Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This review was originally written and posted by me on Ameritrash.nl

The Others: 7 Sins is a new game designed by Eric M. Lang and published by Cool Mini or Not. A combination of the publisher of Blood Rage and the designer of Chaos in the Old World. Two of my favorite games. This time Eric designed a dungeon crawler. Is it a huge success, or does Eric finally disappoint me?

The Others: 7 Sins
Eric M. Lang
2-5 players
Cool Mini or Not (CMON)
90 minutes
One-vs-many, combat, monsters, ever, miniatures, disgust, tactical
English
High degree of dependence language

Goal
In The Others: 7 Sins the apocalypse has arrived and The 7 Sins (Deadly Sins) actually roam the world as we know it. So basically the world as we know it, has gone to hell and its population has mutated into strange tentacle creatures. The only thing which stands in the way of these deadly sins are 7 heroes from the F.A.I.T.H. organization.

The Others is a one-versus-many game for 5 players by Eric Lang. When playing with more than two players, one player will command all the forces of evil whilst the other players play the heroes. The Others is also a scenario-based ( "stories") game, with the base box containing 7 stories. There are 4 types Story boards (2 Terror boards, 2 Corruption boards, 2 Redemption boards and 1 End Game board). Terror stories focus on combat, Corruption stories focus on managing corruption and in the Redemption stories you try to save innocent characters. Each story board (regardless of type) comes with several objectives, which have to be achieved by the good guys in a set order. If they succeed, they win the game. Should more than three heroes die, all the good guys lose the game immediately.

One of the avatars

Setup
The setup of the Others is quite simple. The Sins player chooses one Sin to play and picks up the corresponding Sin board, Sin deck (and a starting hand of 5 cards) and the miniatures belonging to the Sin (1 Avatar, 1 Controller and 6 Abominations). Then the Sin player chooses one of the Acolyte species and takes the corresponding six miniatures. The Sin player also takes 3 or 4 Action tokens depending on the number of players.

The Sloth Sin. The statistics for Abomination, Controller and the Avatar can be found here. De Avatar roll 7 dice when attacking and has 7 lifepoints. During the scenario he has a permanent ability

Two examples of Acolytes in The Others: 7 Sins. Both have different abilities.

The apocalypse track. At the end of each round the marker moves up one space, making the game even more difficult to win for the good guys.

Together the players will decide which story they want to play. Depending on the type of story board the Sins player takes his Apocalpyse deck. On the back of the Story Board two configurations of tiles can be found for the player to choose from. A scenario consists of 8 tiles which you need to put together in a specific way. The storyboard also tells you where all the miniatures will start and where the tokens have to be placed.

One of the story boards.

The good guys always have a total of seven heroes to choose from. These are the first leader ( "Leader"), 2 Bruisers (powerful fighters, specialized in hand to hand combat), 2 Shooters ( "Archers" for fighting over distances) and 2 Fixers (the handyman, used to remove hostile tokens). Each hero comes with a Hero playerboard, showing spaces for Corruption, Wounds and a special ability. The good guys choose 3 or 4 Heroes and places them in the HQ location on the board. Every Hero starts with 2 Turn tokens and a City action token. The upgrade deck is shuffled and five cards are placed face-up on the table. These are the cards the players can buy during the game.

The setup for one of the heroes. Two turn markers, a city token and 5 lifepoints

Gameflow
The gameplay of the Others is quite simple. Besides, the summary of the gameflow can be found on the gameboard.

A typical round is as follows. The Sin player starts with the Start or Round effects as described on the story board. Most of the time you’ll need to place tokens which will make your opponent’s lives miserable. Then the Good guy chooses which hero will take the next turn. The turn order is determined at this time and is fixed for that round.

A Hero in his turn, starts by spending one of your two turn tokens. Then he can perform a move action (2 fields) and one action. You may determine the order in which you want to take your action, but you may never interrupt a movement or action. So basically it isn’t possible to move one space, take an action and finish your movement.

The heroes can choose from two actions:
- Engage in hand-to-hand or ranged combat. Hand-to-hand and ranged combat basically work the same. The biggest difference is that you can only attack monsters on the same space as you in hand-to-hand combat. The monster in its turn can strike back at you. Ranged combat allows your victims (of they survive) to move two spaces towards the attacker and potentially strike back at the attacker. So basically, ranged attack offers you more protection. The basics are the same, you build your dice pool and use the dice. You try roll as many hits as possible to kill enemies. An "explosive” die result lets you roll an extra die and offers you a die result of you choosing.
When fighting hand-to-hand, the Sin players also throws his dice. The Sin player can also throw hits (wounds for your hero) and corruption. Your hero-dice contain results which can cancel the hits and corruption of the Sin player. During combat you’ll need to find the ideal balance between winning important battles and take your wound.

Hero dice

- Cleanse Area. The Sin player spreads is tokens all over the board. Heroes may try to remove tokens by performing cleanse actions. You roll dice and try to roll as many eye-results as possible. For each result you rolled, you may remove one token.

Some of the tokens (mind, these come from an expansion pack!. The big token gives the Sin player the ability to draw an extra card at the end of each round. Next to this token are tokens for fire, spawning, a +1 attack and corruption.

Some of the hero tokens. The hacker, the sattelite to blow up enemies, an agent (+1 attack) and 3 regular NPC’s

You may also take a city action. You can perform these actions at any time during your turn (also during movement). Each location has its own combination of City actions. You’ll get these actions when activating the location. These are the actions you will encounter:
1. Heal - Heal one of your wounds.
2. Repent - Heal one corruption point from your hero.
3. Additional turn - Get one extra turn token that you can use for a 3rd action this roand.
4. Inventory - Take 1 upgrade card from the available cards. This card is immediately replaced/
5. Orbital Strike - Move the Orbital Strike token 2 squares and blow up an Acolyte or Abomination.

After each action, the Sin player may choose if he wants to respond to the hero action. He may:
1. Move a monster 1 or 2 spaces. A monster may never leave a space containing a hero.
2. Fighting with the last active Hero.

Conclusion

Let me start by saying that I really enjoyed The Others: 7 Sins. The year 2016 was a great year for those of us who like miniature games. Games like Conan almost made us forget about The Others: 7 Sins. I’m glad we didn’t forget about this game, because for me this is a unique game in which you’ll have to solve a new puzzle every game.

Despite the determining factor of the dice, the game still feels like a puzzle to me. How can you use your actions in the best way possible to achieve your goals, block your enemies and avoid as much damage as possible. You need to find a balance between getting damage, corruption points and exposing yourself to danger in order to reach your goals. This means that sometimes you’ll have to sacrifice a character on a suicide mission because you need to reach your goal.

The players need to realize that the heroes are at a disadvantage. The heroes are – without a doubt - weaker than the Sin player. For me a downside for me as well as the fact that the game feels quite abstract when playing. You’ll need to sit down, relax and really think your strategies through. If you don’t, you’ll lose the game. These strategies will cause quite some downtime. I’ve played The Others with 2 or 3 players most of the times and with those player numbers it’s a great game. And because most characters are easy to understand and play, you can easily play two characters at once (unlike Star Wars: Imperial Assault).

The miniatures in The Others: 7 Sins are great, though they are a little more horrific than we are used to. Both the tentacles and corruption have come to life in some monstrous forms. But why are there only 2 Sins included in the basegame? Shouldn’t the name of the game have been The Others: 2 out of 7 Sins? The expansion will bring you the other sins and more variation in the game. In my opinion the expansions are mandatory.

Another small issue I have with the game are the tokens on the board. More and more tokens will appear on the board and the players have to move around those. However there isn’t a descend reference sheet showing what which token does. Too bad. Of course you can find these reference sheets on the Geek, but in my opinion these should have been included in the basegame.

Despite the minor issues I have with the game, I’m really content with the games as well. So Eric didn’t disappoint me. Even though I already own quite some overlord games (Imperial Assault, Descent and Conan) I feel this game is really different from the ones I own. So, The Others: 7 Sins will probably remain in my collection!

Ameritrash.nl is a dutch website which has its focus on thematic boardgames. We can also be found on Facebook, Instagram and right here on the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thought out review. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But why are there only 2 Sins included in the basegame? Shouldn’t the name of the game have been The Others: 2 out of 7 Sins?

It really disappoints me to hear you repeating this tired joke that began in the KS comments during the campaign.

Look at the box. Look at the BGG entry. The name of the game is "The Others." It does not advertise or imply 7 Sins anywhere in the title or packaging or promotional material.

Additionally, most people seem to agree that buying one or two Sin expansions is great for added replayability, but that buying all five is completely unnecessary for all but the most hardcore fans of the game.

Good review otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes agreed. I have the two from the base and one additional, I don't really want anymore plastic at the minute, though if Cmon sold the sin cards separately (which they never will) I'd snap them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Quote:
But why are there only 2 Sins included in the basegame? Shouldn’t the name of the game have been The Others: 2 out of 7 Sins?

It really disappoints me to hear you repeating this tired joke that began in the KS comments during the campaign.

Look at the box. Look at the BGG entry. The name of the game is "The Others." It does not advertise or imply 7 Sins anywhere in the title or packaging or promotional material.

Additionally, most people seem to agree that buying one or two Sin expansions is great for added replayability, but that buying all five is completely unnecessary for all but the most hardcore fans of the game.

Good review otherwise.

You're right, but the change in name came after the campaign, after many people commented about the discrepance in the retail game. So "this tired joke" seems to have done the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The name (The Others: 7 Sins) is still on the box.

Small nitpick, it's by no way a big issue with the game. There are tons of mini's already, but I think the additional Sins do provide a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ruud2009 wrote:
The name (The Others: 7 Sins) is still on the box.

Small nitpick, it's by no way a big issue with the game. There are tons of mini's already, but I think the additional Sins do provide a lot of replayability.

It shouldn't be on the retail box. I think the reason it is is because some retailers are selling the KS core box or otherwise games from the same shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Dormammu"]
Quote:

As a fan of the game becoming more hardcore with each new game I play, I'm glad I have them all indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nice to have sure, but necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Locrian wrote:

NOT necessary, that's 100% sure. Nice to have that's 200% sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
Dr Locrian wrote:

NOT necessary, that's 100% sure. Nice to have that's 200% sure :p

Add to that all the "Team Packs expansion": I'd say 1 is sort-of necessary. I have three, just one missing, and I'm now chasing it like a rabid dog :zombie:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Ponte
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which do u prefer, this one or Conan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damianponte wrote:

Pff. They are quite close for me as they both have strong resource management features. I think I like Conan a little better because of thematic reasons and the innovative nature of the gem mechanism.

At times, the Others rewards turtling too much for the overlord, which I didn't enjoy as much.

Conan has both sides at times being aggressors.

I've kept both though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damianponte wrote:

Gotta admit I prefer The Others by far. Much much funnier for the Overlord IMO. Also it seems to me that The Others offers more relevant choice per turn and a greater replayability.

Resource management is strong is both case.

I had to resell Conan for shelf space reasons when I came to this conclusion.

Niot saying that Conan is a bad game though but its appeal to us started to dwindle after three games when we've played more than ten games of The Others so far and can't get enough of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.