8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Disadvantage to clear curses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean S
msg tools
mbmb
A couple scenarios now I have had to start with multiple curse cards. I quickly realized that, if I could, I want to cycle those out of my attack modifier decks at times when the fight wasn't too intense (for example the first room in many scenarios). In order to aid in doing this, I purposefully performed ranged attacks against adjacent enemies to trigger disadvantage, causing me to draw two cards instead of the usual one, and thus cycling to the curses faster. Ideally they are both curses, and now they are both removed (that did happen once).

This feels a bit exploitative when I do it, but it is well within the rules as I have read them. I am taking the penalty of usually missing my attack action, but it seems worth it to get some curses out of the way before the battle gets more desperate and less controlled.

Obviously you could do the same thing with advantage with less risk of losing the whole attack, but you can't trigger advantage whenever you want the way you can with disadvantage using ranged attacks against adjacent targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the same thing. With the scoundrel I try to use all of my multi-target cards while in melee for extra fast cycling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting strategy. Worst case is that you draw the normal Null card, but you could end up hitting and killing/injuring enemies, which isn't as bad of a thing.

Two curse cards. Those road events can be brutal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean S
msg tools
mbmb
If you think two is a lot..... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think it's exploitative at all - since in doing so you'll also be giving yourself a higher chance of missing on early turns. Oftentimes games of Gloomhaven (in our experience) come down to a few key turns making very efficient plays to be able to win the scenario and not have everyone exhausted.

I think that's a valid strategy, with an associated potential cost (early misses, allowing early enemy damage and turns spent just to remove curses)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folgrim wrote:
If you think two is a lot..... whistle

I keep looking at the perk on character sheets that allow you to avoid negative effects in scenarios. That might get a lot more attractive, though I do find the concept of having random bad things to start with as somewhat interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always take along the item that allows you to gain advantage on attacks and use that on attacks that you can't afford to miss on for a version of this strategy that won't hurt your damage output too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Crossan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Impermanent wrote:
You can always take along the item that allows you to gain advantage on attacks and use that on attacks that you can't afford to miss on for a version of this strategy that won't hurt your damage output too bad.

I actually started a post on the elegance of the Advantage/Disadvantage system, but ended up deleting it.

Unfortunately, I've found that it's not quite as simple as 'Advantage can never miss' and 'Disadvantage can never crit'. Bless/Curse and rolling modifiers in the current implementation interfere with this.

You can even crit with Disadvantage right now, you just have to draw a rolling modifier as one of the two cards. The inverse is also true.

I'm not crazy about it, but it's a minor flaw in an otherwise exceptional game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.