Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross» Forums » General

Subject: Waning Crescent ARR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Treese

Du Bois
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Just finished an email playtest game of The Waning Crescent against designer Andy Loakes. I managed to pull out a win as the Christians. After losing St. Elmo and Senglea, the Christians had barricaded the streets of Birgu Town and were slowly withdrawing into Castle St. Angelo when the Relief Force arrived and defeated the Ottomans after 16 weeks of being under siege. The Christians, disease, etc. managed to whittle down the besiegers so that the relief force was able to defeat them. Andy is designing another interesting siege game. The use of cards to activate units, for events, to help and hinder the besiegers and the besieged, etc. makes for a tense game as well as the variable turn length. Neither player knows when the Week Ends card is going to turn up ending the week (Turn). You need to use cards to do everything but the more cards that you draw the bigger the possibility for the Week Ends cards showing up. This all make for a very tense game with lots of replayability. The image below is the situation prior to the Relief Force arriving.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool , I love sieges !!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Only thing I find odd is the choice of color for the counters. I always associate 'Red' with the Knights of Malta.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a valid point. Still time to change. Perhaps red for the Christians and green for the Ottomans?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a better choice.
White is too plain for either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Red and green makes much more sense, but you need to be careful about colour blindness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Red and green makes much more sense, but you need to be careful about colour blindness.


Good point Nick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
Sint-Genesius-Rode
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Red and green makes much more sense, but you need to be careful about colour blindness.


Good point Nick.


For the colorblinded people it might be an option to work with a small faction specific symbol in a corner?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darthvegeta800 wrote:
andyloakes wrote:
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Red and green makes much more sense, but you need to be careful about colour blindness.


Good point Nick.


For the colorblinded people it might be an option to work with a small faction specific symbol in a corner?


There are only 4 unit types per side (all with unique images)so they should be fairly readily distinguished - still, we'll make sure we have distinguishable colors even if it means CB folk will see them as distinctive shades of the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to blow uo the areas near the forts, and shrink those away?

I see waaayy too many stacks massed against one another, with no open space between.

As 95% of the action occurred on the fort line, recommend expanding that area, and shrinking the rest.

V/r
Karsten
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karstenengelmann wrote:
Is it possible to blow uo the areas near the forts, and shrink those away?

I see waaayy too many stacks massed against one another, with no open space between.

As 95% of the action occurred on the fort line, recommend expanding that area, and shrinking the rest.

V/r
Karsten


We've discussed doing that, slightly, in the area around St Elmo if it gets congested during playtest. So far it seems OK though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.