Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Monarch» Forums » General

Subject: Why was this game chosen for Tabletop? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious how this game was brought to Wil's attention. This game got no attention beforehand.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
It is also pretty bad, probably they paid him.After all a lot of companies send him games to test, and some of them may give money, so their sales go up.There is no other explanation for this game to be played.The first 2 seasons were full of good games, 3rd was also good, this one is naaaah.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When this debuted at GenCon it was near the top of the BGG Hotlist.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Maybe yes, but it is very very dull, and they had time to test it.Wil said that they want 2 copies from the publishers, so they can test it more.And this is ... just a game for people who have no idea what a board game is.But this comes from Wil who gives 10 to Munchkin !!!Also they will show Fury of Dracula, which is OOP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Maybe yes, but it is very very dull, and they had time to test it.Wil said that they want 2 copies from the publishers, so they can test it more.And this is ... just a game for people who have no idea what a board game is.


Well, admittedly, I have only played 547 different board-games in my life, so you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt: but I thought Monarch was a fantastic game! Not a "game for the ages", mind you, but a very good game nevertheless; and considerably better than the much higher-rated Splendor, and somewhat better than Dominion. At time of typing, the average rating here is 7.0, so clearly not everyone finds Monarch "dull".
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Also they will show Fury of Dracula, which is OOP


I'm pretty sure they had already filmed this before the announcement. There's also PLENTY of places to purchase it still. Rumor has it one of the online stores has over 500 in stock (they picked up all their supplier had when the announcement came out). I can still find it at several locations locally and were a pretty dry gaming community.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hey everybody has taste, I do not have any problem with you liking the game.Wil gives 10 to Munchking and said that he does NOT like TTR soooo there are people for every game.But this game is not dull, it is very dull.The games forces you to do stuff, I did not like DOminion as much as everybidy, but as a design, duuudeee... they are not even comparable.Monarch forces you to take one of the 5 cards, and does the same with the "upgrades" that you do for everybody, actually Tom has very good video about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Hey everybody has taste, I do not have any problem with you liking the game.Wil gives 10 to Munchking and said that he does NOT like TTR soooo there are people for every game.But this game is not dull, it is very dull.The games forces you to do stuff. I did not like DOminion as much as everybidy, but as a design, duuudeee... they are not even comparable.Monarch forces you to take one of the 5 cards, and does the same with the "upgrades" that you do for everybody...


If that's the way you played it, I'm afraid you were playing it wrong. You do not have to purchase any cards during your turn, and you can spend gold to clear the market and replace it with new cards.

realfen wrote:
...actually Tom has very good video about it.


I've played the game, loved it (and now own it, as of three days ago), and therefore a reviewer's opinion isn't going to convince me that I don't enjoy it. Besides, Tom Vasel is not exactly the best reviewer to cite for me. His reviews do tell me everything I need to know about a game in terms of mechanics and components; but for about a decade now, I generally find that if Tom likes a game, I'll hate it, and if he dislikes a game, I'll love it! So the fact that Tom dislikes Monarch goes along with my trend!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Tom explained the problems with the game well, I do not care if he likes it or not.
I did not played the game, and wil never play it.Also if the game is THAT good, somebody would have heard it before the tabletop episode of it It is not better than Dominion, and it is not better than most of the games.I know I know there are different opinions, it is good for you that you like it.Have fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:

I did not played the game, and wil never play it.



I mean you no offence, but am merely stating a fact: if you haven't played this game, then your opinion about whether or not the game is good has no value. It would be better to say, "I've heard this game is no good, and I never want to try it."

Regardless: why are you posting to a thread dealing with a game you have no intention of ever even trying?
21 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
THe thread is, about the game being on TT, I watched the episode ( most of it ).I believe that it is because they paid Wil, which after i saw some other posts is common opinion.ANd by the video the game looks very very dull.This is why the reviews are.You watch it, you see it is not for your taste, so you do not buy it.It is like sports, i watched Tennis, i liked it, i still watch it and i started playing it.I saw NFL, it is boring, but throwing the ball is nice.So I do not watch it, but I throw the ball from time to time, with friends.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched this on tabletop yesterday and i thought
it looked quite a fun light game, i previously had never heard of it
so i'm glad they played it and put it on my radar.
Watched the Vassel review out of interest but he does seem to favor games
that come with a billion miniatures, although the one thing i would agree with him is there should be a reward for upgrading the kingdom.
Anyway thanks Tabletop for playing it and introducing me to it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lewis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
realfen wrote:
THe thread is, about the game being on TT, I watched the episode ( most of it ).I believe that it is because they paid Wil, which after i saw some other posts is common opinion.ANd by the video the game looks very very dull.This is why the reviews are.You watch it, you see it is not for your taste, so you do not buy it.It is like sports, i watched Tennis, i liked it, i still watch it and i started playing it.I saw NFL, it is boring, but throwing the ball is nice.So I do not watch it, but I throw the ball from time to time, with friends.


Does anyone have any proof other than internet speculation that TT was paid to play it?
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis M
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil Wheaton on why they played Monarch:

Quote:
Monarch is a set collecting game that has all-female characters, which I thought was awesome in a male-dominated hobby. The artwork is gorgeous, the rules are incredibly simple and fast to teach and learn, and the gameplay is super satisfying. I know that the people who complain that Tabletop is somehow ruining gaming by not featuring complex and crunchy and barely-accessible war games will hate this game, and I’m really okay with that. I loved it, and it’s a great infection vector for our hobby. I played with Satine Phoenix, Ashley Clements, and Brea Grant.


Anyone saying something beyond that are just being cynical because they didn't enjoy the game.
32 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tineyeit wrote:
Wil Wheaton on why they played Monarch:

Quote:
Monarch is a set collecting game that has all-female characters, which I thought was awesome in a male-dominated hobby. The artwork is gorgeous, the rules are incredibly simple and fast to teach and learn, and the gameplay is super satisfying. I know that the people who complain that Tabletop is somehow ruining gaming by not featuring complex and crunchy and barely-accessible war games will hate this game, and I’m really okay with that. I loved it, and it’s a great infection vector for our hobby. I played with Satine Phoenix, Ashley Clements, and Brea Grant.


Anyone saying something beyond that are just being cynical because they didn't enjoy the game...


...or because they didn't play the game. whistle
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
nice one
or ... because they do not want to play a game jsut because it has all female characters and is easy. Hey I have over 100 games of TTR, even thou it is not with all female characters , and it is still somehow good, wven w/o the femame characters, I do not know how, but it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
nice one
or ... because they do not want to play a game jsut because it has all female characters and is easy. Hey I have over 100 games of TTR, even thou it is not with all female characters , and it is still somehow good, wven w/o the femame characters, I do not know how, but it is.


Man, I'm starting suspect your motives here.
13 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Even I do not know what they are, what are you suspecting? Maybe you are right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tineyeit wrote:
Wil Wheaton on why they played Monarch:

Quote:
Monarch is a set collecting game that has all-female characters, which I thought was awesome in a male-dominated hobby. The artwork is gorgeous, the rules are incredibly simple and fast to teach and learn, and the gameplay is super satisfying. I know that the people who complain that Tabletop is somehow ruining gaming by not featuring complex and crunchy and barely-accessible war games will hate this game, and I’m really okay with that. I loved it, and it’s a great infection vector for our hobby. I played with Satine Phoenix, Ashley Clements, and Brea Grant.


Anyone saying something beyond that are just being cynical because they didn't enjoy the game.


Yeah after seeing the episode this makes sense.

It is a very refreshing design and looked like a fun little filler game.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched Tom's review because Monarch showing up in the hotness reminded me of its existence (I'd been interested in it before because of its theme).
And for what it's worth: Tom does not say it's bad, he says it's mediocre, which he has said for many games that other people really enjoy.

Clearly, you can put as much or as little stock as you want in Tom Vasel's opinion, but his video is not really supportive of "realfen"'s bashing of the game -- which, by their own admittance, is not based on actually having played the game.

Maybe realfen's dislike or belief that the game is bad is instead mostly based on the characters in the game being women?
Sad story. shake

(Of course, female characters in a game alone don't make it good, but they certainly don't make it worse, which should go without saying! In fact, I would say that more diversity in a game's characters definitely improves a game.)
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Gswp wrote:
I just watched Tom's review because Monarch showing up in the hotness reminded me of its existence (I'd been interested in it before because of its theme).
And for what it's worth: Tom does not say it's bad, he says it's mediocre, which he has said for many games that other people really enjoy.

Clearly, you can put as much or as little stock as you want in Tom Vasel's opinion, but his video is not really supportive of "realfen"'s bashing of the game -- which, by their own admittance, is not based on actually having played the game.

Maybe realfen's dislike or belief that the game is bad is instead mostly based on the characters in the game being women?
Sad story. shake

(Of course, female characters in a game alone don't make it good, but they certainly don't make it worse, which should go without saying! In fact, I would say that more diversity in a game's characters definitely improves a game.)


Duuuuude I would not know that the characters are all female, i barely care, it does NOT matter, there is not a theme, even if they were all cats, it would be the same. I just said that the best marketing of the game, which Wil gave, when he was asked why is this in TT, he said "the game is easy and all characters are female" which for me is ... lets say 'lame' explanation. Everybody CAN and SHOULD like games that HE likes, not that I or Wil or Tom said they are good.I personally have not plaid as much games, as most of the hardcore gamers in BGG, but even I can give 5-10 games, which are as easy and much better and/or funnier than this.BUT this is my opinion, I like how everybody are junping on me because I said something bad about the King Wil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
I like how everybody are junping on me because I said something bad about the King Wil


I "junped" on you because you're judging a game without even playing it: that doesn't give much credence to anything you say on the subject.

As for Wil Wheaton, I have never watched any episodes of his show (which I understand he posts on Youtube, I think?), so feel free to say as many bad or good things about him as you like.
8 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Gswp wrote:
I just watched Tom's review because Monarch showing up in the hotness reminded me of its existence (I'd been interested in it before because of its theme).
And for what it's worth: Tom does not say it's bad, he says it's mediocre, which he has said for many games that other people really enjoy.

Clearly, you can put as much or as little stock as you want in Tom Vasel's opinion, but his video is not really supportive of "realfen"'s bashing of the game -- which, by their own admittance, is not based on actually having played the game.

Maybe realfen's dislike or belief that the game is bad is instead mostly based on the characters in the game being women?
Sad story. shake

(Of course, female characters in a game alone don't make it good, but they certainly don't make it worse, which should go without saying! In fact, I would say that more diversity in a game's characters definitely improves a game.)


Duuuuude I would not know that the characters are all female, i barely care, it does NOT matter, there is not a theme, even if they were all cats, it would be the same. I just said that the best marketing of the game, which Wil gave, when he was asked why is this in TT, he said "the game is easy and all characters are female" which for me is ... lets say 'lame' explanation. Everybody CAN and SHOULD like games that HE likes, not that I or Wil or Tom said they are good.I personally have not plaid as much games, as most of the hardcore gamers in BGG, but even I can give 5-10 games, which are as easy and much better and/or funnier than this.BUT this is my opinion, I like how everybody are junping on me because I said something bad about the King Wil


Not everyone is you. To some people, it might matter quite a bit. Those people might, *gasp*, be women, who HAVE noticed that many games feature men exclusively.

And while we're all in agreement that everyone is welcome to hold their own opinion, mine is saying things like "But this game is not dull, it is very dull," without ever having played the game, is a really crappy position to take and hurts this community.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Gswp wrote:
I just watched Tom's review because Monarch showing up in the hotness reminded me of its existence (I'd been interested in it before because of its theme).
And for what it's worth: Tom does not say it's bad, he says it's mediocre, which he has said for many games that other people really enjoy.

Clearly, you can put as much or as little stock as you want in Tom Vasel's opinion, but his video is not really supportive of "realfen"'s bashing of the game -- which, by their own admittance, is not based on actually having played the game.

Maybe realfen's dislike or belief that the game is bad is instead mostly based on the characters in the game being women?
Sad story. shake

(Of course, female characters in a game alone don't make it good, but they certainly don't make it worse, which should go without saying! In fact, I would say that more diversity in a game's characters definitely improves a game.)


Duuuuude I would not know that the characters are all female, i barely care, it does NOT matter, there is not a theme, even if they were all cats, it would be the same. I just said that the best marketing of the game, which Wil gave, when he was asked why is this in TT, he said "the game is easy and all characters are female" which for me is ... lets say 'lame' explanation. Everybody CAN and SHOULD like games that HE likes, not that I or Wil or Tom said they are good.I personally have not plaid as much games, as most of the hardcore gamers in BGG, but even I can give 5-10 games, which are as easy and much better and/or funnier than this.BUT this is my opinion, I like how everybody are junping on me because I said something bad about the King Wil


You showed up, called a game you haven't played pretty bad, alledged Tabletop played it because they got paid, and then made joke out of how Mr. Wheaton was interested because the game had an all-women cast. Which, friend, is actually uncommon enough to be notable.
11 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
Avatar
mb
I am so sorry that i've hurt the comunity that bad Actually Wil said it himself in some ... thread or under some video, that this was the main reason he found the game interesting, the all female characters, while this is male dominated hobby ... I take my words back, the game is probably awesome, I did not play it, lets look possitive, and hope everybody likes it meeple .Just like the guys here in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/geekandsundry/comments/5rg9s2/table...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.