16 Posts

Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Skaven, Lizardmen and Slaan teams to be banned in the UK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mole Hill
England
flag msg tools
Having recently read an article in the Telegraph today, it stated that "PETA" [people for the ethical treatment of animals] has called on Games Workshop to stop making models wearing fur as it sets a bad example.

So I think that people should state before playing their games if their Norse ot Amazon teams etc are wearing fake fur or real fur. As I fear that they will be calling on leagues to ban this real fake fur on plastic, resin and metal minatures.
Or maybe you should get the modelling putty out to cover the fur or a file and remove all traces.

So this is a warning that I expect skaven, Slaan, lizardman teams to be banned completely if the R.S.P.C.A (royal society for the prevention of cruelty to animals) starts campaigning to stop animals playing Bloodbowl and beastmen and minotaurs will also have to be dropped from their respective teams.

I spose you could get round the animals playing if you increased the AV of these teams to 13 and made them immune to injury rolls.

But no real fur should be represented on models in the future.

I would include the article. But I don't how to transfer it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mole Hill
England
flag msg tools
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/02/warham...

Link from the guardian. If it works....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, yeah, BoLS and the War of Sigmar blog posted about this a few days ago. It's actually a pretty funny prank to raise awareness for PETA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest 'news'

http://newsthump.com/2017/02/02/khorne-the-blood-god-to-embr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a joke..... right??? I mean, with PETA I can never tell for sure. What about the fur on the tops of hobbit's, I mean, halfling's feet? Do they need to shave now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
This is a joke..... right??? I mean, with PETA I can never tell for sure. What about the fur on the tops of hobbit's, I mean, halfling's feet? Do they need to shave now?

I am pretty sure it is a viral joke meant to bring awareness in a slightly humorous way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Noonespecial wrote:

I am pretty sure it is a viral joke meant to bring awareness in a slightly humorous way.

Okay but so long as the halflings still shave the tops of their feet to protest fur along with PETA I'm still good. (Or at least the halfling PETA members anyway of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mole Hill
England
flag msg tools
I'd say it's a bit of a P.R fail. It makes them look like a bunch of morons. And wonder who is running it. Most of the "people" I spot at my local gaming store aren't prone to wearing fur.

Still it's good for a laugh I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Molmutius wrote:
I'd say it's a bit of a P.R fail. It makes them look like a bunch of morons. And wonder who is running it. Most of the "people" I spot at my local gaming store aren't prone to wearing fur.

I wouldn't say it's a fail. How often does PETA normally get coverage on Dakka, War of Sigmar, Bell of Lost Souls, and Board Game Geek to name just a few? (I imagine they are fair game for the Guardian and NewsThump all the time.)

It was just a way of getting talked about in circles where they wouldn't normally get talked about, and the tone of the letter is quite clearly tongue in cheek while still defining their mission statement.

I want to see a response from GW. They have got really good at playing the social media game, and I think their response will be fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Molmutius wrote:

I agree - it makes them look stupid. The next time PETA want to say something important the risk is no-one takes them seriously. Its a fine line between making people aware of your organisation and maintaining credibility.

Once your credibility is gone it is very hard to get it back....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me want to look into getting fur covered army cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Optix47 wrote:
Molmutius wrote:

I agree - it makes them look stupid. The next time PETA want to say something important the risk is no-one takes them seriously. Its a fine line between making people aware of your organisation and maintaining credibility.

Once your credibility is gone it is very hard to get it back....

Eh, they lost their credibility some years ago when they started getting much more militant, much more crazy and just "out there". They lost their way a long time ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liber Malefic
Finland
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
I want to see a response from GW. They have got really good at playing the social media game, and I think their response will be fantastic.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/02/08/fur-the-emperor/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papepe wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/02/08/fur-the-emperor/

That's awesome. I love the Regimental Standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the record, an organisation that treats wool the same as fur or fiction the same as reality* (less so in this haughty yet humorous letter than in their plethora of vicious attacks on various video games in recent years), let alone both, has no business being taken seriously. They stopped being rational and/or relevant over a decade ago if not much earlier.

*But only in regards to animals, to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.