Ryan Iler
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to see what kinds of ideas people have for Quodd Heroes game modes and scenarios and would love to read your ideas. The only rules are that it can't break and of the core game mechanics regarding turn structure, movement, exploration and how boards work. (obviously).

If I like your idea, there is a good chance it ends up in the rule book!

Cheers!

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a Mario Kart style race variant. The boards could be built to a figure eight pattern and the players race full contact around the track for a certain number of laps. Pits and other obstacles would make for a more entertaining race. It's a variation of the rally style game but would be unique in that the leader would keep having to interact with the other players for the entire race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kučera
msg tools
mbmbmb
How about football variant?

- Game would require 3 tiles and ball {could it be a cube since we are in Quodria?).
- At start ball is placed in the middle tile {and equally from other teams)
- Game mission is to score the ball to the other side (ending zone)
- You can push ball in front of you or "tow" - mechanic from Mechs vs Minions (you drag ball behind you, but it will cost you more movements?)
- Number of movements needs to be limited
- Whenever ball is dropped ball is teleported to tile near ending zone of team that dropped it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Watts
New Zealand
Hawera South Taranaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a long board with a capture the Flag type variant. Having springs within reach of pits or an area sprinkled with glitchy portals would add an interesting take to make people jump off move around randomly etc. The possibilities are limitless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a totem style scenario - "touch the moon" or "please the totem god" or something
All the Quodds need to meet up and stack on top of each other to complete the scenario. Not only would it be cool it would look great visually.
There would need to be a scenario specific rule to get rid of the player downtime when they get in position, so maybe the totem position embues the power of the gods to the player allowing them to use their moves with the sheep or something to help the other players?!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pickard
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of something along the same lines as Andrew (previous post) called Twins.

As a solo challenge you have 2 quodds starting at opposite corners of the map. You control one as primary and the is your "twin".

On each turn, when you tumble, your twin must tumble in the same direction (if able). Then you activate board elements and quodd faces in turn as normal. The goal is to get your quodds to adjacent squares within x turns.

It could also be played co-op with each player controlling one of the quodds as their primary. Or 1v1 or 2v2 with each team starting in different opposing map corners.

Cheers,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a CTF scenario would be amazing. You could allow the players to set up traps that could make it more difficult to get to their flag, but keeping in mind that they will have to get back to their flag (which must be in the base at the time) in order to capture the opponent's flag. Players will always respawn at/near their own flag, and when a player picks up their own flag after it has been dropped (or when the other team captures the flag), it immediately is placed back at the base.

You could even do a free for all CTF with a single flag in the center that everyone is racing to get to and get it back to their base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vallely
msg tools
designer
Capture point would be fun. Each player/team has to get to a spot (or more than one) on the board, place a marker there and then do their best to defend it or capture another. You/your team would get a point for each turn their marker stays on each capture point. First person/team to a certain amount of points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
capasso damien
msg tools
Forgive me if I make a lot of mistakes I'm french.

My idea would be to make a competitive puzzle ala mutant meeples.

Every cube could starts at a certain location and the player who can go a specific place with the fewest number of moves gains 1 point. The character stays in place and Can't be used anymore by that player.
The player who has announced the smallest number of moves tries First. If he doesn't succeed, character goes back to his prior location.

Every round, each character is upgraded randomly (the face of the upgrade I mean).

First player at 4 points wins the game.

Of course Every round the location to go is different and event cards alter the world.

Cards can be played but only by the player involved in the resolution and token are let in place only if he succeed.

Posting from my phone with french dictionnary. Sorry xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vallely
msg tools
designer
One other idea I had would be to set up puzzle scenarios where there are objectives you must complete in a certain number of turns. Maybe specific puzzles for each character. It would be a nice single-player mode to fine tune how to utilize each character's ability. It would take a lot of work to create I think, but I could see crowd-sourced puzzles working out great (ie: Super Mario Maker, etc).

Edit: after reading more it sounds like this is basically already the single player scenarios, so that's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sua Thov
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qing of the Hill
A King of the Hill scenario/variant where a center crystal is equidistant from all of the players. The players race to try and get to the crystal first. Whoever got to the crystal will receive an overpowered item and becomes the Qing (not usable in normal play, something that looks like a crown perhaps). The Qing cannot use Pets (they item they got grants them huge bonuses already) and the game mode now switch to 1 v All with every one trying to steal the item from the Qing. Whoever steals it (or kills the Qing) become the new Qing and receive the item, losing any items/pets they may have had. Players who died, respawn next round. At the end of each round, the player who is able to hold on to the Qing item, will earn a point (or two, could be respresented by re-purposing the crystal tiles). Players who stole the item/kill the Qing, gains 3 points immediately. Plays proceed for a set amount of rounds (can be left up to the player, but play testing can be done to determine the ideal amount of rounds). Whoever earns the most amount of points wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Iler
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Really liking a lot of your ideas. A number of these are already in the rules to some degree or another but there are some refreshing ideas. I'll toss out a few things that might inspire you:

Sheep: Sheep are automated tokens that move a certain number of space each turn (not all sheep are alike) and when they encounter something (a wall, a player etc.) they may turn, or push, or even explode...

Moving Platforms: Like sheep, moving platforms are like they sound. They generally float over pits or open spaces. Each turn they move a certain number of spaces in a particular direction depending on the move token placed on them.

Board Elements Pack (upcoming stretch goal): These add new elements that can be placed on or around board like rotating "doors", switched slides, etc. that can be used to create puzzle like scenarios...

Hopefully that puts a little more fuel on the fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dit onthouikwel
msg tools
coop player mechanic twist: Instead of pushing a team member cube, you can end up on top of it. Then when that cube tumbles, the one on top tumbles along like a tower, and both their special moves happen .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think about quodds and puzzle then I think about Sokoban
:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Ernst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to see special overarching campaigns that last multiple game sessions, like its an oldschool 8 or 16 bit game. (Also meant for solo games if possible) where you go on an adventure through Quoddria. Where every subgame has a mini boss.

In all these cases the bosses are controlled by dice throws so there is a random element, where depending on your dice throw it either works in your favour (move penalty for a boss, or a skill missfires) or works against you (boss gains a move bonus or uses its super power). And where each campain ends with a special nemisis Qoudd that is threatening the world of Quoddria.

An example of a cooperative campaign
-------------------------------------------
You start in a forest level covered in gems where your goal is to catch those gems and reach the sealed treasure trove where a monster boss resides. There are tales of a mythical treasure to be found in that trove.
However, the boss is able to curse gems which will negatively effect the player (movement penalties) or even destroy the gem (random dice throw D6:6), but as a player (group) you need x amount of different colour gems to bring down the boss's magical Shield. (These gems respawn after they are destroyed in random locations on the map). The hunt is on! Once the magical shield is down the boss flees into the cave and disappears.

Now you enter the treasure trove that leads into an underground map, a maze. You remember that the myth clearly spoke of special rewards hidden in its center (a super defensive vs offensive upgrade for your Quodd, which you need further on in the game). But another monster boss hides in its center and is able to manipulate the map as a special move and he can change the location of walls as a random action (but depending on de dice thrown it can also fail. For instace a D10 1-2: failed action. 2-6: place wall at closest target. 7-8:ground under target turns into mud, it slows you down that turn. 9: target gets stuck. 10: change map layout.
Once you enter the center of the maze the boss flees, but you can loot the fabled treasure chest. 1 player gets to tumble onto the chest and it breaks open. It grants a special rune. It can either negate a negative boss attack, place an unstable portal or enhance movement.

Behind the chest, in the shadows, you notice a portal that has an alluring power and you feel an overwhelming urge to enter....you tumble onto a cloud map where winds blow hard. You cant turn back since the magical gate has closed. You hear a rumble and see a huge crazy wind boss that spawns unstable portals around you. It wants to play chase and shows you a shimmering key! Behind the boss you see a locked golden gate. Its the only way out. You need your new superpowers to actually catch him and to evade unstable portals. But the map is huge and ever changing due to the winds.
After you finally catch the boss the craziness leaves him and he turns into a special pet, that one player can use 1 time every x amount of turns.Once the boss is defeated you enter the golden gate and enter a large room with some sort of magical throne on which a God Quodd resides.

This is the final nemisis encounter And consists of two phases.

The god you notice has an evil glint in its eyes. In front him you see a floating miniature version of Quoddria (a token) and somehow he is manipulating the world through that. The token grants a special protection spell against any special powers like portals, but he is so confident in his powers that he remains static in place during phase 1: so he doesnt move. His first move is to tear up the floors in the room (basically creating stone floating floors which can only be covered by jumping skils and goes on the offensive. He can place unstable portals, blow winds, change the layout of the room when you reach him etc (based on dice throws) The game is on. You need to reach him and steal the token to survive. The boss has a magical enrage mechanic in which he supernovas after x amount of turns. Then it is game over for you! [here the pet comes into play since it can negate the timer for that turn every x turns, but it gives the boss one extra attack action)

If you are able to steal the map (like you would pick up crystals) the showdown starts. The God's magical shield vanishes and he becomes livid, his magical powers gone and he panicks... but he still has enhanced movement powers. Now your team must use the cubes powers (and / or your new powers from items earned from previous bosses) to remain out of his clutches! The first automatic cube move is to randomly change the whole floor map again and places you x spaces removed from the God (throw 2 D6, where a blank space counts as 1 movement)! Now your goal is to remain out of his clutches for x amount of time. If you manage this the boss goes into a meltdown phase and implodes and you win! [Here the pet comes into play again: it can now speed up the timer, but the boss gains 1 extra attack/move action).

Note: Every Quodd the god catches will increase the gods movement, like an enrage function. But Quodds can choose to effectively block the god (and get caught aka stunned) to give the player with the token an advantage by letting him get safely out of reach) However, if the god catches the cube again, you automatically lose.

If you survive the showdown you have won! But now there is a choice to be made. The cubes magical energies granted the former God huge powers but it also sustained him, keeping him alive. Now you can choose to remain in the clouds and become a new God. Or use the cubes powers to return to the world and hide the cube from other nemesis which will result in a whole new campaign!!! And you get to keep all the loot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volodymyr Fishchenko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domination
Mode for two or four players. In two player mode each player control two heroes. In four player mode players split on two teams two players each. Five tokens should be placed on a board to represent key points. When hero stands on a key point he claims it for his team by putting team marker on top of it. Heroes could claim free of already claimed key points. The victory condition - team control three key points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Baumann
msg tools
Armageddon

You can make different gameplay maps with a "Armageddon" Rule.
Player can use "crystalmetroids" to block normal areas on the map at start of the game or between rounds.

I see this Crystal-Metroids also in your Video Why no impacts while gaming?

Create this for a Small World House Rule
- „Impact“ in actual Round-Region of Player choice
- That Region's „Impact“ loses all tokens (back to box)
- The Region now is immune to all players
- „Impact“ are impassable Regions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Swearingen
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I think it be amazing to have a co-op variant. Granted this may not be feasible at the current cost I understand miniatures can be pricey but possibly a big monster type cube such as Cthulhu, big foot, or a large demon of some sort. With some type of small minions the minions could really be cardboard tokens that need to be tumbled on or jumped on or slid off into a pit. Where they could not jump on or tumble on the players they could push them into a pit. In order to defeat the boss players must jump on the boss and he have a set amount of hit points in order to defeat them. The boss could realistically be card driven or have set movement such as moving towards players or a goal that the enemy must achieve or possibly player elimination. It be really interesting and fun to see players Lining up moves for the boss to watch him move in another direction from what the cards or objective he has is. This could create variability as well if you enjoy co-op games because you could create different boss scenarios or even different abilities that let him play similar to the other cube warriors maybe a 6 card deck that gets shuffled to tell you which way he tumbles and then he must perform the given action of his face up Side. I believe that the chaos of moving randomly in this game would create a very fun co op experience. Like I previously said this may be to pricey to include but I could see slot of enjoyment out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's about something like an 'black sheep' scenario? It's coop and the quodds start on one side of the long game board and a couple of sheep starts on the other side, moving forward each round (with some new sheeps spawning each round). You have to prevent the sheeps from reaching 'your' side of the game Board. You can stop the sheep by tumbling onto them and so remove them from the board. You win the scenario if you survive a couple of rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be cool to have an AI controlled character who just tumbles around and activates certain abilities based on his face up side. This is similar to what players do, but his abilities include things like:

Flip over a world event card
Release 4 sheep (1 in each orthogonal direction from the character)
Push all characters X spaces away from the character
Fire a cannon in each direction (all 8 directions)
Cause all characters to change their active face (could roll the additional one of this character to determine how players should be positioned)
Place down walls X distance away (or maybe in a random position)

One thing my wife really likes is the idea of being able to actually roll the characters like a die. I'm not sure what kind of mechanics (other than the one I mentioned here) would work with that, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoddria is Collapsing
A race to be the last cube left rolling. Play begins on two large tiles laid next to each other.
[ ][ ]

All players begin on one short edge.
[: ][ ]

The first player to reach the other short edge takes a large tile from the supply and extends the play area (there should be three large tiles forming a line now).
[ ][..][ ]

...Then removes the tile furthest from them ("collapsing the world").
[x ][..][ ]
____[..][ ]

Players on the removed tile lose. They are placed on the short edge furthest from the removed tile, and spend the rest of the game trying to push the other players off of the map. If a player is forced over a long edge, they also lose and are placed on the short edge furthest from the removed tile.

Use wiles, wits, and obstacles to your advantage to be the last cube rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm not quite sure if it would work or not, but I'm thinking of some kind of "The Floor Is Lava" kinda scenario that can be played either solo or multiplayer where you can only land on moving platforms otherwise you have to go back to the start. The goal would be to get from one side of the board to another end, maybe using 3 boards and a ton of moving platforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Richardson
msg tools
Have the start tile surrounded by eight other tiles and have the end tile next to one of the eight. Eg:

T T T
T S T F
T T T

Objective is to get to the finish space on the finish tile

The end of every player's turn have the eight tiles move one tile clockwise around the start tile.

Should be able to rotate the tiles about their own axis.

Should be able to change / pause the rotation of the eight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vallely
msg tools
designer
Longer RPG style mode. Campaigns would come with world maps made of various board setups. Could be called Quodd Adventures or something.

An example could be a crystal hunt where you have to find certain crystals to unlock the next portion of the world map with another quest like remove all the sheep. I would imagine you unveil boards as you go, so you don't know until you get to the edge of a board what lies ahead.

The world map could be a big grid of numbers, used as a key in a book of boards. The starting board of each area would have the quest you need to complete to move to the next area.

There could be bosses to fight as well.

A lot of directions you could go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volodymyr Fishchenko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Wild Sheep Chase
Quite a simple mode, but might be interesting to try it out.
A map is full of sheeps, some of them are carrying gems but most just meandering around hindering players movement. When player catches the sheep he scores a gem for himself. The goal is to gather more gems then your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.