Subject: Two player "party" game? And..A more stressful Stone Age? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Seals
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for two different styles of games. I rarely play with more than 4 players. More often than not, it's usually only 2 to 3 of us. I also tend to shy away from games that have a ton of components and/or encyclopedia sized rule books. I also prefer games that play around the 1 hour or less mark. So, with those vague stipulations I wonder if any of you would be so kind as to recommend something for...

1. A "party" game for 2 to 3 (possibly 4) people that's laugh out loud fun, quick, and easy to bust out and start playing. Most party games are at least 4 players and up, but I was wondering if there were any games with the same feel as a party game but worked well with so few players.

2. I love Stone Age and I'd like a worker placement with the same feel of light-medium strategy, but plays a little tighter. Stone Age is great, but it kind of feels too casual--which is okay sometimes, but sometimes I want a little more stress in competing for places to place my workers. I have Viticulture, Le Havre and Tzolk'in (just to save you the trouble of listing them perhaps).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Party game: Something dexterity oriented seems like it fit the bill. Tok Tok Woodman? Animal Upon Animal?

Stone Age ++: 2-player agricola in 'family mode' (e.g. no occupations/minor improvements) might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. 25 Words or Less. great party game for 4 players. Anomia: Party Edition also great with 4, I've played it with 2 where we simultaneously flip and consider it a match but yeah thats stretching it. Spot it! might be worth it as it plays well from 2-4.

2. try taking a look at Spyrium. Plays great at any player count. What makes this game rise above the rest is the tension. You have plenty of workers and they can go nearly anywhere BUT the value of the action you choose to do with them is decided by the amount of other workers around when you take them back. For the game looking so conspicuous in size this has some great depth and may be just what your looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon might work as a 2-player "party" game. It plays well with 2 and is the sort of thing I'd whip out at the bar, and it's great for laughing at your friends and making plans that immediately fall apart.

Otherwise, I think your best bet might be dexterity games and speed games like Kitty Paw Click Clack Lumberjack Cat Tower and so on.

Lords of Waterdeep is still pretty casual, but it's got a little more meat, a little tighter board, and a little less randomness. Might be worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pie Face Showdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party game: +1 Animal Upon Animal (you might want two sets)
Coconuts
Scattergories (old-school but funny)
Taboo (with some weird team set-up)

Stone Age(alternative): Istanbul
Glen More (i know it's hard to find)

The two stone age alternatives are the only things I could think of that fit into that timeframe. I could list a ton of others but they have longer playing times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Breese
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Party Games:
Jenga with a chess clock ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_F9bNuF0I )
Ghost Blitz or other speed/reaction games
Terror in Meeple City (formerly known as Rampage)
Strike: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123570/strike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For stressful worker placement without real rules overload, I'm going to have to go with Caylus. Plays great with 2 as well as great multi-player. Does ratchet the stress up a few hundred percent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick card game we love for 2+ players is Beasty Bar. Although slightly longer, we also love GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck. Both of these are hilarious :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.