Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: storage [+] gameroom_or_storage [+] [View All]
Filipe Silva
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how you guys store your games and what kind of cares you take when doing so.

I have a specific room in my house where I keep my boardgames stored. Usually I set them vertically (never one atop another) inside plastic boxes (with ventilation holes). These boxes usually hold something like 10 or so games - and then I stack the boxes one atop another (taking care to check the allowed weight the lid can handle). The humidity in this room is on average around 60% - I sometimes plug in a dehumidifier to lower it a bit.

In the past I also start getting ziplock bags of every size, and my game contents are always inside one of these (never the game box itself though) - from the smallest counter to a Letter/A4 sized manual.

I was wondering if these bags could do more harm than good. The general idea I have is that I should store contents inside them because they'll be more protected from humidity.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I throw my games in a giant heap, making sure that the games I expect to trade remain on the top unharmed. Most of my games are horizontal depending how they have fallen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You see, Morgan is of the "Why Do Today What You Can Put Off Until Tomorrow" school of philosophy....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the humidity will be your biggest problem over time, and there, it's typically the game boards that suffer the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a wooden bookshelf (Ikea variety) where my big-box games are stored on their side. Smaller, lighter boxes are stacked on top of each other, but never more than 5 or so high. Smaller yet games (card games and the like) are stored wherever there is a large enough gap.

I've recently run out of space in the bookshelf, and have resorted to placing the games on any available surface. It's so bad that when my son misbehaves, I send him to the corner and stack a game or two on his head. I need to find more and more creative reasons to punish him though, and the wife doesn't really care for that technique either (but she needs to unbury herself from a dozen games before she can get to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all of my games over at AnakinOUs house.

Oh, and I don't pay for any of them either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a nook or cranny, odds are there may be a boardgame stuffed there.

What does this remind me of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Florida and my biggest problem is the strong sunlight, it will run something in hours!

I store all of my games in a large walk in closet, I stack them horizontally on shelves that are in there, so there are never more than 3 or 4 games on top of eachother (maybe more on the thinner boxes like Axis and Allies, and less on thicker boxes like some of the Fantasy Flight big game stuff.

I try to put the heavy stuff on the bottoms of the stacks. I have never had problems with boxes being crushed by stacking, but like I said, I dont stack too many because the shelves are only about 18" or so apart.

I'd worry about your humidity, and also sunlight if that is a problem, it will fade a box really fast, which wont hurt the game inside, but looks like crap.

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?

60% humidity is perfect for human wellbeing.

You've only got a problem if it varies really wildly.

My games are in a cupboard. I never bothered to think about humidity for the sake of my games. The few games that I've owned (and played) for fifteen years+ are looking old from playing and handling rather than from mere time and storage effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

So the next time Lainie calls me at work, asking why there's a big box from ThoughtHammer on the porch, I can say that it's yours?

Hrmmm...this could work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
LaFey wrote:
... ziplock bags of every size, and my game contents are always inside one of these

Ziplock bags also retain any moisture that may be in with the bits. Over a course of years this moisture may damage the contents.

I use bags to keep things sorted often enough. I never fully seal any ziplock baggie.

LaFey wrote:
I have a specific room in my house where I keep my boardgames stored. Usually I set them vertically (never one atop another) inside plastic boxes (with ventilation holes). These boxes usually hold something like 10 or so games - and then I stack the boxes one atop another (taking care to check the allowed weight the lid can handle). The humidity in this room is on average around 60% - I sometimes plug in a dehumidifier to lower it a bit.

Oooh, a Straight Line!

1) What do you stock in your Moat, Filipe?

2) After you enter your specific room and pass through the Andromeda Strain de-louser, do you look funny without any hair?

3) So pleased to know that your copy of Uno will be Pristine for the next generation, man.

4) Do you give out uniforms and lab coats to all of your gamer friends that come to visit? Or are you the only one wearing floor whites?

5) I laminated my toilet, too, but I'm having some trouble working around the ventilation holes, you know?

6) Can you please send us a pic of your Cat in one of them plastic boxes?

7) We just recently came on a great plan to save wear and tear on our games. We have laminated each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a giant game of Jenga with the gameboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anywhere I can place a game and it will not fall in 3 seconds (the time it takes to look away) is a viable storage place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Silva
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I never bothered to think about humidity for the sake of my games.

I've had a couple of them with fungus on their pages - not overly visible - but when you DO see them - it's dreadful...

Quote:
Oooh, a Straight Line!

Now, if we weren't on the Boardgamegeek forum I'd be offended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I stack my games horizontally with the heaviest and/or most damaged games on the bottom. I also take particular pains to put my favourite games on the bottom of a given stack, as I do not care what happens to their boxes.

Honestly, horizontal stacking does not damage games as long as you keep the stacks shorter with smart, weight-based stacking. My games have suffered more damage being taken to game nights than they ever have from being stored "incorrectly".

Take any advice from me with a grain of salt though, as I purposefully abuse my Age of Steam and Princes of Florence boxes, because I know I'll never get rid of them laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Silva
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Take any advice from me with a grain of salt though, as I purposefully abuse my Age of Steam and Princes of Florence boxes, because I know I'll never get rid of them

Thanks for your insight. The ziplock/humidity problem worries me the most - I guess I was looking for a more definite answer like: "Do not fully seal the bag that contains X, that overly expensive game - the little humidity already inside will take its toll over the year" or "You are doing well - ziplock them and you'll be sure to enjoy them in 50 years as if they were new."

EDIT: I've had quit a few games arriving with rusted staples, even though they were sealed in ziplock bags... Is this an example of humidity within ziplock bags or cases of excessive humidity exposure before storage? See, this is getting scientific...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaFey wrote:
Thanks for your insight. The ziplock/humidity problem worries me the most - I guess I was looking for a more definite answer like: "Do not fully seal the bag that contains X, that overly expensive game - the little humidity already inside will take its toll over the year"

Why not just take a hole punch, sharp knife, etc, and make a couple small ventilation holes/slices in the bag somewhere? Small enough nothing will fall out of course.

That way you can 'zip' them, no risk of scattered bits, and they won't act like balloons when you stuff them back in the box, and they'll be nicely ventilated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

So the next time Lainie calls me at work, asking why there's a big box from ThoughtHammer on the porch, I can say that it's yours?

Had to laugh at this! I have just related to my wife the true story of the package fairy. Sometimes if you are a very good boy or girl, the package fairy leaves something for you on your door step. I can't help that I am a very good boy

My wife has given up and just tells me that the package fairy visited me again and stopped all the questioning about "space" and "money" and "insanity" blah blah blah.

- Storage -
However things fit and don't stack too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
So... everybody here stacks like pancakes not shelves like books ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold them all them time, and never set them down. Solves all my storage problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:

I do - but I have a whole room for use. Long shelf, all the wargames (think of AH bookcase boxes) on their long side (shelf is deep enough). You can see a picture of it on the Point2Point webside under Pictures / warroom.

CDG: Cards are in protectors; rules (Living Rules) like the ones from GMT get downloaded and printed so I can mark the rules I have to remember; Counters get sorted into counter trays or stored in ziplock bags. But I assume I don't have the humidity problem.

Big Box Games like the ones from FFG or Eagle Games get stored like pancakes (yummy, pancakes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humidity is a major problem where I came from (Puerto Rico) and the only way around that is a dehumidifier.

I stack my games like books in a milk type crate. I put a cloth on the bottom of the crate, and a cloth on the top. I can fit 8 Avalon Hill/GDW/VG type games in one crate. I have several crates that I stack on one another.

Lately I have been laminating some of my games that are getting more use than others. Actually I use contact paper on the Box top and bottom. It reinforces the box and minimizes shelf wear.

If stacking horizontally I make sure that the games are pretty much the same size, and the ones going on top are lighter than the ones they sit on. I also try not to put more than four games in a stack. Three is my base target.

In Southern California humidity is not a concern, but sun damage is. We are adding a bayed wall front to our living room. The addition will include a bench area with a shelved tray type cabinet section that we will use to store many of the games we play with on our gaming nights. That way we avoid the stacking problem.

While I try to avoid being excessive with my gaming hobby, I believe that simple methods of taking care of the possessions one has will extend their life and one's ability to share the joy in the future. My good luck wishes to you on protecting your investments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Had to laugh at this! I have just related to my wife the true story of the package fairy. Sometimes if you are a very good boy or girl, the package fairy leaves something for you on your door step. I can't help that I am a very good boy

My wife has given up and just tells me that the package fairy visited me again and stopped all the questioning about "space" and "money" and "insanity" blah blah blah.

- Storage -
However things fit and don't stack too high.

Package Fairies huh? Are they any relation to the "Package Brownies" that deliver some of my games? Go Brown and all that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
I hold them all them time, and never set them down. Solves all my storage problems.

Wow! How do you manage all 478? Do you have to keep juggling some? I gotta see a picture of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:

Speaking only for myself, I never have wanted to go to the trouble of shelving my games in the vertical position (i.e.: standing them on end). Most game box inserts are designed to hold the components in place only if they are lain horizontally, and I've never wanted to go to the trouble of bagging games extensively enough to keep the bits together when they're standing on end.

Many of the games that look the nicest when they're displayed vertically (i.e.: the alea games) have the worst potential mess problem because of all of the small bits. Puerto Rico and Traders both come to mind here...if I stood my copies up, I would have 10 minutes of sorting every time I took the stupid things down from the shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.