Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Bourgeois
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
We're around 5 games into our campaign (We've unlocked a few boxes upto the Octopus one)

Figuring hull would be important one of our players upgraded his Hull twice.

He now feels stuck in a situation where he is way behind all the other players who had taken useful upgrades like Raiding and Explorattion instead.

I read somewhere that a ship hull is it's hitpoints, but there is no rule in the book supporting this, nor any space to sticky one in.

Is there something coming up or a rule we are missing here?

What can I tell this player to soothe his angst?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hold is not hit points, but it is the defense value when raided by an opponent's ships (i.e., how many successes they need to avoid being damaged). It does have some important uses:

Box 2-3 spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hold is mostly useful for getting 6 goods together for building colonies and carrying multiple Relics. Beyond that, we haven't found it to be of much use.

Beyond those uses of hold, we haven't found it to be a very good investment, though. None of our games seem to last long enough for buying and selling lots of goods to be worthwhile (which would be the other reason to want a large hold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A ship's Hold acts as its defense in a ship-to-ship raid. So somebody attacks his ship, there is a greater chance the attacker will sink, or at least take damage. If you have opened Box 1, you should have both of the rules stickers for Raiding a Ship on Page 18 (I think). There have been reports about missing stickers, so make sure you've got those, and if you don't, somebody on here can provide you with the text for them.

Another good reason to improve Hold is in Box 2, however. Spoilers for Box 2:
In order to found colonies, you need to be able to carry at least six goods among your two ships. While you can get there with brown upgrades, it's faster to have the natural space on the ships from improvements so you don't have to waste time/gold/goods to get the space from upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold is important for two reasons, at least in the portion of the game you're in:
(Box 1 spoiler)
In raids against ships, the defending flagship's hold is used as the difficulty for the raid endeavor -- so it affects how much damage the attacking ship takes. (This seems opposite to me, but it's how it is.)

(Box 2 spoiler)
Having enough hold is fairly critical for colonizing. There are ways around it (ship upgrades or the Smuggler), but if you have improved your ships to have a collective hold of 6, then it makes colonization much easier.

But no, the hold is not "hit points".

EDIT: Damn ninjas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.