Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: ks Exclusive - ks Exclusive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Seems every damn stretch goal is a KS exclusive, seriously is this your selling gimmick? I look at it thinking, "oh well it might resell ok if i don't like it."; but in the end who cares about an extra couple dollars 18 months from now. - Exclusive this. Anyone else sitting on the fence cause it seems to be so damn Exclusive, yet the gameplay might not be there?
Also the rehash of every other game they have made is in here, can we stop with the zombies please.. .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They are one of the fastest growing boardgame companies for a reason. If you don't like exclsuives don't back cmon games on ks. but don't expect them to change what has made them very succesful anytime soon. I personally only back KS games now that have exclusives, otherwise why not just get them at retail most of the time cheaper and cheaper shipping for sure.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
They are one of the fastest growing boardgame companies for a reason. If you don't like exclsuives don't back cmon games on ks. but don't expect them to change what has made them very succesful anytime soon. I personally only back KS games now that have exclusives, otherwise why not just get them at retail most of the time cheaper and cheaper shipping for sure.


Or of course, games that are unlikely to see a retail release.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CMON's douchy policy of making the KS exclusives sell for stupid ridiculous amounts after the campaign.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
They are one of the fastest growing boardgame companies for a reason.
Yea they struck gold when zombies were neato.. .
VaeVictis666 wrote:
If you don't like exclsuives don't back cmon games on ks.
Love Exclusives, It's a little different when the whole damn game is exclusive; hence people just buying for resale.
VaeVictis666 wrote:
I personally only back KS games now that have exclusives, otherwise why not just get them at retail most of the time cheaper and cheaper shipping for sure.
Well I do it to support the developer and help bring creative ideas to life; backing a game only if it has KS exclusives is kinda pathetic. I have read many of you posts and see you as a cmon poster boy so i guess my question above would be for the people on the fence to buy the game 'as stated above'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
They are one of the fastest growing boardgame companies for a reason.
Yea they struck gold when zombies were neato.. .
VaeVictis666 wrote:
If you don't like exclsuives don't back cmon games on ks.
Love Exclusives, It's a little different when the whole damn game is exclusive; hence people just buying for resale.
VaeVictis666 wrote:
I personally only back KS games now that have exclusives, otherwise why not just get them at retail most of the time cheaper and cheaper shipping for sure.
Well I do it to support the developer and help bring creative ideas to life; backing a game only if it has KS exclusives is kinda pathetic. I have read many of you posts and see you as a cmon poster boy so i guess my question above would be for the people on the fence to buy the game 'as stated above'
So your attacking me because I spend my money on different things?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
I have read many of you posts and see you as a cmon poster boy so i guess my question above would be for the people on the fence to buy the game 'as stated above'


Jesus, what a tool.

People like what they like.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
Yea they struck gold when zombies were neato.. .


And with Massive Darkness. And Blood Rage. The latter of which is considered one of the best board games in recent memory.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
I have read many of you posts and see you as a cmon poster boy so i guess my question above would be for the people on the fence to buy the game 'as stated above'


Jesus, what a tool.

People like what they like.


my bad if that came off as attack - i've read your posts and you support cmon quite a bit so i kinda expected that answer from you is what i really meant.

I also bought blood rage and massive darkness; i have my fair share invested with cmon as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How you cancel your pledge to all the games that are funded and just spend your money on games that either aren't funded or barely funded? Heck, why not just sell off your games and donate the money to help people create things. I mean that's why you back games right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How you cancel your pledge to all the games that are funded and just spend your money on games that either aren't funded or barely funded? Heck, why not just sell off your games and donate the money to help people create things. I mean that's why you back games right?

??
??
wow bro.. just wow
There are plenty of kickstarters that offer ZERO exclusives or any other item AT ALL and are what they are.. fuck man, your first comment took this whole thread the wrong direction i went. thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I think it's a bad practice and I'm also getting sucked right into it. I wasn't going to back this game, but then saw all the KS exclusives and thought, "hey if I change my mind later I can just sell it on ebay and profit!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How you cancel your pledge to all the games that are funded and just spend your money on games that either aren't funded or barely funded? Heck, why not just sell off your games and donate the money to help people create things. I mean that's why you back games right?

??
??
wow bro.. just wow
There are plenty of kickstarters that offer ZERO exclusives or any other item AT ALL and are what they are.. fuck man, your first comment took this whole thread the wrong direction i went. thanks
didn't you say "Well I do it to support the developer and help bring creative ideas to life". I was just following your words with more of that line of though. I mean since you don't back games to play them why not sell your collection and support the arts with the money?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For better or for worse, this is CMON's business model now. I will agree that it promotes impulse buying with only nominal information on game play and/or balance (the later of which I am concerned about).

I am backing, mainly because I do find the theme unique (you've got to admit, it's not ALL zombies), and I do enjoy this style of game in general. I also do wish I didn't have to buy it RIGHT NOW or miss out on exclusives. But I would probably not buy at all after the campaign if I had to buy it without the large numbers of exclusives.

So yeah, I guess their marketing worked on me this time around...and probably as well for future select titles (like Rising Sun).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yup Joe, you got me there. collection over 800 games now yet i don't play games. Just stop

Glic2003 wrote:

Yeah, I think it's a bad practice and I'm also getting sucked right into it. I wasn't going to back this game, but then saw all the KS exclusives and thought, "hey if I change my mind later I can just sell it on ebay and profit!"


Thank you Greg for contributing the 2nd useful comment to my Original Post. This is exactly how i stand right now because it is cmon with the unreal amount of exclusives. Cheerz
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
@ Rich - It has worked for them, i still am sitting with Black Plague because a few of there extras i really wanted to use in a different game as well. BP is damn fun with some ranged ai models
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
@ Rich - It has worked for them, i still am sitting with Black Plague because a few of there extras i really wanted to use in a different game as well. BP is damn fun with some ranged ai models


That is, how do you say it? oh yeah...how they get you.

[I'm not a fan of KS exclusives either, and I do recognize how it is used a tool to manipulate consumers. It also gets you spend way more than you might on those damn add-ons! I say this knowing full well that I've just followed along with their strategy.]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is what it is folks.

There are some people that LIKE Kickstarter exclusives, and those that don't.

Those that like 'em tend to back this kind of project. Those that don't either move on to a publisher that doesn't rely on them too heavily, or they grit their teeth and pony up.

Personally, I have backed or own many CMON games that follow this model.

I bought Arcadia Quest retail. I played it without the KS stuff and it is a great game. Blood Rage - great game without the KS figured added. Zombicide BP? Again, fine game without the KS figures (you need a few expansions, though). and the list goes on.

Am I saying those KS things don't add something? No. They do add something. But people pretend they are unplayable without them, when in fact it would take a game like Blood Rage from a 95% to a 98% rating in my opinion. Most of these just stretch the long term longevity out, or allow you to catch your breath before you feel you need expansions.

Not EVERYONE will feel the same way, especially if you're the type of person that "knowing" of the existence of something you don't have will affect your current enjoyment when you sit down at the table to play, regardless of your experience at that session.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
Yup Joe, you got me there. collection over 800 games now yet i don't play games. Just stop

Glic2003 wrote:

Yeah, I think it's a bad practice and I'm also getting sucked right into it. I wasn't going to back this game, but then saw all the KS exclusives and thought, "hey if I change my mind later I can just sell it on ebay and profit!"


Thank you Greg for contributing the 2nd useful comment to my Original Post. This is exactly how i stand right now because it is cmon with the unreal amount of exclusives. Cheerz
Wait so when you said you back games to help the creators you were lying? Here I thought I was the pathetic one for buying a game for exclusives and you were altruistic but you are saying you aren't now?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Wait so when you said you back games to help the creators you were lying? Here I thought I was the pathetic one for buying a game for exclusives and you were altruistic but you are saying you aren't now?


If a mute troll button was ever needed more.. . please stop
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:

Wait so when you said you back games to help the creators you were lying? Here I thought I was the pathetic one for buying a game for exclusives and you were altruistic but you are saying you aren't now?


If a mute troll button was ever needed more.. . please stop
Haven't read the rules have you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
...backing a game only if it has KS exclusives is kinda pathetic.


It's actually a great way to protect oneself against a KS that has issues. Whether component issues, or a bad rulebook, or perhaps the game turns out not to be to the backers liking. With the Exclusives, it makes it easier to sell.

The idea of backing someones dream to make it a reality and all, well that's nice. But if I truly want to help someone make a game, I'd just donate to the KS and ask for no rewards. If I want the game, I want it to be a good game. Since I have no way of knowing if it will be, if the components will be any good, etc., it's the Exclusives that will lure me into backing.

BUT, this is the first CMON game to give me pause about what may happen in their other campaigns. Besides KS exclusive add-ons, they also have Limited Print Run expansions. I'm starting to think they are having problems moving some of their games at the retail level, so they are going all-in on the KS campaigns.

Rum and Bones, the first time around, had 2 add-on hero packs that were KS exclusives. The second KS campaign has turned it up to 4. That's ALOT of KS exclusives Add-Ons.

Jorune
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohbee wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
If you don't like exclsuives don't back cmon games on ks.
Love Exclusives, It's a little different when the whole damn game is exclusive; hence people just buying for resale.

You are incorrect here. The base game and 3 expansions are not exclusive. Considering this is an ok to good 1 v. many game in a crowded board game market filled with lots of good and great games, that's plenty for retail sale.

Looking at ebay sales for The Others, it's not smart to buy this game with the intention to make money reselling it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
Yup Joe, you got me there. collection over 800 games now yet i don't play games. Just stop

Glic2003 wrote:

Yeah, I think it's a bad practice and I'm also getting sucked right into it. I wasn't going to back this game, but then saw all the KS exclusives and thought, "hey if I change my mind later I can just sell it on ebay and profit!"


Thank you Greg for contributing the 2nd useful comment to my Original Post. This is exactly how i stand right now because it is cmon with the unreal amount of exclusives. Cheerz
Wait so when you said you back games to help the creators you were lying? Here I thought I was the pathetic one for buying a game for exclusives and you were altruistic but you are saying you aren't now?
You being pathetic (and insisting on doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on demonstrating it for some mysterious reason) and him not being altruistic aren't mutually exclusive facts, you know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Ohbee wrote:
...backing a game only if it has KS exclusives is kinda pathetic.


It's actually a great way to protect oneself against a KS that has issues. Whether component issues, or a bad rulebook, or perhaps the game turns out not to be to the backers liking. With the Exclusives, it makes it easier to sell.

The idea of backing someones dream to make it a reality and all, well that's nice. But there are other ways to help someone out. If I truly want to help someone make a game, I'd just donate to the KS and ask for no rewards.


I agree Jorune - As being a backer of 124 items on KS alone, there has been plenty I have donated to with zero reward; mainly including music and arts. We all know this is a pre-order (Correct?) Com'on i mean Cmon - hehe.. my comment was to the likes of say Isaac Childres, Cody Miller, Jamie Stegmeier..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.