6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: The great Ancient Wargame! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
Hi,

I am on the hunt for the great ancient (type) wargame, this is where I stumbled apon Hail Caesar! (By warlord games)

It looks pretty good, but is it a great wargame?

My definition of a great wargame:
1. FUN!
2. Strategic (flanking the enemy, using the environment, ect) more than just a mindless simulator (such as taking measurements, roll dice, replete.)
3. Many unit types (make your army unique, with a selection of your favorite unit types.)
4. Not overly complicated.
(Can't think of anymore ????)

Are there any other tabletop minutire wargame a that you can recommend?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a miniatures game, but in my book Command and Colors: Ancients is exceptionally good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
(Thanks for the reply)

But the "command and colors" system limits your actions?
Does this not "damper" the quality of the game?
Or is the system effective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally skeptical of the system - both it's card-driven nature and left/right/center segmentation of the game board.

I got used to it playing Memoir '44.

But I truly came to love it playing CC:A.

The cards, together with the rules, arguably make the game MORE realistic.

Your actions are indeed somewhat limited - but commanders were not gods! They needed to prioritize and triage on the battlefield. Moreover, they weren't necessarily able to do everything they wanted to do at a given moment. Remember, this was before the age of cell phones and drones!

Moreover, in CC:A you're really incentivized to fight the way ancient armies fought. You need to keep your line together and guard your flanks. Ranged weapons are helpful but not really that powerful. Leadership is very important.

I also like the balance between complexity and depth. CCA squeezes a great deal of depth and strategy into a game that's quite easy to learn and play.

I've played tons of different wargames and keep coming back to CCA.

CCA has a huge fan base, and I'm sure any questions you have about the game will be quickly answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
My go-to ancients is SPQR (Deluxe Edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.