Subject: Horror game recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and board gaming in general. I was hoping to get some recommendations for some good horror themed games my friends and I should look into. I have pre-ordered Kingdom Death 1.5 and have Arkham Horror (which unfortunately due to game setup time and length we aren't able to play too often). I was looking at Mansions of Madness, Zombicide: Black Plague, and Fury of Dracula and was wondering if anyone thought these were good choices or had other recommendations. Any info is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I suggest Cave Evil and Fury of Dracula, 1st Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the games you name come from a wide range of games. So I try to cover some and give you my thoughts. I'll provide the game link so have have something to read over the weekend :

Claustrophobia ; great Dungeon Crawler. You descent into to pits of Hell and have to fight Trogs & Demons. Great, dark, tense game. One of my favs.

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) ; Zombie - themed game. Even if it has no minis the gameplay is great. Has easy start - rules and expands those. Also very playable SOLO !!! Don't get an earlier edition, look for the 3rd one.

Eldritch Horror ; while I love Arkham Horror I agree that it is a bit on the heavy side if you not a total Lovecraft buff. Better to try this one. Has expansions that are not used in addition to another one but you can choose the expansion you like in a complimentary way (one or the other not both).

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game ; easy Zombie game. Run arround, fullfill victory conditions and seeto it, that the Zombies don't get you first. Tons of stuff in the basic box and even more when you dig in the expansions. As said: On the light side (which is not meant negatively).

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift ; dark, Horror - themed Dungeon Crawler with fresh elements. No dice. Recommended.

Secrets of the Lost Tomb ; has Horror - elements in it (depending on the scenario / expansion your using); light but fun Dungeon - Crawler

Shadows over Normandie ; kind of a (simple) wargame, if your into Chtu.. Cthul... Cutlu... <sneeze> you know what I mean. GI's vs. the Old Ones (or at least one) and the Spawn of the Old Ones. Fun game, easy to learn if you like wargames.

Mansions of Madness ; I liked the first one better, not into "Games and Android mobile" since some of the guys I play with tend to drift to BGG, ebay and KS while playing.

Fury of Dracula (third edition) lied it, kind of Scotland Yard except that you try to find a vampire and kill his spawn. A good game but the Horror element is IMHO not so high.

Zombicide ; regardless which one, I have Season 1,2,3 and Black Plaque. For me a pure, simple Zombie shootout. Easy to teach, easy to get in. If you like Walking Dead or the classic Dawn of the Dead it's the right game. Grab equipment, kill those Zombies. Yeah.

Betrayal at House on the Hill ; you might also look ito this. You explore a Haunted House and depending on the scenario nasty things happen to you (one of the players might turn against the other etc.). Needs 3+ IMHO.

Hope this helps a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Florence
South Africa
Johannesburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If theme is a strong requirement, then Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is pretty high up. This and the ones mentioned above are traditional horror themed.

There is also Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game which is more of a euro - not my fav but some people love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Claustrophobia ; great Dungeon Crawler. You descent into to pits of Hell and have to fight Trogs & Demons. Great, dark, tense game. One of my favs.
+1 for this!

Almost all other (good) horror board games require a long setup and/or play time.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game requires constructing decks before you can start playing, but only have to do it once at the start of a campaign. Setup and gameplay is quick, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duncan
United States
Fraser
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Wood and sheep for penguin bomber?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Shadow Over Westminster is a pretty awesome co-op save the world from disaster horror themed game. Mike Selinker (Betrayal at House on the Hill) referenced this game on a panel in ...GenCon I think; now I can't recall which Con it was at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought Munchkin was a total and absolute horror-show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Maybe City of Horror? The horror theme isn't exactly that strong once you start playing though - it ends up being a lot of negotiation about who gets thrown to the zombies instead of frantic action, but that seems pretty in-line with the theme in my opinion.

I like Ghost Stories quite a bit, but it's another game where the (Chinese) horror theme is somewhat thin once you start playing. A nice co-operative game though, and plays quickly (partly because it's quite hard and you are likely to lose fast your first few plays).

Betrayal at House on the Hill is fantastic for theme, but pretty bad for gameplay. If you just want to be part of a cheesy horror story and don't mind some highly random game it can be a lot of fun though. (Oops! Didn't realize this was already mentioned - sorry!) The same designer is (with some others) making a new game that should be out this year called Apocrypha Adventure Card Game which might be worth investigating... of course it's not out yet so we'll have to wait and see how good it ends up being.

You ask specifically about Fury of Dracuala: I own the game and enjoy it, but rarely play it because the game is pretty long - finishing in 2 hours would be very quick from my experience. Based on your earlier comments, maybe that's longer than you'll be able to get on a table... but it remains one of my favorite gothic horror themed games despite only getting played on rare occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the suggestions all of them sound good, I will read more in depth on them over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Slaughterville might be right up your alley, There are a few copies available and there is a current kickstarter for a reprinting going on now. If you really want tension, try Zombie 15', the real-time aspect really amps it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This list is a little old now, but it has a lot of good ones:
The Definitive Horror Game Geeklist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients Is a dungeon crawl co-op, with a great exploration feel. It is Western themed fighting Cthulhu like monsters. The initial fight is in the mines, but their are portals to Otherworlds. The combat system is meh out of the box, but expansions look to make it more interesting. The selling point on the game is that your character levels up over the course of several games. Diablo (PC Game) like in character progression. You can play this solo or up to 6 players.

Zombicide is basically like the PC game Left 4 Dead. Dice chucking mindless fun. Plow throught he zombies to get to your goal. Black Plaque is a medieval themed version. Go with whatever theme you prefer. This game can be played solo or up to 4 players (or is it up to 6).

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game is most like The Walking Dead boardgame. Each player represents a faction co-habitation with the other players. You all need to work together to achieve the scenario goal, but to win, you ALSO have to fulfill your secret goal, which might go against the other players. I know people play this solo, but it seems to shine with 3-4 players.

The Others is a 1 vs. many game. This means 1 player takes on the role of the Sins, while 1-4 other players represent the FAITH team. The FAITH team must complete 3 objectives per scenario, the SINS player must stop them. Part Euro, part shoot 'me up. Designed by Eric Lang.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is also a 1 vs. many game. One player takes on the role of the Zombies. This game is pretty faithful to old school zombie movies, where the zombies may move slow, but can come at you from anywhere. Very light game.

Eldritch Horror is only slightly shorter to play than Arkham Horror. However, you spend ALOT less time on the Mythos phase, so the game is streamlined. You'll spend more time playing your character turns than moving monsters, dealing with the Outskirts, etc.

Elder Sign Has you running around a musuem in Arkham. It's a dice game with a rather meh theme. But wait! Don't write it off yet...

Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham Ah, so not enough time for Arkham Horror but still want the theme? This is an expansion to Elder Sign that really changes the game. Now you ARE running around Arkham. I only play this or Elder Sign: Omens of Ice when playing Elder Sign. The shame is that half of the components from Elder Sign are needed, meaning the other half from Elder Sign get shoved in a box unused.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game is an LCG. It tells a story true, but with the LCG model, the game will really shine only after picking up monthly expansion packs and a deluxe box in order to complete a cycle. This gets expensive. Plus one core box is required for every two players. Can be played solo.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game is an American Gothic inspired horror game, with a very Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow theme. The game really shines with the expansion A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion. It opens the map to give you more to explore. This game has many different monsters, covering Vampires, Cthulhu, Zombies, Headless Horseman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Werewolves, Ghost Ships, Gargoyles, Banshees, etc. (though the core game only has 4. The expansions bring in the others). Very thematic if simplistic gameplay.

Fury of Dracula (third edition) Is a 1 vs many title. 1 Player is Dracula, up to four others are the hunter. All versions of this game are now out of print. The rights are back with Games Workshop with no known idea if it will get a new edition. So my advice is to grab a copy sooner rather than later if you think you would like it.

Mythos Tales is an odd 'game', but I really enjoy it solo. It's more investigating than the others.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition The first edition is now out of print. It is a 1 vs many game. I have not played it, but I REALLY enjoy this co-op Econ edition. An app (iOS, Android, PC, Mac), acts as the 'gamemaster'. The map is revealed as you go along, so great exploration, and it is equal amounts of investigating a mystery and fighting the enemies. Solid stuff.

Fireteam Zero is in the Weird World War 2 theme. Co-op, 1-4 players. It is all about using the right card in your hand at the right time. Cards have from 1-3 different uses. Very easy rules but deep gameplay. Excellent game. It is all action, the monsters never stop coming at you, so you have to focus on your objective. Based on a book series.

Dark Darker Darkest is Resident Evil-like. Combines Euro mechanics with action packed gameplay. The included rulebook is poor, but the designer was given permission to write a new version taht clears a lot of things up (he did not write the one in the box). This is a co-op.

Cthulhu Wars Is a Risk like game. Really good fun, solid mechanics, expensive. But you did back KD:M...

Ancient Terrible Things is a light dice game with an exploration into the mysterious jungle theme. I enjoy it more for the theme than the gameplay.

Dark Gothic is a deck building game based off of A Touch of Evil. You need to build up to beat 3 boss monsters. I felt the 3 resource pool diluted decks.

Camp Grizzly Is like Friday the 13th the boardgame. Very thematic, but light on the mechanics. Your an play it solo (its a co-op), but I feel like it would really shine with other players who get the theme and appreciate the homage to those '80's slasher films.

Nightfall out of print deck builder. One of the best. Very interactive. I'd say this is an advanced Deck Builder. I feel like the only reason it's not a classic is because it came out too soon, people still enjoy the simplicity of Dominion.

Betrayal at House on the Hill starts off co-op, but usually one of the players turns traitor according to the scenario. There are many scenarios taht give you an exploring a mansion feel, but the game shines with a high player count and not all scenarios are equal.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.