Subject: Reputation - completionist vs practicalist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty sure this isn't a spoiler, since it's printed in the rule book, but on the eve of receiving my copy of Gloomhaven, I'm torn about what to do about the party reputation unlocks at +/-10 and +/-20.

On the completionist side, it seems the best route would be to create two polar opposite parties, one a band of pillaging bandits, the other a troop of altruistic heroes, in order to reach all rep goals.

On the practical side, there seem to be a lot of issues with this. First of all, I'm not planning on ever having more than 4 unique players, so aside from manipulating rep, there's no reason to form two parties. Second of all, I could envision a situation where we'd become locked into one of the parties. For example, let's say that we're grinding out rep with the bandits, who we ultimately don't want to stick with, but upon reaching -20 rep, the bandits are significantly through their life goals...it wouldn't seem worth it to abandon them at this point. There's also something a tiny bit unsettling about using a party as just a means to grind reputation, rather than fully embracing a reputation choice.

Of course, this all hinges on how easily reputation is gained and lost.

What will you be doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking the same thing. What I hope I'll do is complete an entire playthrough of the game without thinking of the meta too much, and whatever unlocks, unlocks. Then I'll hopefully do another playthrough in the future with a mind to roleplay a party that is completely different and makes different choices, unlocking many of the things that we didn't previously.

The reality is that I have a 2 month old kid and completing 1 playthrough over the next year is daunting enough. Thankfully the game will still be there on my shelf, so maybe the second playthrough will be with my kid in 10 years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KBusterG wrote:
Pretty sure this isn't a spoiler, since it's printed in the rule book, but on the eve of receiving my copy of Gloomhaven, I'm torn about what to do about the party reputation unlocks at +/-10 (...)

I looked at the spoilers for both classes and decided which one I would prefer to play. Without spoiling anything, I felt like it was an easy choice for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
tricil wrote:
KBusterG wrote:
Pretty sure this isn't a spoiler, since it's printed in the rule book, but on the eve of receiving my copy of Gloomhaven, I'm torn about what to do about the party reputation unlocks at +/-10 (...)

I looked at the spoilers for both classes and decided which one I would prefer to play. Without spoiling anything, I felt like it was an easy choice for me.

I don't even need to look at the spoilers to know the "sun" class is some lawful-good type and the "moon" class is probably more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may influence your decision ... should you care to look at it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you achieve a Personal Quest (i.e. retire your character), a new class will become unlocked. Both those classes are on at least one card in the Personal Quest deck, so either may become unlocked eventually regardless of your party's reputation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for that Marty! I was struggling with the same concern. Now I can just play it without being influenced by my desire to unlock through reputation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Yeager
United States
Herdon
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the +10/-10 rewards, the first career goal I pulled gave me the -10 rep reward right away, so no need to go down in rep as a result. I imagine there are multiple ways to unlock a lot of the stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, thank you Marty. Grinding rep seems similar to choosing an event option after reviewing the possible outcomes; deciding on a course by weighing the rewards/penalties. I'd rather play organically, but not at the cost of missing content...but that doesn't seem to be a problem now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
This may influence your decision ... should you care to look at it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you achieve a Personal Quest (i.e. retire your character), a new class will become unlocked. Both those classes are on at least one card in the Personal Quest deck, so either may become unlocked eventually regardless of your party's reputation.

Now that's a relief. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.