J C

California
msg tools
mbmb
[EDIT: The game has been signed with a publisher and has changed quite a bit since this post, so I'm taking down the links for now...]

Single Combat is a one-on-one swordfighting simulation card game with a unique timeline mechanic -- the emphasis is on timing your attacks and defenses to outmaneuver your opponent.

The cards in your deck represent all the moves you can perform with your chosen weapon. To play, each player needs a deck -- you can choose between the Longsword deck (slower but powerful) and the Shortsword & Shield deck (quicker but less powerful).

There are a total of 54 cards per deck (six pages), including armor and quick-glance rules cards. A starter version of the game can be played with just 18 cards per deck (the first two pages). Games last 10 to 30 minutes.

This is a relatively complex game, ideal for at least moderately experienced gamers. I believe the timeline mechanic is unique, which might make it a bit tricky to learn at first. It has been playtested with friends and with strangers (thanks to Victory Point Cafe in Berkeley!), but never without me there to explain the rules. I'm eager to discover whether the rules document gets the idea across. If you give this a shot, please do let me know how it goes!

Rules: [removed]

Longsword Deck: [removed]

Shortsword & Shield Deck: [removed]

https://tabletopgeneration.com/company/pastbedtimegamedesign...

https://www.facebook.com/PastBedtimeGameDesign/

@SingleCombatCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Giles
United Kingdom
Dorset, England
flag msg tools
designer
Made a quick thing for TTS (Tabletop Simulator) with all the cards and decks sorted out, so I can test it.

I've made the saved game .json file available so others can download it to playtest your game too, if they wish. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B27ysevhpB7jYjBxc0tFd3RKWmM...

To use it, download the file, and (for Windows users) put it in User > Documents > My Games > Tabletop Simulator > Saves > Chest. Then in TTS, click Meeple > Saved Objects, and "Single Combat Playtest" will be in the list. Drag it onto the table or click it to load it in.

Just so you know, this means the card sheet images are online (so I can play with my brother over the internet, and other playtesters can use them).

If you would like these taken down, I'll do so. Otherwise, I'm sure it will make playtesting your game easier for people who have TTS.

(Not played it yet, but feedback will follow...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C

California
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, this is just the excuse I needed to finally check out Tabletop Simulator. Thanks for putting it in. Looking forward to hearing how it worked out for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C

California
msg tools
mbmb
I've been trying out Tabletop Simulator. Seems like this could work. If anyone is interested in playtesting Single Combat via TTS, I'd love to virtually sit in and either help explain or (even better) watch as you try to figure it out. Let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willing to give this a shot if I can find someone to give it a go with me. I teach historical swordsmanship for a living (and longsword and sword & buckler ["shortsword & shield"] are both weapons I teach), so my perspective might be a little different than your average gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C

California
msg tools
mbmb
Perspective from a sword expert would be fantastic! Let me know if I can help get you set up. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi @JC,

I came across your game from a link of Jamie Stegmaier's to tabletopgeneration.com

My brother and I have been developing a game for the past few years, and it utilises a very similar time-based mechanic to yours.

Our game has a completely different theme (Sci-Fi). We have a site at https://gravitasboardgames.com.

Our game is in a bit of limbo at the moment. We attended a fantastic protospiel here in Sydney last July, and came away with a lot of suggested changes, which we're still working our way through to get back to a good fun game.

We did a post that discusses how we're using the mechanic:
https://gravitasboardgames.com/2016/03/31/command-cards-in-f..., and a WIP Page here on BGG as well.

I think it's a really interesting mechanic - kind of 'real-time', but turn-based at the same time. Be great to see how you're implementing the mechanic, and compare with our own utilisation.

Maybe we can swap play-testing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C

California
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Michael-

Thanks for getting in touch. I recently signed with a publisher, and they've asked me not to discuss too much about it at the moment. Hopefully we'll be able to touch base about all this at some point in the future!

Thanks.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! You're living the dream!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.