Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-commando-idUSKBN...

Quote:
U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

More here plus more background.

Obama had previously declined approval for the mission due to insufficient intelligence.

TYT had previous protested Obama's killing of the father and his 16 year old son (both u.s. citizens) with a drone strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Four years ago, Glenn Greenwald wrote: Chilling legal memo from Obama DOJ justifies assassination of US citizens
Quote:
The most extremist power any political leader can assert is the power to target his own citizens for execution without any charges or due process, far from any battlefield. The Obama administration has not only asserted exactly that power in theory, but has exercised it in practice.

Waaay back in 2010 the NYT wrote: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

Pretty shitty precedent set by Obama. Who is expecting Trump to exercise restraint? Perhaps more people should have been outraged about extrajudicial killings years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The news I have heard seems to indicate that this raid was planned during the Obama administration, sitting on the shelf and ready to execute, the only thing thwarting it was moonlight, which would make the raid more difficult. The raid was executed under Trump's order, but essentially planned under Obama's watch. That, to some degree, is believable, I do take heart in the miltary, in terms of preparing for and executing such an event with reasonable precision. So I don't buy it that Trump was ill prepared, if the raid was ill prepared, it was done so under Obama's watch.

That said, the raid went down, and the Seal was killed. Sad, but according to news, the raid did offer some intelligence that will reward us in the future, so the loss of life was not in total vain. And, to Trumps's credit, he did have the good sense to honor the body of the fallen.

With regard to the previous post and exrtajudicial killings, Presidents have long had that power, whether legal or illegal, and have attempted to use it (think Kennedy/Castro assasination attempts). I am not sure being a U.S. Citizen has anything to do with it, if they are not onn United States soil, AND known to be supporting or engaging in terrorism. Crying foul at that point, because they are citizens, does not hold much weight in the argument on whether to kill, or not to kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
I am not sure being a U.S. Citizen has anything to do with it, if they are not onn United States soil, AND known to be supporting or engaging in terrorism. Crying foul at that point, because they are citizens, does not hold much weight in the argument on whether to kill, or not to kill.
I guess I am mistaken that ALL Americans had basic rights granted to them. Carry on then with extrajudicial killings, nothing to see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
I am not sure being a U.S. Citizen has anything to do with it, if they are not onn United States soil, AND known to be supporting or engaging in terrorism. Crying foul at that point, because they are citizens, does not hold much weight in the argument on whether to kill, or not to kill.
I guess I am mistaken that ALL Americans had basic rights granted to them. Carry on then with extrajudicial killings, nothing to see here.

I am not a lawyer, so I cannot speak to their rights when overseas, I personally believe all U.S. citizens should be allowed due process as their right. Innocent until proven guilty.

Note the NY article indicates:
But the director of national intelligence, Dennis C. Blair, told a House hearing in February that such a step was possible. “We take direct actions against terrorists in the intelligence community,” he said. “If we think that direct action will involve killing an American, we get specific permission to do that.”

I think they had a pretty good case against the cleric, but he was not about to walk into your local police station and turn himself in now, was he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Anderson
msg tools
Wild idea here: we wouldn't have to extrajudicially kill anyone if we stopped our meddling in the middle East that consistently just creates more and more new problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The principal purpose of ths mission was to obtain intelligence. There may be missions for which the deaths of childen are acceptable collateral damage - I do not see how they can be here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
The news I have heard seems to indicate that this raid was planned during the Obama administration, sitting on the shelf and ready to execute, the only thing thwarting it was moonlight, which would make the raid more difficult. The raid was executed under Trump's order, but essentially planned under Obama's watch. That, to some degree, is believable, I do take heart in the miltary, in terms of preparing for and executing such an event with reasonable precision. So I don't buy it that Trump was ill prepared, if the raid was ill prepared, it was done so under Obama's watch.

That said, the raid went down, and the Seal was killed. Sad, but according to news, the raid did offer some intelligence that will reward us in the future, so the loss of life was not in total vain. And, to Trumps's credit, he did have the good sense to honor the body of the fallen.

With regard to the previous post and exrtajudicial killings, Presidents have long had that power, whether legal or illegal, and have attempted to use it (think Kennedy/Castro assasination attempts). I am not sure being a U.S. Citizen has anything to do with it, if they are not onn United States soil, AND known to be supporting or engaging in terrorism. Crying foul at that point, because they are citizens, does not hold much weight in the argument on whether to kill, or not to kill.

The point is killing a u.s. citizen without a trial violates their civil rights in the view of TYT.

The news is at odds with the facts in this story and in the video.

They say the raid was planned during Mr. Obama's watch but he rejected it because he felt there wasn't sufficient intelligence to approve it.

Mr. Trump picked up the rejected raid and approved it.

And that includes input from military leaks who validate that information.

The news you are referring to sounds like Spicer's press release. Spicer has no credibility.

15 civilian women and children killed in addition to the militant women.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, we care about killing US citizens now? And about Yemen?

I knew there had to be a silver lining to Trump's presidency
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is true, I really wish I could hear what the SEAL who flew that Trump flag on his convoy vehicle says about it. Trump sending one of his brotherhood to die, and putting the whole inserted group at risk. Still going to fly that flag high?

Cowboys should not be Commander-In-Chief. Oh sure, culturally, military members will romanticize them, but only until they start getting killed for no good reason.

I'd really hate if this turned out to be OJT for Trump, no one deserves to die to teach a grown man proper judgment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

I am not a lawyer, so I cannot speak to their rights when overseas, I personally believe all U.S. citizens should be allowed due process as their right. Innocent until proven guilty.

Note the NY article indicates:
But the director of national intelligence, Dennis C. Blair, told a House hearing in February that such a step was possible. “We take direct actions against terrorists in the intelligence community,” he said. “If we think that direct action will involve killing an American, we get specific permission to do that.”

I think they had a pretty good case against the cleric, but he was not about to walk into your local police station and turn himself in now, was he?

Oh, well as long as someone says it's OK to kill an American then I guess it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:

There was a lot of condmenation of the drone strike that killed the father and son under Obama, at least in RSP. Regrettably there were some that defended it, but it's not like it went uncommented on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
theodorelogan wrote:

There was a lot of condmenation of the drone strike that killed the father and son under Obama, at least in RSP. Regrettably there were some that defended it, but it's not like it went uncommented on.

I don't recall what the tenor of conversation was in RSP (I pop in and out of here over the years) but the national conversation was barely there. That, I do remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
I don't recall what the tenor of conversation was in RSP (I pop in and out of here over the years) but the national conversation was barely there. That, I do remember.
I agree, I think Obama's drone strike program definitely was given a pass by way too many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:

As i already said multiple times, yes. TYT also cared while mr obama was president and objected to intentionally killing u.s. citizens without a trial then also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.