of State for Consular Affairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Bahá’í and my religion teaches me to treat others better than I would myself want to be treated, and that's something I try to put in to practice in my life. So I also apply this to my feelings towards refugees.

The vast majority of these people were perfectly happy living their lives and getting on with things until their countries were thrown into chaos, of all the refugees I have meet, all of them have told me that coming to the U.K. was the last thing they wanted to do.

Fate has meant they had to run, and now they are struggling to adapt to a life they didn't want and dealing with hostile people who don't even want them in the country. If I were in their shoes, I could only hope to get a little compassion show towards me, and that's what they need the most right now, compassion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Christian and a follower of the words of Christ. So I will always welcome refugees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Christian so i believe in helping as many as possible. Bringing 30,000 people to the US is immoral when we could help more than 300,000 instead by settling them in the region where they have more hope of successfully integrating with society.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.