Angelus Morningstar
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally published here, do not replicate without permission or attribution: http://storyboardwebseries.tumblr.com/post/149822961147/one-...

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StoryBoardGames/
twitter: https://twitter.com/StoryBoardWebtv

Synopsis: You are either a werewolf or a villager, in this variant of the classic werewolf/mafia.

After one single round of interrogation the group will vote to lynch one among you. Should you lynch a werewolf, the villagers win but if you fail to lynch one, then the werewolves win.

The One Night feature is indicative of the way the game has a single night/day phase as opposed to several in sequence. This shifts the emphasis of the game away from social deduction to game deduction. That is, you make inferences based on changes in the game state through the night phase rather than how a person is behaving; though you can also make viable inferences from those too.

Commentary: The One Night format is easily my favourite form of this game. It is my most played game, clocking in at 200 plays at the time of writing. What I appreciate is how the first (and only) elimination ends the game, avoids the problem of player elimination.

The game hits similar beats to standard werewolf, but improved by giving players information or ways to affect the game state during the night. This shifts interrogation onto corroborating stories, not just about reading tells and body language. This encourages player involvement early rather than having them hold off.

The main limitation to this game is that there is a moderate learning curve, where people have to understand the logic of the game. Without this, the actions of claims and counterclaims are meaningless in any attempt to follow. This unfortunately means that you often have to take new players through several iterations of basic set ups before you can introduce more complex spreads.

My penchant for this game is also grounded in being able to adopt a stentorian narrator voice, and the observable reactions I get when people hear me drop into this voice. I also enjoy tinkering with the set up, and one of my most memorable games ended up with more werewolves than villagers after the night phase.

Verdict: This is easily my most versatile and most played games. I absolutely love unpacking it and delving into its deeper layers.

Expansions: There are two expansions as of writing, with a third one on the way and each of them is stand-alone but compatible. Daybreak is more a continuation of standard werewolf, offering more roles that suit the general game.

One Night Ultimate Vampire introduces new antagonists, as well as a new major game mechanism of marks. These can affect player’s agendas, making a villager into a vampire or a traitor. One Night Ultimate Alien also introduces new antagonists, but has variable affects with the game’s app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.