Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: I felt the need to alter the results of a city event card. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
My friend and I were playing a Scoundrel and a Mindthief, two characters that we are playing as underworld types. My character's personal quest even focuses on acquiring wealth.

Unfortunately, a city card put us in a scenario where the result was so completely contrary to the choice that our characters would make that we felt the need to alter the results. I won't spoil it, but it was generally an npc doing something stupid, we assisted, and then the npc tried to blame us and charge us 10 gold because of his/her stupidity.

As a thief and a sewer rat who value our own property, there is no way in hell we would just turn around and say "Gee, you messed up, but here's our money because you said we owe you!"

I know I'll probably be hated on for altering the results, but it was a ridiculous encounter for two such as us. I only tried to help because I thought I could rob the guy/girl. Turning around and paying them was never in the plan.

As a result, we refused to pay the 10g (cumulative) and changed it to a -1 reputation because we just flat up ran away as we denied the charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me it would make more sense to amend the narrative instead of the outcome, but whatever works for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#altgloomhaven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is for you to enjoy and bending the story a little bit to match your characters seems a good idea. A DM-less adventure can only go this far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an interesting change.

Reading the rulebook yesterday, I was intrigued by the section talking about not sharing specific information to your playmates. Knowing I was going to play this game solo, I previously ignored this bit of the rules.

But reading fully, I got it! The language examples Isaac uses clearly demonstrate the type of conversation you'd have with your pals around a game of D&D.

I realized the examples he gave that aren't appropriate are the kinds of things said in a game like Descent. In those games, you have a pretty direct plan of attack and kinda know how much damage you can and want to do.

All that being said, it seems Isaac is wanting to promote a D&D atmosphere over a Descent-like atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Seems to me it would make more sense to amend the narrative instead of the outcome, but whatever works for you.

Right. If your characters' stories are important to keep intact, then just change the narrative to one that fits better.

For example, instead of the guy getting mad and making you pay him, maybe his "accident" was a distraction and he picked your pocket during the confusion. You aren't the only "professionals" in Gloomhaven, after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the grand scheme of things that's not going to change the game much unless you make a significant habit of it. Just remember to take the good with the bad. Try not to reverse a bad outcome into a good outcome either if it can be helped. I have a feeling you want the bad reputation which is why you chose that as the "penalty" which means you essentially had no bad choices. As someone above mentioned, consider changing the narrative instead to fit the outcome. Maybe the person was actually a thief who stole YOUR money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Koor

Missouri
msg tools
mb
Actually, no. We hadn't been playing to gain negative rep. We're playing the in a normal way, not trying to be evil. When these two characters head off, we'll play those characters in whichever light we feel they should be played. Originally the combination had been the Mindthief with the Spellweaver (that was a terrible two player combo) and during one of our encounters we were given the option to steal. We rolled on it, since he said his Mindthief would be an opportunist, having come from the sewers. I said that my long-lived Orchid would not see material possessions as important enough to bother with and so wouldn't even think to steal. He was free to steal since she would be completely oblivious and focused on something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While not being true to the rules, I think that the change made by the thread starter is absolutely viable and fits the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.