Subject: Friendly Fire That Might Help - Barons Of Hell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings all,

I was on my way to work this morning, and to pass the time I was thinking out what to write for this Invader Strategies post that I'm planning on posting in the near future. A thought occurred to me that might make for an interesting twist in invader strategy regarding the Baron of Hell, but I want to confirm it with you guys to make sure that it's allowable.

So here goes - can a Baron of Hell use its Vengeful ability (or whatever it's called; the one that gives it +2 movement points whenever it's attacked) in response to being targeted by another demon figure? I don't have the demon card in front of me to confirm the wording, but is this ability only applicable if the attacker is a marine? If not, then I can see some value in strategically "encouraging" a Baron to advance on the marines before its activation comes up in the initiative.

Imagine this scenario: one marine vs. 2 Imps & 1 Baron of Hell. The marine is in one corner of a small room that has 2 entrances, and the Baron of Hell stands at one entrance to the room, about 4 spaces away. There's 1 Imp behind the Baron, and a second Imp at the second entrance.

The marine has already had his turn in the initiative, so he's stuck where he's at until the end of the round. The Imps are next in the initiative order. The invader activates each Imp and makes it target the Baron instead of the marine. The Imps barely scratch the Baron, but since it got attacked it gets +2 movement points per Imp attack. This allows the Baron to close the gap between itself and the marine so that it can use Beatdown on its activation. The marine cries like a baby. =3

If this is possible, this could make things quite interesting for an invader player. Using the weakest demons to push along the big bad Baron of Hell could be a nasty strategy in getting that heavy hitter into the fray faster. Is this a legal move, though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ludlam
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't really work thematically, the Baron moving after being attacked is because he's getting mildly vexed at being attacked and charging them down.

Feels like a bit of a fudge too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hm... That's a fair point. I didn't think of it that way. Thematically, it makes no sense at all. Typically, demons getting hit with friendly cross-fire always resulted in the demons turning on one another. Using this potential exploit to advance the invader's agenda has fudge plastered all over it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, if the demon card doesn't already specify it, I'll make it a house rule that the Baron only gains +2 movement from marine attacks only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis Vandepoel
Belgium
Hombeek
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
Thematically it makes perfect sense, in the videogame the invaders fight among eachother all the time, especially when you encounter the baron for the first time, on that circular plateau. Imps are indeed attacking the baron. So i could see your theory happen to move the baron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Bazinet
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Is deliberate friendly fire even allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
SebfromMTL wrote:
Is deliberate friendly fire even allowed?

I don't think there's anything in the rules that says that it isn't. And actually, Jon Ying mentioned that in early iterations of the design they had tried to incorporate some means of representing demon in-fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially cunning idea, but...
Rules Reference, pg. 4 wrote:
Attack
1. Declare Defender:
The attacker declares which figure he is attacking. That figure is the defender.
- The defender must be within range and in line of sight of the attacker.
- The defender must be an enemy figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
And also before anyone gets any ideas about using "splash damage" to trigger the ability, the Baron of Hell has to be the target of the attack.

Baron of Hell, Vengeful wrote:
After an attack is performed targeting you, gain 2 movement points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.