Hide
4 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enmity question involving [Spoiler] location (Box 5 Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reilly
msg tools
We have opened boxes up through 5, but I am concerned that our first game we played with
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The island of Patmos and its associated colony of Ker

may have been played incorrectly.

The colony of Ker has not been touched, and Patmos has a bunch of enmity from 3 players on it. We saw in the rules that Ker is supposed to be set under the board near the island of Patmos until Ker is conquered. The front of Ker shows a colony that can be conquered, so that makes sense for us. What does the back of the card mean, though? It says something to the effect of "While the emperor has control over Ker, when checking an island site for enmity, use the value on the island or the value on Patmos, whichever is higher."

We are unsure of who the Emperor is. The UNLOCK milestone we have currently says at the end of it, "Completing this milestone will name an emperor," but we still haven't unlocked box 6. Now, I don't have any idea what's in box 6, nor do I want it spoiled, but it feels like completing that milestone names an emperor, but then you continue playing and the back of Ker only counts if whoever was named Emperor ALSO has control of Ker. We ignored the enmity clause on the back of Ker because we had no idea who the emperor was and it felt like the game became balanced HEAVILY against players who have enmity there, effectively preventing any chance of raids until the stickers get marked off. Did we do this wrong? Is that clause on the back of Ker always in effect until it gets conquered?

Sorry for the dissertation, but I have a gut feeling we did this wrong and that a milestone was achieved too easily in our most recent game:
A player with 4 enmity on Patmos was barely able to raid the Temple on Arados, but removed no dice from Ker enmity to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How dare you mainlanders forget the true Emperor of the ancient empire, the man you call the Pirate King falsely. You are the pirates.

Unlocking the location of Ker and Patmos revealed the emperor, the man who rules the seas.

The effect of Ker is always in play until the true Emperor is defeated. Once the True Emperor is defeated... well the empire falls and you go back to the normal enmity rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andrew's got this right. The Box 4 unlocking flavor text should have made this clear.

And yes, it's a pretty big penalty for raiders. In our case, though, someone was able to conquer it the very next game with the help of an advisor:
Grizzled Veteran, a +raid advisor that gives you two fortune tokens and lets you spend up to 4 at a dangerous site.

I wouldn't worry about reversing the milestone for the temple - if everyone was playing without the special enmity effects, let that game stand and just play it correctly moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reilly
msg tools
Yeah, we read that at the very end of our previous game and forgot a week later when we sat down to play this one. We're just going to play through it, but it just feels really bad because our 5th place player was missing for that game we played and so he missed out on being able to very easily start catching up to us.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.