Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting my copy of this much-anticipated gem in a couple of days. I play primarily 2-player with my gf, and I had a few questions on ways we can play this. Hopefully the designer or some folks who have received the game can help answer

1. How does the game scale across player count? What changes when playing 2 player vs playing 4 player?

2. I want to be able to see and do as much as possible during the main campaign, and to me that means getting the player count up so that I can play with more classes, complete more goals and unlock more stuff. Would the game work well as a 4-character 2-player game where we each manage 2 characters? I'm used to playing Darkest Night this way and it works great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
I'll be getting my copy of this much-anticipated gem in a couple of days. I play primarily 2-player with my gf, and I had a few questions on ways we can play this. Hopefully the designer or some folks who have received the game can help answer

1. How does the game scale across player count? What changes when playing 2 player vs playing 4 player?

2. I want to be able to see and do as much as possible during the main campaign, and to me that means getting the player count up so that I can play with more classes, complete more goals and unlock more stuff. Would the game work well as a 4-character 2-player game where we each manage 2 characters? I'm used to playing Darkest Night this way and it works great

Not an expert in the game but from my rules reading:

1. More Mobs and different level Mobs. The scenario rules show you how it scales.

2. Issue is that game is designed for each player to run one character but as they say - it's your game now. There are also rules on scaling difficulty if you are playing Solo/Open Hands (which is what it means when you know what another character is playing for cards (in your case both you and your GF know what 2 characters are playing and synchronizing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I know that thee scenario setup changes, i.e. the number of enemies adapts to the player count.

2) There is some hidden information between the players, so if you use more than one character per player, you are not entirely playing as intended, although it will certainly work.
The game is designed to work well with two characters, too, and Isaac has explicitly said that nearly all character class combinations will be good for two-player.
In the solo variant, where you play two-handed, it is suggested to increase the dungeon difficulty without increasing the rewards, to compensate for the perfect knowledge and coordination you have between your two hands. If you really want to play with two characters each, you should probably do that, too.

I personally will be playing two-player with my partner, but one character each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend one character each. It scales very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:

But having less characters out, completing goals, wouldn't that possibly effect the amount of content you get to see during the campaign? I'm more worried that with only 2 characters, I won't be able to unlock all the classes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
P0isson wrote:

But having less characters out, completing goals, wouldn't that possibly effect the amount of content you get to see during the campaign? I'm more worried that with only 2 characters, I won't be able to unlock all the classes

Oh, I wouldn't worry about THAT one. There are one or two classes you might have an issue unlocking, but those wouldn't be any easier with a higher character count.

You will get the full game experience playing with just 1 character each. In fact, in my opinion a bigger worry would be running out of goals TOO early, due to having too many characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Alex said.

You need more Time to Unlock everything but i am 99% sure that you unlock everything when you play the Game with 2 Players 1 Character each.
I would recommened that also, tha Game scales well and you get the full expierience with 2 Players 1 Character each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In all honesty, you definitely will not unlock everything by playing solely with 2 players. Generally speaking, you'll need to complete 10-15 scenarios to retire a character and unlocking a new one (or all the other stuff besides characters) and the main story line "only" consists of 51 scenarios while the other 44 are purely side quests with some of them blocking each other.

But on the other hand you'll only need half the time compared to a 4 player game. Even when playing 2 characters each, I can't stress enough how much more time you'll need for any given scenario. And additionally some characters need either a very good or bad party reputation to unlock, which probably won't ever happen with a single party.

Just be glad that you'll be able to play this thing a 2nd time without playing a single character you've already unlocked before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyegleam wrote:
In all honesty, you definitely will not unlock everything by playing solely with 2 players. Generally speaking, you'll need to complete 10-15 scenarios to retire a character and unlocking a new one (or all the other stuff besides characters) and the main story line "only" consists of 51 scenarios while the other 44 are purely side quests with some of them blocking each other.

But on the other hand you'll only need half the time compared to a 4 player game. Even when playing 2 characters each, I can't stress enough how much more time you'll need for any given scenario. And additionally some characters need either a very good or bad party reputation to unlock, which probably won't ever happen with a single party.

Just be glad that you'll be able to play this thing a 2nd time without playing a single character you've already unlocked before.

The maths has been done in another thread, at 3 players you should have every character unlocked with side quest.

6/17 (0-15) => 8/17 (16-30) => 10/17 (31-45) => 12/17 (46-60) => 14/17 (61-75)

It's been estimated that you make 75 scenarios in a campaign, side quest counted. + at least one hero from reputation, and surely 1 or 2 by other means. And remember that you'll lose some scenario, counting in the progress. You'll lose at least 15 in the 75, so you unlock everything logically (I mean every characters).

Plus you still can play casual mode if you need to unlock the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That seems about right but I only stated that you won't be able to unlock everything in a 2 player game. And even after finishing a 3 player game I bet there are usually some things left untouched (the reputation unlocks for example). There are 24 career goals. Not all of them unlock a character but an envelope instead. And some of them, while having different goals, will unlock the same thing (but the rules state that if for whatever reason something is already unlocked you'll get something different).

But your typical 2 player game will only last have as long compared to a 4 player game just by the different numbers of enemies to fight each scenario. So there should be no worries of missing out. Just start a new game once you've finished the first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reputation heroes can be unlocked with personal goals. And since you can chose your personal goal out of 2, it's easier to make sure you unlock characters. I really think even a two player game will unlock every characters. For the rest, it's another story.

But unlocking does not mean playing them, at 2 players there is still roughly 7 characters unplayed once the game is finished and 14 personal goals. But the casual mode is here for that, and the community created scenarios, and the 17 more scenarios made by Isaac. And also, we're 3 years in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.