Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Art direction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Enzan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian smith is no doubt one of the best fantasy illustrator of our time.
His art & imagination completely captures the mood,disposition & character of subject only too well. Chronopia, GW chaos warriors will never be the same grimdark without his contributions. Even his illustrated zombidicide BP expansion was singled out & snapped up. He's also why I have pledged the now motionless KS Wrath of demons (what a monkey God!!).
But I am afraid to say that in Rising Sun, the supposedly Japanese looked strangely Balinese. It's a bit like what Michael Bay does Bayformers.
Will be pledging all in no doubt but more so for the mythology theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also somewhat disappointed that the art is distancing too much from traditional medieval Japanese costumes and armor.

I understand that it is a fantasy game, and the Rising Sun characters are as historically faithful as the vikings in Blood Rage were, but I'm still disappointed that I can't get any traditional Samurai and Ashigaru minis.

In fact, of the five different factions shown, there's not a single one having Samurai in full suits of armor, or Ashigaru with the conic jingasa hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Metcalf
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
badge
You must be, or you wouldn’t have come here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited for this game, as I am a rabid Legend of the Five Rings fan (mostly Scorpion Clan Coup/Clan War and Gold Edition eras). I like the way AEG incorporated themes/motifs into the clans while still keeping it mostly traditional in appearance (save for the occasional scantily-clad courtier/samurai). I wish the art direction for Rising Sun was going more in that direction.

However, if the game itself is solid (theme and mechanics), it may overcome this small concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well the game is set in feudal Canada according to Eric lang so Maybe thats why?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, is that just a joke or did he actually say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chromit90 wrote:
I am also somewhat disappointed that the art is distancing too much from traditional medieval Japanese costumes and armor.

I understand that it is a fantasy game, and the Rising Sun characters are as historically faithful as the vikings in Blood Rage were, but I'm still disappointed that I can't get any traditional Samurai and Ashigaru minis.

In fact, of the five different factions shown, there's not a single one having Samurai in full suits of armor, or Ashigaru with the conic jingasa hat.

You never know. I doubt they've shown us everything. There are always stretch goals and add-ons. Don't lose hope yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enzan wrote:
But I am afraid to say that in Rising Sun, the supposedly Japanese looked strangely Balinese.

I'm from Indonesia. They don't look Balinese to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that it is set during the Poutine Shogunate.

mordai wrote:
Well the game is set in feudal Canada according to Eric lang so Maybe thats why?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
memetichazard wrote:
Wait, is that just a joke or did he actually say that?

Both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This river dragon felt quite Miyasaki to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed! It looks like they cleaned him up quite a bit after he ate everyone else at the bathhouse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.