Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Recommended starting equipment for each class rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey.

I remember there being some recommended items for each class from the pnp. Is there a good list of recommendations for each class available? I don't mind choosing, but I know a lot of players will be overwehelmed enough when choosing classes that adding starting items will just make it worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tykwinski
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The class starting items recommendations are on the bottom of Page 1 of the Scenario Guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
for the six starting classes there should be recommended starting gear in the rulebook in the campaign section or in the scenario booklet on the first page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can anyone post the list? My copy is still in Hamburg, and I cant find the scenario book online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to deviate, though. I ended up being a stamina and health potion for my Spellweaver because of the lower number of cards in her hand and lower health. Ended up being a lifesaver and was able to win the first scenario on the first try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsummerisle wrote:
Can anyone post the list? My copy is still in Hamburg, and I cant find the scenario book online.

• Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Healing Potion (Item 012)
• Tinkerer: Eagle-Eye Goggles (Item 006)
• Spellweaver: Cloak of Invisibility (Item 005), Minor Power Potion (Item 014)
• Scoundrel: Leather Armor (Item 004), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
• Mindthief: Poison Dagger (Item 011), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
• Cragheart: War Hammer (Item 010)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mcscowl wrote:
lordsummerisle wrote:

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
lordsummerisle wrote:

Great, now I want a War Hammer. Like, now, on my desk, in my cubicle here at work.

Boss: "Um, yeah, I don't know if you got the memo, but we're going to need you to put a cover sheet on your TPS Re--"

Me: SMASH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taigoro Yamatashi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else tried the Boots of Striding for the Brute? I've only played a single scenario (Brute and Scoundrel, solo 2-handed) so I haven't had the chance to try it much but the boots didn't really impress me as a starting item. I went with the recommended items because I didn't want to sit there reading all the items and thinking that much about it. Didn't need to use them a single time however maybe that is just how things worked out for in that one play.

Though after playing the first scenario I went ahead and looked at the other items that were available to buy for 10-20 gold (healing potion costs 10 which is definitely fair as a starting item) and saw several I would have preferred. Like the iron helm, recovery potion (stamina I think it is), or even some weak body armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
The boots of striding seemed really nice for our Brute when he used them with the card that attacks everyone he moves through. Even if you can generally get around pretty well, it seems like the extra movement on his other jump could be pretty sweet as well since you'll need to go over restrictions, instead of just moving up to something. The Brute only has 1 ranged attack card by default IIRC (and it has the rare bottom attack for its other half, so you may not want to use it for range), so not having movement available when you need seems pretty bad. The item helps to cover negative situations more than it's something you'd ideally want to be using all the time.

Moreover, the boots can let you move more when you use the generic 'move 2' effect. Even if you have plenty of movement available in your deck, the boots can let you get good moves when you use low initiative cards for their speed as opposed to their actual powers. For example, Shield Bash is a 15 with a loss attack top and shield bottom. If you want to move and attack an enemy really quickly to finish them off before their action, you might not want to waste the loss attack on Shield Bash, but it's still useful as a quick generic attack or move to go first. And if you have boots, the generic move can be buffed to cross most of a room.

Also, IIRC you are restricted on misc items to 1/2 level round up. So if you want to start with a healing potion, you can't bring a stamina potion with you as well.

OTOH, I didn't go with the suggested Warhammer on my Cragheart either, in favor of the Stamina potion and Helmet (and saving 10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:
Feel free to deviate, though. I ended up being a stamina and health potion for my Spellweaver because of the lower number of cards in her hand and lower health. Ended up being a lifesaver and was able to win the first scenario on the first try.

If I'm reading this right, you're saying at level 1, you had a minor health potion and a minor stamina potion. If this is true, you cannot bring them both to the same scenario since you can only have 1/2 your level (rounded up) consumable items equipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suit Sage wrote:
aubaine wrote:

If I'm reading this right, you're saying at level 1, you had a minor health potion and a minor stamina potion. If this is true, you cannot bring them both to the same scenario since you can only have 1/2 your level (rounded up) consumable items equipped.

Yep, I realized this last night after looking at the new posts in this thread. Totally broke the rules on this one. Thanks for pointing it out for anyone else who reads this thread though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ripley
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Revision 2 has different recommendations for the Cragheart:

• Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Power Potion (Item 014)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abjuk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing as a mindthief I don't get a lot of use out of the poison dagger, you'll be much better off with boots of striding or an invisibility cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
aubaine wrote:

I think this is not exactly legit. A character can own both of those potions but until 3rd level you can not equip them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone corrected Jimmy on that mistake more than a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.