monte fraser
msg tools
my girlfriend wants to join in game night but doesn't enjoy games like zombicide as it can be too overwhelming and she feels like the team ends up just kind of guiding her where they want her to go so she doesn't feel like shes apart of the game as much. which of these games over the most independence without having too many rules? any input would be great! and other suggestions! thank you for any posts thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Tilpunov
Germany
Bad Homburg
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, frankly speaking you just don't need to guide her.
EH and MM are about exploring.
MM - is really about following the clues, fighting and overcoming the obstacles. She can't really explore where she wants, she will need to follow the clues, and since you were guiding her in Zombiecide, it means, that you'll end up guiding her in MM.
As for EH, there are more options (Deal with gates, get better stuff, finish the mysteries, etc), so in theory she might improvise more. But again, there is stuff, that she will have to do, in order to contribute to the winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my wife and another couple Tried and wanted to enjoy Eldritch Horror...sadly we could not. EH had a few nice things about it, but it didn't have that "excitement" about finding things and closing gates was okay...like (Toy Story 2 was okay) Have not played Mansions...as we have accepted the quest as Mice in Mice and Mystics...good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monte fraser
msg tools
yeah she was just overwhelmed buy all the things you can do. it may just be that she wont give it a chance but i'd rather introduce her to something she likes more then get more complicated from there. anyone here suggest mysterium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Mansions of Madness might work well for her. The decisions are not too vast, yet they are still interesting to me. Do I fight this monster or should I run past him? Do I go into this room? Do I spend time on this puzzle? It's an investigation and the correct thing to do is not always immediately apparent and this is especially so if no one has played the scenario you chose. I think that really cuts down on the quarterbacking you might get in a lot of cooperative games. She won't need to have knowledge of a lot of rules to make her own decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackink wrote:
yeah she was just overwhelmed buy all the things you can do. it may just be that she wont give it a chance but i'd rather introduce her to something she likes more then get more complicated from there. anyone here suggest mysterium?

If Zombicide overwhelmes her, then yes, Mysterium might be a much better game to start her off with than either Eldritch Horror or MoM. And honestly, my group leaves out the unecessarily fiddly voting system the US version added for some incomprehensible reason. (We had the Polish version first and think it plays better without the added drek. I think you can still download the rules here on bgg.)

Since you seem to like horror themes, Betrayal at House on the Hill might be a good pick after Mysterium. The number of things you can do on your turn isn't as overwhelming. And, you could choose to not have her be the traitor until she's played a game or two and has seen how it works. It's a good gateway game to some of the bigger horror titles.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. She'll probably find that the more games she plays the easier it wil be to pick up the rules, since similar mechanics tend to be used in multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monte fraser
msg tools
thank you for the input, will be sure to take all points into consideration, while also asking her what she thinks she'd like more. might go with mansions of madness as you get quite a bit more game for the price compared to mysterium from what i've seen. as i'm also very heavy into miniatures games.and maybe if i give it to her and se plays through it first solo if thats possible then she'll have a better feel for it. as i solo'd zombicide a few times before we had played.really hoping she does start to open up to games based on the fact that they do mostly share similar mechanics across the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Jackink wrote:
thank you for the input, will be sure to take all points into consideration, while also asking her what she thinks she'd like more. might go with mansions of madness as you get quite a bit more game for the price compared to mysterium from what i've seen. as i'm also very heavy into miniatures games.and maybe if i give it to her and se plays through it first solo if thats possible then she'll have a better feel for it. as i solo'd zombicide a few times before we had played.really hoping she does start to open up to games based on the fact that they do mostly share similar mechanics across the board

With the information you gave (she like Clue and doesn't like Zombicide) Mysterium seems like a much better choice for the money than Mansions of Madness. Remember, you're looking for a game she'd like, not the game you'd enjoy most for the money. with an off hand hope that she'd also like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monte fraser
msg tools
I'll see if my local game store can order it in and hopefully she will like it. i'll see what she really likes about clue then maybe that will give me a better idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Jackink wrote:
I'll see if my local game store can order it in and hopefully she will like it. i'll see what she really likes about clue then maybe that will give me a better idea

Yeah, it's always best to ask and get a better idea what you're really aiming for. My thought is that there really isn't much to Clue aside from the deduction, which points more toward Mysterium. If that is what she likes about clue it might also be worth looking through some other deduction games before you order anything. A non-cooperative game (again more like clue) might not be a bad choice since it would also take care of most problems with other people telling her what to do on her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Mysterium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monte fraser
msg tools
betrayal of the house on the hill is available at my local game store to rent so i will probably try that to see if my girlfriend enjoys that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monte fraser
msg tools
mysterium and mansions of madness for myself is probably what i'll end up getting.if all else fails i'll see if i can't find a really cool version of clue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackink wrote:
mysterium and mansions of madness for myself is probably what i'll end up getting.if all else fails i'll see if i can't find a really cool version of clue

Clue: The Great Museum Caper Players take turns between being the burglar and those trying to catch the burglar. This might be a perfect game to pull her into further gaming. This is a great intro game to play before playing any other hidden movement games like Spectre Ops, Letters to Whitechapel, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackink wrote:
betrayal of the house on the hill is available at my local game store to rent so i will probably try that to see if my girlfriend enjoys that

Is there someone there who can it to you there? If not, and apologies if you already realize this, but I'd suggest you learn it before you play with the gf. Some of the skills used in miniature games are introduced here, like rolling stats, movement stats, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.