Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all. Eagerly anticipating my copy to arrive. After watching Rahdos walk through as well as reading the rules a few times a few things I need clarification on.

1. Advantage/disadvantage: the only thing mentioned in the rules which happens in every instance is ranged combat at melee range causes disadvantage for the attacker. Are all other instances of advantage and disadvantage based on cards played? Just want to make sure there isn't a fixed rule I missed.

2. Movement: if I clear a room and there are no open doors, do I still need to play cards to move? Essentially how does movement after combat work?

3. Battle Goals: if not completed by the end of the scenario do we keep these for the next scenario , or draw new ones? Rahdo implies that they are kept, the rules do not.

4. Blessings/curses: are any cards removed from your modifier deck when these are added to keep at the default deck limit? The rules state they are removed after the scenario. Are they ever gained outside of a scenario? If so.. how does that work?

Thanks for the assistance in advance!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
Hey all. Eagerly anticipating my copy to arrive. After watching Rahdos walk through as well as reading the rules a few times a few things I need clarification on.

1. Advantage/disadvantage: the only thing mentioned in the rules which happens in every instance is ranged combat at melee range causes disadvantage for the attacker. Are all other instances of advantage and disadvantage based on cards played? Just want to make sure there isn't a fixed rule I missed.

2. Movement: if I clear a room and there are no open doors, do I still need to play cards to move? Essentially how does movement after combat work?

3. Battle Goals: if not completed by the end of the scenario do we keep these for the next scenario , or draw new ones? Rahdo implies that they are kept, the rules do not.

4. Blessings/curses: are any cards removed from your modifier deck when these are added to keep at the default deck limit? The rules state they are removed after the scenario. Are they ever gained outside of a scenario? If so.. how does that work?

Thanks for the assistance in advance!!

1. Cards/items will give advantage or disadvantage. The only solid rule is that ranged attacks against adjacent enemies faces disadvantage, the rest is situational based on cards used, items or perhaps monster abilities.

2. There is no 'after combat'. You use two cards per round the entire way through. Just because you killed all the monsters in a room doesn't mean you suddenly start playing differently. You still use cards to move about. Remember, each card has the extra abilities of 'attack 2' and 'move 2', so you're never without a movement card.

3. They're just for the battle. Completed or not, they're lost at the end.

4. There is no 'deck limit'. There are some road/city events that might add blessings or curses to your deck for the following game.

Edit: Added linebreaks between answers for readability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Rhinehart
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Semi-English Nonsense
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that Rahdo's runthrough predates the final version of the Rules by about a year, which may explain some inconsistencies.

1. I believe that any other instance of this is on cards, yes.

2. There is no 'after combat'. You have to play two cards every single turn. So, it's probably never a good idea to linger in an empty room too long, as you are just wasting precious cards.

3. They are discarded at the end of the scenario, fulfilled or not.

4. You just add these. You can get them outside of a scenario as a result from road/city events, I believe. In that case, you just shuffle it into your deck.

I am not 100% on these but this is my interpretation from the rules.

Edit: ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Diaz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just to add to #4, from the rule book:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
Once per visit to Gloomhaven, each player can donate 10 gold to the Sanctuary of the Great Oak, a temple and hospital in the city. Doing so allows the donating player to add two BLESS attack modifier cards to their attack modfier deck for the next scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you gentlemen. Very helpful! The rule book is outstanding just had needed a few clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Muddle and Strengthen conditions give Disadvantage/Advantage as well (for a whole turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.