Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rpg [+] [View All]
Edward Duffy
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I know the name of the website is boardgamegeek.com

I can understand the site is dedicated to boardgames.

Is there any reason for leaving role playing games off of the website other than they dont actually have a board? I mean, they are played at tables, and use the usual tools of the trade for boardgames. IE Dice... Hell, some people even use miniatures in their RPG's.

Enlighten me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of similarities, and RPGs need a good database like BGG could provide, but I think there are good reasons not to have them on the site. Mostly the sheer number of rpg'ers and the types of heated debate that typically occur on RPG boards (which I frequent) would produce a lot of work for the mods. Plus, there are great RPG sites out there. Heck, I think movies would be a great thing for BGG to do, but we would just be stepping on the toes of IMDB.com and other sites. RPGs would be the same thing... we'd just be stepping on the toes of rpg.net, theforge, and others.

EDIT: plus there are a handful of RPGs on the site, if you look close I think assassin, or killer, or whatever its called is on here, and thats a LARP if there ever was one, its not even played on a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think RPGs have a markedly different aesthetic than the games here, and there are a lot of people who don't play both. There's some value to keeping a web site focused. Including a huge new category like RPG's would dilute the content here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Patience grasshopper is the key to virtue and err, other stuff.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1510286

Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try http://www.rpggeek.com/ laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently thinking about this too and I concluded that I would not put RPGs in BGG because, in my opinion, RPGs are more about the people playing the game than the game itself; that is, with RPGs, people ARE the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:
I was recently thinking about this too and I concluded that I would not put RPGs in BGG because, in my opinion, RPGs are more about the people playing the game than the game itself; that is, with RPGs, people ARE the game.

RPGs are just rules systems no different than other games, at least IMO. But to each their own. I surmise that they have been deemed different enough to warrant rpggeek rather than folding into BGG. I'm cool with it either way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why Aldie was cybersquatting on rpggeek.

So, is he going to actually use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Thommy8 wrote:
You might want to try http://www.rpggeek.com/ laugh

Well it isnt up and running yet. But youd be in the know more than me when it will be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still waiting for bookwormgeek.com, the place where I can list and rate my literature collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
I think RPGs have a markedly different aesthetic than the games here, and there are a lot of people who don't play both. There's some value to keeping a web site focused. Including a huge new category like RPG's would dilute the content here.

I think that's spot on. RPGs attract a somewhat different crowd, and the sheer volume of publications might make it harder to find information about non-RPG games. Plus, there is an ugly rift in the RPG community about what constitutes "true" roleplaying. I wouldn't want these debates here. Eurotrash versus Amerisnoot was bad enough and that was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
I'm still waiting for bookwormgeek.com, the place where I can list and rate my literature collection.

http://www.librarything.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
moss_icon wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

But I want it to be done by Aldie!

Just like this here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, has it been a month already.

Edit: Well it has been exactly a month! Cron job is working.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/167040
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I enjoy RPGs a lot, but I think there is a HUGE difference in attitude between role-players and boardgamers. Particularly, I find RPGers to like a cooperative aproach, while boargamers (and overall wargamers) enjoy most understanding a rule system and getting the best of it. This leads to major differences between the two groups, just IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Volksturm wrote:
Is there any reason for leaving role playing games off of the website other than they dont actually have a board?

Boards have nothing to do with it. There are hundreds of games here that have no board. Most of those are predominantly card-based - everything from Tichu to Werewolf to Magic the Gathering.

To me, the main difference is that, while both an RPG and a boardgame establish a set of rules, the game itself is what fundamentally dictates how the game unfolds. With an RPG, one person's imagination (and whims, and moods, and curiosities, and mischievousness) dictates how the game unfolds. A 'board game' has its scope bounded by the ruleset. An RPG's scope is only bounded by whatever the GM/DM/etc allows it to be bounded by.

HeinzGuderian wrote:
I find RPGers to like a cooperative aproach, while boargamers (and overall wargamers) enjoy most understanding a rule system and getting the best of it.

So how do you explain the multitude of boardgamer ex-RPGers who have given up on RPGs because of the (minority but pervasive) subset of 'Munchkin' RPGers (hell, there's a successful board game based on lampooning them) - people who determine their 'role' in an RPG is to exploit the rules or equipment to create the maximally-powerful character, find the path of least resistance, and attain goals (treasure, experience advancement, whatever) as more of an efficiency exercise than a character-driven social experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:

I agree. While RPGs and boardgames are both games, with some similarities, their common history is not enough to keep them in harmony.

Say we had a www.democrats-are-wonderful.com and a www.republicans-are-wonderful.com. Do you really think that combining the two into www.politically-charged-people-are-wonderful.com would be a wise idea? Think of the gridlock and flame wars.

Now multiply that by about 10 and you'll see what would happen if you combined rpgs and boardgames on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
moss_icon wrote:
Simon Mueller wrote:

But I want it to be done by Aldie!

Just like this here...

Me, too. I've always wanted a highway-traveller-geek.com done by Aldie & Co. Sort of like www.thenextexit.com, only community updated with lots more categories and such and not just the interstate system. Boy, to think what geeks could do to assist people in finding playgrounds or good food or nice hotels along the highways. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Wow, has it been a month already.

Edit: Well it has been exactly a month! Cron job is working.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/167040

your cron job got nuked that is why I already posted a link to this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
RaffertyA wrote:

I agree. While RPGs and boardgames are both games, with some similarities, their common history is not enough to keep them in harmony.

Huh? We allow CCGs/CMGs etc. here, which came around a decade after RPGs.

In any case the fact that it is a different URL would seem to indicate it is a moot point

Randy Cox wrote:

Say we had a www.democrats-are-wonderful.com and a www.republicans-are-wonderful.com. Do you really think that combining the two into www.politically-charged-people-are-wonderful.com would be a wise idea? Think of the gridlock and flame wars.

I really don't get this analogy at all, we already have lots of people with vastly different tastes and what not. Personally I don't see how RPGs would make things much different, other than adding some forums/guild/geeklist options. But again, seems to be a moot point so not worth going on about I spose.

Randy Cox wrote:

Now multiply that by about 10 and you'll see what would happen if you combined rpgs and boardgames on BGG.

I disagree but it don't matter since all appearances point to a separate and distinct section for RPGs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's with the analogies to "movies" and "hiking"? C'mon people, RPGs are so close to 'boardgames' or 'cardgames' that its almost impossible to write a definiton that includes one but not the other.

We've got some RPGs on BGG already, which shouldn't be here by the 'no RPGs' rule, but are. Some of which don't get much acceptance in RPG community circles either.

Then we've got games that claim to be playable as both (Warhammer Quest, for example, which has a basic and an RPG rule set).

Then we've got games which claim to be RPGs, but which most people don't think are. (Space Hulk, Space Marine - the GW big box games were all originally labeled as '3D Roleplay').

And then you've got some "RPGs" which have MUCH more in common with 'Are You a Werewolf?' or 'Once Upon a Time' than with 'traditional RPGs'. (To my mind, some of these so called RPGs shouldn't even be trying to apply that label to themselves).

If BGG doesn't want RPGs and is making the call on what counts as an RPG, that's fine. But it doesn't resemble a straightforward decision.

I would be very happy to see an RPG Geek. I like the format here, I like the people here. I'd like them to be cross referenced to some extent to.

Though in the meantime I'd still like a generic 'RPG' entry like the 'Outside the Scope' entry so I can record plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for rpggeek too. If showing support will get it done quicker, then that's what this post is for.

There are no rpg sites doing what BGG does. Plus rpggeek might give me a chance to get some geekgold. I don't have enough obscure boardgames to enter into the database, nor do I think the millionth Carcassonne photo is a worthwhile addition. But open things up to rpgs and I have a few things worth submitting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like RPGs quite a bit but I do not want them included in BGG. There are so many and each RPG can literally have a ton of supplements, varying editions and modules. I think the best solution would be for RPGs to get their own version of the 'Geek and leave the focus of BGG untouched. Adding RPGs here would just make for a big mess.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there already sites for RPGs? Like RPG.net and Enworld.. etc. CLEARLY there is no need for BGG to go treading into this area. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen W
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aren't there already sites for RPGs? Like RPG.net and Enworld.. etc. CLEARLY there is no need for BGG to go treading into this area. Right?

RPG.net has one of the worst communinities around. They alienate too many people, and it feels too much like a playground more than a civilized dicussion. I'm hoping there will be some civility enforced on the RPGgeek.

EnWorld is mostly d20 right? And it's not really a database like RPGgeek probably will be. All in all, I'm looking forward to RPGgeek as it will provide a decent place that doesn't promote silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.