Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that TEW works fairly well for 2 players, but I suggest two modifications at this player count.

1) When scoring the industries, give the first place player the minor bonus, and 0 points for second (ignore the major bonus). Otherwise it does not seem to be worth it to go for icon majorities vs. high VP cards. It is probably still relatively weak even with the modification, but this helps.

2) Don't use the Rancher. With the board so open, that very cheap third cowboy seems much stronger than the other powers.

Happy to hear your thoughts on these!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
I think that TEW works fairly well for 2 players, but I suggest two modifications at this player count.

1) When scoring the industries, give the first place player the minor bonus, and 0 points for second (ignore the major bonus). Otherwise it does not seem to be worth it to go for icon majorities vs. high VP cards. It is probably still relatively weak even with the modification, but this helps

The flip side of the Town Hall card is the one to use for 2 players (the rules are vague on this). That side has the Majority score set as 3/2/1, and 0 for second place, just as you proposed! So yes, good idea, but it's already in the game

Rancher is overpowered, yes! Never included him in the draw yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
drasher25 wrote:

1) When scoring the industries, give the first place player the minor bonus, and 0 points for second (ignore the major bonus). Otherwise it does not seem to be worth it to go for icon majorities vs. high VP cards. It is probably still relatively weak even with the modification, but this helps

The flip side of the Town Hall card is the one to use for 2 players (the rules are vague on this). That side has the Majority score set as 3/2/1, and 0 for second place, just as you proposed! So yes, good idea, but it's already in the game

Rancher is overpowered, yes! Never included him in the draw yet.

Doh! Never noticed Town Hall back side. Thanks for the head's up. This is like that time I thought I invented Double Stuff Oreos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I totally agree with Brad on both accounts. Except that I submit that the instruction to use the opposite side of the Town Hall Mat is pretty explicit in the rules. Step 3, on page 4 says, "Note: for 1-2 player games, use the watermarked side of the Mat."

Though I do agree that the phrase, "watermarked side" is a head-scratcher, which should cause the player to examine both sides until he sees the addition of the [1 meeple/2 meeple] icon on one side and not on the other. So yeah, in that sense, it's not obvious which side is for the 2 player game, but at least the rules are explicit that one of them is!

And I also agree on the Rancher. As many other have mentioned in these forums, it's simply best to leave the Rancher in the box. Actually, I do use the Rancher when someone who's new to the hobby is playing. We give the Rancher to that person. Otherwise it stays in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.