Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
(Edit: Yes, it's very heavy handed, it's an Editorial Cartoon!)

http://editorialcartoonists.com/
http://www.philhandscartoons.com/

~~~

It really really really upsets me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Wait! America has Christian values it actually acts upon?? Since when?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Jesus himself would be spit on for being a weak dirty Liberal...what with all the disregard for money, helping lazy poor people and turning the other cheek and all that.

I have an extended family that for the most part would be considered Fundamentalist. Some of them are very nice people, and some are quite active in helping poor people (including trips to Haiti). Yet when it comes to politics, they buy right into the hate and fear spewed out by right-wing media. We see each other very little these days, and I'm sure both sides see that as for the best...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:
Jesus himself would be spit on for being a weak dirty Liberal...what with all the disregard for money, helping lazy poor people and turning the other cheek and all that.

I have an extended family that for the most part would be considered Fundamentalist. Some of them are very nice people, and some are quite active in helping poor people (including trips to Haiti). Yet when it comes to politics, they buy right into the hate and fear spewed out by right-wing media. We see each other very little these days, and I'm sure both sides see that as for the best...

Abortion is the wedge. Once abortion is illegal for the foreseeable future, they might start acting differently. Unless the rot is too deep by that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

windsagio wrote:
(Edit: Yes, it's very heavy handed, it's an Editorial Cartoon!)

http://editorialcartoonists.com/
http://www.philhandscartoons.com/

It really really really upsets me.

Apparently, you don't remember much about the political fallout in Israel that occurred after King Herod ordered all the Jewish babies 2 years of age and under of Bethlehem (and other possible surrounding villages) to be killed after Christ was born.

> Excerpts from the January 31, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Brian Tashman entitled:

"Fox & Friends" Botches The Bible While Insisting, "Jesus Wasn’t A Refugee"

This morning, the hosts of “Fox & Friends” criticized Rev. Al Sharpton for describing Jesus as a refugee, inviting Fox News reporter Carley Shimkus to investigate Sharpton’s claims.

Mocking Sharpton for supposedly getting the Bible wrong, Shimkus told hosts Steve Doocy, Brian Klimeade and Ainsley Earhardt that Jesus was not a refugee because, according to the Gospel of Luke, Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem for tax reasons.

However, Shimkus clearly missed Matthew 2, which recounts how Mary and Joseph fled to Egypt with the infant Jesus as refugees from Israel after an angel had warned Joseph in a dream that “'Herod is going to search for the Child to kill Him.' So Joseph got up, took the Child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where they stayed until the death of Herod.” After taking refuge in Egypt, the family then returned “for those who were trying to take the Child’s life are dead.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:

This may be the saddest part of all. Trump is not only separating us from the rest of the world, including our long-time allies, but splitting families and friends. My son voted for Donald even though I tried to dissuade him because he was afraid Hillary would take his guns. Now I'm afraid to ask him if he thinks it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Why this obsessive need to concern yourself with whether or not others are living up to some sort of moral code? Why not just concern yourself with your own moral obligations? It's not a competition. Just strive to do your best and hope everyone else does the same.

If everyone spent more time examining their own moral obligations and how they could best meet them rather than obsessing over whether or not everyone else was doing enough the world would be a vastly better place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Abortion is the wedge. Once abortion is illegal for the foreseeable future, they might start acting differently. Unless the rot is too deep by that point.

100% agreed. The right would crap themselves if the left ever decided to "play chicken" and flip stance on that one issue.

Is there anything more frustrating than seeing 40+ years of single-issue voters pushing people into office who have done / will do absolutely nothing but pay lip service to the issue they were supported on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Help me or I'll kill you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sarxis wrote:

No, "If you don't help those in need, then what good are your Christian values?" does not mean "Help me or I'll kill you."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Sarxis wrote:

No, "If you don't help those in need, then what good are your Christian values?" does not mean "Help me or I'll kill you."

for most of history christian values have meant I'll help you by killing you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

What the heck are you talking about?

Are you trying to say that the majority of vetted immigrants want to murder?

You are obviously very misinformed of the data if you honestly believe that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Sarxis wrote:

for most of history christian values have meant I'll help you by killing you.

My whole point is to note that those aren't good Christian values, they're common human values that occasionally use Christianity as a vector.

I object to people as in the Cartoon using Christianity as a vector for their hate and fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
err seems to me kill the body to save the soul was very much a religious idea, kill the body to take all their worldly goods was the church being secular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
err seems to me kill the body to save the soul was very much a religious idea, kill the body to take all their worldly goods was the church being secular.

It's so exhausting that keeps coming up like clockwork. "We had to kill them to save them" (which is the common usage of the phrase, although your version filters nicely) has plenty of non-religious usages, notably Bến Tre.

Now that that's dealt with we can get to the point. Christianity, if it isn't better than the Southern Baptist Trump Supporter who hates immigrants, certainly Can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
anything Can be better until people get involved. Sorry but that is coulda shoulda woulda.

plenty of chance for organised religion to change it's sop in the past - it never has why will it do so now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
mb
My family of origin is deeply fundamentalist Christian....

Their values and actions are anything but Christ-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
anything Can be better until people get involved. Sorry but that is coulda shoulda woulda.

plenty of chance for organised religion to change it's sop in the past - it never has why will it do so now?

And you savor your negative perception of it.

You can't talk to a zealot about their pet obsession, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my true* Christian friend on Facebook:

"Our faith reminds us that we are followers of a Middle Eastern refugee whose family fled to Egypt to avoid infanticide. Learning about the journey of refugees is an opportunity for discipleship that can deepen not just our understanding of the world but also God’s work in it and through it."
"Jesus taught us to love radically, unconditionally, and sacrificially. Our enemy is not someone who is of a different religion or culture or ethnicity; the real here enemy is fear. “Do not be afraid” is the most repeated command in the Bible. We must be careful that fear of others and a desire for an uninterrupted, comfortable life do not prevent us from participating in the mission of God. Instead, when we choose to love and welcome someone the world hates, despite our fear and discomfort, people will tangibly understand the reconciling work that Jesus did on the cross for all people."

*true Christians have read gospels other than the Gospel According To Ayn Rand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
From my true* Christian friend on Facebook:

"Our faith reminds us that we are followers of a Middle Eastern refugee whose family fled to Egypt to avoid infanticide. Learning about the journey of refugees is an opportunity for discipleship that can deepen not just our understanding of the world but also God’s work in it and through it."
"Jesus taught us to love radically, unconditionally, and sacrificially. Our enemy is not someone who is of a different religion or culture or ethnicity; the real here enemy is fear. “Do not be afraid” is the most repeated command in the Bible. We must be careful that fear of others and a desire for an uninterrupted, comfortable life do not prevent us from participating in the mission of God. Instead, when we choose to love and welcome someone the world hates, despite our fear and discomfort, people will tangibly understand the reconciling work that Jesus did on the cross for all people."

*true Christians have read gospels other than the Gospel According To Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand... what a leech of government services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
Everybody knows that True Christian Patriots follow Supply-Side Jesus.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bCqRp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:

I wonder what Jesus would have said to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmb
zealot ? hardly Much as I wish a pack of lions would eat all christians , I have never exactly gone out of my way to make it happen nor do I go up to strangers on the street and button hole them.

Interesting you resort to deflection and name calling though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
This may be the saddest part of all. Trump is not only separating us from the rest of the world, including our long-time allies, but splitting families and friends. My son voted for Donald even though I tried to dissuade him because he was afraid Hillary would take his guns. Now I'm afraid to ask him if he thinks it was worth it.

I have been thinking about posting a thread about suppressing the urge to say "I told you so." Shortly after the election, there were several RSP threads about how people voted for Trump because their feelings were hurt, or that they felt talked-down-to, by Hollywood elites telling them they'd have to be complete idiots to vote for Trump. In order to get those people to accept that they need to vote for the lesser of two evils next time rather than doubling down/digging in, it's going to be necessary to suppress the natural requirement to say "OF COURSE HE FUCKED YOU OVER, WHAT DID YOU THINK HE WAS GOING TO--" and, instead, figure out how to say something more understanding, more inclusive. I just don't know what that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viclineal wrote:
Everybody knows that True Christian Patriots follow Supply-Side Jesus.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bCqRp

I thought it was trickle-down blood theory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.