Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I'm trying to get a group of mates into gaming who are all, how should I say 'manly men' who would be happy to play Poker but beyond that they have the Monopoly view of board games.

I didn't want to go in with Catan or Stone Age as they may not get involved with collecting wood and gold so I did some research on games that were explosive, money oriented and negotiation styles

I ended up with Lords of Vegas and I'm the Boss. I then ordered I'm the Boss from Amazon prime yesterday to get it here for tonight when the guys are coming round.

It turned up but it is an awful cut down edition of the game:

- money all has Sid Sackson on it which whilst I respect he was a great designer, it doesnt look that great.

- Investor cards have just got the name, no details/slogans. Plus they have changed the names like the cool George Goldman who sounds like an investor to Freddie Fox which is just stupid and sounds more like a crap DJ

- the clan cards are exactly the same as the Investor cards so there is no real feeling that they are in fact clan members.

- the board doesn't say the investors names just there intials

I think the money and lack on personality on the cards will really dampen the theme here. I may be wrong as I have never seen, played or owned the original so I am hoping someone will pipe up and say all of the above doesn't matter and the new edition is better because of a, b and c reasons....

There is only one copy of the original game on Ebay Uk who won't post!!!

I have the guys coming round in a couple of hours and really want to crack the game open but I know inside I will be seething!! lol But I'm thinking do I just accept it as I will be struggling to find this game anywhere else.

So does anyone have a copy of the 2010 Face to Face edition to either trade or sell me so that I can send this crappy version back to Amazon. The one I'm looking for is this one:

Cheers Guys

Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My car is the wrong color! I need a trade!!!

Pete (simultaneously understands and does not understand the frustration)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Sheriff of Nottingham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Coup is my go-to game for situations like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've got sherrif of not and resistance which are both good shouts.

I got the guy on Ebay to post it in the end and so glad I sent the new version back.

The ebay copy turned up 2 days later in mint condition and is way way better than the Gryphon games version.

The money cards are bigger and actually look like money.
The board has proper names on it and not just letters
The investor cards all have occupations and strap lines for the characters.
The clan cards all have their own identities rather than copies of the investor cards which makes sesnse as if you just sent an investor on a trip then how could you then play the same clan card which has the same investor name on it.
Also the box is bigger (ticket to ride size)

I know these are all little things but at the end of the day the game is pretty much a card game so if that detracts from the theme then its a tad annoying...I'm big on theme btw.

Its a shame that the new edition is actually worse than the originals and makes me feel they are cheaping out and spoiling a top game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.