Subject: Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking into purchasing a new game. I've been reading about both Suburbia and Castles of the Mad King Ludwig.

Which one would you get if you were in my position? Keep in mind, I enjoy all sorts of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has been posted a number of times if you search for it.

I personally love Suburbia but I love it because it is an abstract game (imho).

Castles is fun also. Castles to me is more approachable to other gamers and honestly when I've introduced both of them to the same group, they always choose Castles of the Mad King over Suburbia any day.

Another even more gateway version is Vegas Showdown.

So I'm sure I didn't answer your question other than to let you know this thread is floating out there somewhere.

I'm on team Suburbia. I don't think there's any need to own both although if you have a game group, I'd recommend someone in the group own the other one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both available digitally if you wanted to try them out at a cheaper price. I have them both on my ipad, but they may be available on android as well (not sure).

I personally don't like Suburbia at all as a board game, but like it decently well as an app. It's frustrating to keep up with the scoring in my opinion.

Castles has similar ways of scoring, but far more simplified, thus easier to follow. I also really like laying out the castle rooms and trying to optimize my score.

+1 for Castles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Suburbia is the better game. I personally don't think the price setting mechanism works very well in Castles because there is so much hidden information due to hidden goals that setting prices is pretty much a shot in the dark. I also find the graphic design of Castles to frustrating (tiny coins and tiny icons that are hard to see particularly when you are trying to keep tabs on your opponents).

To be honest though, I put Quadropolis in the same category as both of these and would easily play Quadropolis before either of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
CMKL looks fantastic and fun and hilarious and thematic and awesome and all that. But Suburbia is actually a good game. Which I'd suggest was more important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia is better on a tablet. Castles is better on a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles would be my choice. But here is a comparison:

Castles:
Players take turns setting the pricing for the tiles.
Many different shape tiles.
Score points for tiles themselves, and also for what they are adjacent to.
Hidden goals and public goals.
No penalty for reaching any point thresholds.

Suburbia:
Automatic pricing of tiles. Tiles slide down the track and get cheaper each turn.
Hexagonal tiles only.
Score points for tiles themselves, and also for what they are adjacent to.
Hidden goals and public goals.
Penalties when reaching certain point thresholds (e.g. income goes down when population crosses certain red lines).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
CMKL looks fantastic and fun and hilarious and thematic and awesome and all that. But Suburbia is actually a good game. Which I'd suggest was more important

I've played Castles twice and did not experience the adjectives you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Both are good games. I would go with the better theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoMKL is stronger at 4-players, but overall I would pick Suburbia. I don't find the market that interesting and can cause some AP. The upkeep nature is there in both games just in different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Moyer
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying. -Woody Allen
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fun games that rely heavily on opportunism. Suburbia has a more orderly approach (real estate tile costs flow downward, hex tile placement is vital but orientation is not a factor) while Castles is more chaotic (room tiles costs are reordered by a player each round, room placement and orientation are both important).

While I believe that Castles is more attractive, I prefer the flow and logic of Suburbia. The point rewards for the tiles in Castles seems a bit too random for me. I understand why you would not want to build your bedroom next to a music room, but why on Earth do Utility rooms give you end game bonuses? Why are gardens the money-generators? Why is that door in such a random spot on that wall? Where did all these pre-fab castle rooms come from anyway?

One neat characteristic of Suburbia for me is how much sense the income/cash/population/reputation of a particular tile (piece of real estate) makes in relation to the rest of your real estate zones. For example if you go heavy on industry then folks just won't want to live nearby, but employment rates and therefore income is great. Parks are great for your reputation, but do come with some maintenance costs. Suburbia just feels more coherent to me than Castles. Castles has more of puzzle aspect, however, so if that is your thing you might prefer it over Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
CoMKL is the better game. It has a more welcoming theme and the market is what makes the game. In suburbia, you just hope that the tiles you want come up and can make it down the track so they are affordable. It is a lot of luck. In CoMKL, you set the pricing so you can price some items out of reach from those with little money if you really want it, you can price tiles that your opponens want rather high so they give you all their money if they really want them. Completion bonuses are great because they add another twist and also have good variety. I find myself admiring my crazy castles at the end of the game, something I don't do with suburbia.

The only bad part about CoMKL is the setup tim, but that can be fixed by getting a custom insert.

The iOS and Android versions of both games are on sale for $2.99 right now, I recommend getting both, then getting the physical copy of the game you like best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

I've played Castles twice and did not experience that adjectives you listed.
Me neither, but it looked it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Piemonte
United States
Detroit Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Castles, but I own Suburbia and Suburbia Inc. and it's one of my faves... and more importantly, one of my wife's faves... and she is very picky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edytwinky wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing a new game. I've been reading about both Suburbia and Castles of the Mad King Ludwig.

Which one would you get if you were in my position? Keep in mind, I enjoy all sorts of games.

I once was were you are now.
After some thinking I decided for Suburbia and never regretted my choice (17 plays in).

The thoughts that formed my choice:
* Suburbia is a solid game from 1-4 players (5 with expansion) while CoMKL looks like it only shines with more players
* The theme is easier to sell to my group
* The points/city-growth in Suburbia seemed very fitting and interesting (and acts as some way of catch-up mechanism)
* Even-shaped tiles (hexes rock )
* The pricing-mechanic in CoMKL turned me off (because of potential AP or at worse king-making)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I have them both on my ipad, but they may be available on android as well (not sure).

They are indeed both available on Android too!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suburbiaga...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilecast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BelziET wrote:
edytwinky wrote:

I once was were you are now.
After some thinking I decided for Suburbia and never regretted my choice (17 plays in).

The thoughts that formed my choice:
* Suburbia is a solid game from 1-4 players (5 with expansion) while CoMKL looks like it only shines with more players
* The theme is easier to sell to my group
* The points/city-growth in Suburbia seemed very fitting and interesting (and acts as some way of catch-up mechanism)
* Even-shaped tiles (hexes rock )
* The pricing-mechanic in CoMKL turned me off (because of potential AP or at worse king-making)

Yes, I agree with all of this. Especially the last point... that pricing really IS the game. And it's pretty intense and boring in equal measures compared to the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy both if it's really that hard of a decision. We're not talking huge amounts of money. (Or if it is to you, perhaps don't buy either.)

The problem for me with Suburbia, was that the first half of the game clips along nicely, the second half starts to bog. To the point where people start missing stuff, and trying to recreate where everything should be, but you can't once the markers start pegging the end. "Fiddly" is the word for the late game.

While Suburbia is arguably a more interesting model, I find Castles to be a more interesting game. Yeah, it's 90% about the bidding. People who don't like bidding games certainly won't like it.

Which is why up above I said that I prefer Suburbia on tablets, and Castles on tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and prefer Suburbia.

Surburbia you have to build an engine for income and reputation.

C.M.K.L. you determine how much you are willing to spend from turn to turn on a room for your castle or just take money instead of a room. If you are good you will get to activate a two or three room special abilities too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agreen53 wrote:
C.M.K.L. you determine how much you are willing to spend from turn to turn on a room for your castle or just take money instead of a room.

Which is totally different from Suburbia! In Suburbia you determine how much you are willing to spend from turn to turn on a tile for your city or just take lake instead of a city tile.

Of course both are an over-simplification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of reddit threads asking this same question. Most people on those threads prefer CoMKL while most people here seem to prefer Suburbia. I think that is because most BGGers lean towards games with more strategy.

I personally find CoMKL more attractive, more interesting, and easier for people to learn. As a result I chose to purchase it instead of Suburbia (though I do have the android version of both games). The great thing about CoMKL is that someone who does not understand the strategy (new people and younger kids) can still have fun playing because they can find enjoyment just building the castle and not even worry about chasing points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I personally love Suburbia but I love it because it is an abstract game. . .

Castles is fun also. Castles to me is more approachable to other gamers and honestly when I've introduced both of them to the same group, they always choose Castles of the Mad King over Suburbia any day. . .

I'm on team Suburbia. I don't think there's any need to own both although if you have a game group, I'd recommend someone in the group own the other one.

Pretty much this. Castles is more approachable for casual gamers and has more initial visual appeal. Suburbia has come to have more long term appeal. Both are worthy of several plays in your group. The price setting in Castles is key and has caused confusion for many players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.