1 , 2  Next »   | 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Book 1 battle 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greenhill Christmas
msg tools
mb
I have a problem with this scenario. So the book says turtles win if old hob receive a KO token, and the rulebook says you receive the KO token if you try to get up and you fail. So the villain could just not try to get up, because it is not mandatory to use your leader. Or you can wait and wait until you have some miniatures surounding him to be sure you will success on your awaken roll.
I'm quite sure I'm missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Kevin Wilson has clarified this: You also receive a KO token if you go one complete round without attempting to revive a downed villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenhill Christmas
msg tools
mb
That makes sense, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Wu
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
Kevin Wilson has clarified this: You also receive a KO token if you go one complete round without attempting to revive a downed villain.

Was it ever decided on whether it was one complete round or the end of the current round? In another thread, it sounded like it was still up in the air. Any idea where Kevin's quote is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greenhill Christmas
msg tools
mb
I had had the same doubt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Not sure where the quote is, but I'm 99% sure it's a full round. Otherwise it gets very hairy if it's the villains last turn that round. Also remember the heroes get a full round, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
One full round. I'm gonna try to get a FAQ 2.0 up in the next week or two with this and a few other issues handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this take into account if the Villain player does not have an Old Hob card (he probably should have but he may have been using a lot of them in prior turns), like would he get an extra round if he showed he had no cards to use ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran into this problem last night. I was the baddies and I openly brought it up to the table. I showed them my hand and asked everyone: So what's stopping me for just not playing an Old Hob card? The odds of drawing an entire hand of old hob cards is very low with that randomizer in the deck.

Glad to hear there's clarification.

I had another question that came up though: what if I have cards for villains not on the board?

That was what we had to decided last night, that if the players eliminated all of one villain type I couldn't play that card and would have to choose someone else, so that greatly upped the odds of me needed to play a hob card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
GilvanBlight wrote:
I had another question that came up though: what if I have cards for villains not on the board?

That was what we had to decided last night, that if the players eliminated all of one villain type I couldn't play that card and would have to choose someone else, so that greatly upped the odds of me needed to play a hob card.

By "villain type" I assume you are referring to minions. Technically, "villains" refers only to the unique bosses.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that the villain will not be able to do anything at all. Think about it this way: Let's say only Old Hob is left on the board. Even if he isn't KO'd, he can still only be activated once per turn, yet the villain gets 2 card plays. Obviously one of those will be wasted. Such a situation should happen rarely, but as I said, it is possible within the game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
GilvanBlight wrote:

By "villain type" I assume you are referring to minions. Technically, "villains" refers only to the unique bosses.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that the villain will not be able to do anything at all. Think about it this way: Let's say only Old Hob is left on the board. Even if he isn't KO'd, he can still only be activated once per turn, yet the villain gets 2 card plays. Obviously one of those will be wasted. Such a situation should happen rarely, but as I said, it is possible within the game mechanics.

Yes by villain I meant any of the bad guys, minion, henchman, boss, whatever.

In this case what happens?

Does the player play a card and nothing happens? I would think that a card as to be 'burnt' since otherwise you could use this to keep effects in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
GilvanBlight wrote:

There is a very significant distinction between bosses and minions. As pertaining to this particular scenario, it is impossible to have no villain (boss) on the board. So we must clarify that you are indeed talking about minions in order to be sure you are playing the game correctly.

Quote:

Does the player play a card and nothing happens? I would think that a card as to be 'burnt' since otherwise you could use this to keep effects in play.

Unless Kevin Wilson states otherwise, I would say that is the only thing that can happen. The villain player MUST play 2 cards per turn (it's a vital part of the game mechanic), and unless stated otherwise, no specific figure may be activated twice on a turn. In gaming, we must always find a way to follow all the rules if at all possible. The only way I can think of to meet those two requirements with only a single villain figure on the board is to "burn" one of the cards in the villain's hand. There is no rule that states the villain player must actually make any sort of move after playing a card, so while it might be a frustrating last resort, it is a legal play. In fact, it could be a solid strategy for the heroes to pursue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
GilvanBlight wrote:
PRSthruVOX wrote:
GilvanBlight wrote:

Yes you play a card with no effect. However you would get any defense bonuses from those cards and any remains in play abilities on those cards. So they aren't completely wasted, depending on what cards you have in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget desperation activation. You can always play a card facedown to activate a single villain figure of your choice with 1 skateboard, katana, OR shuriken icon (also your choice).

Other than that, if you play a card that would activate a figure a 2nd time in the same turn, the figure is not activated, though the card is still added to the card lineup in front of the villain player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
KevinW wrote:
Don't forget desperation activation. You can always play a card facedown to activate a single villain figure of your choice with 1 skateboard, katana, OR shuriken icon (also your choice).

Other than that, if you play a card that would activate a figure a 2nd time in the same turn, the figure is not activated, though the card is still added to the card lineup in front of the villain player.

Are you saying that desperation activation can be used to activate a figure for a second time on a turn? I did not realize that was an exception to the single-activation rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, sorry, it's not an exception to the 2nd activation rule, you can't do that. I was responding to the original poster, who was asking about using cards for villains not on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:

Hi Kevin, thanks for showing up again.

This second card played that would not activate the figure - do any icons (skateboard, katana, OR shuriken) on it still count for the figure, if not should any such card be played face down to avoid later confusion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:

So would you be required to play a card face down to activate someone or could you just play a card and not activate anything in hopes of getting better cards or using a defense bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's up to you.

If you have cards for figures that aren't currently on the board, you simply have options:
1. Use it as a face-down desperation activation for another figure (without breaking the "can't activate a figure twice in one turn" rule).
2. Play it for nothing more than the defence bonus. If it's the last turn of the round you might be spawning that figure next, so it could at least help them survive a little longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
KevinW wrote:

Hi Kevin, thanks for showing up again.

This second card played that would not activate the figure - do any icons (skateboard, katana, OR shuriken) on it still count for the figure, if not should any such card be played face down to avoid later confusion ?

No if they counted for a figure that would be activating them a second time. Only remains in play abilities in the text of the card and defense icons on the bottom right apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
BeerAndBoard wrote:

In case those other answers weren't clear:

Those icons you mention are action icons, and action icons MUST be used immediately or they are lost. So it shouldn't cause any confusion; once you are finally able to spawn a new minion, the minion card you played last turn, while still in play, would be inactive (with the exception of any defense boost or "While this card is in play" text, which would apply to the new minion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the question incorrectly shake, I meant the additional Defense shells - so Action icons aren't used because you can't activate a character twice in a turn but the bonus Shells do even though it is actually not an officially played card ?
Realize it is a strange situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
I asked the question incorrectly shake, I meant the additional Defense shells - so Action icons aren't used because you can't activate a character twice in a turn but the bonus Shells do even though it is actually not an officially played card ?

They do count if you play it face-up. If you play a card face-up into the queue of 4, then it is official. There is no requirement to actually use the card's action icons. It's the same as if you had a guy and a card with a skateboard an 2 katana, but he couldn't get close enough to attack anyone, so you just use the skateboard. Except in this case you don't use the skateboard either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
BeerAndBoard wrote:

They do count if you play it face-up. If you play a card face-up into the queue of 4, then it is official. There is no requirement to actually use the card's action icons. It's the same as if you had a guy and a card with a skateboard an 2 katana, but he couldn't get close enough to attack anyone, so you just use the skateboard. Except in this case you don't use the skateboard either.

Well it's debatable, as much as it can be since it's just a boardgame, as the card hasn't been legally played so is it official. Groups will probably, in the occasions it does occur, just house rule it as they want. We'd probably let the Villain player keep the Shells since they have lost a card anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a card that does not activate any figures IS a legally played card. There is nothing unofficial about the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.