Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss each scenario? I just beat scenario 2. Awesome time, certainly very different from the first. I played solo with 3 characters.

One issue though, stupid me! I was making a major mistake that gave me a fairly significant advantage. I realized my error about 2/3rds of the way through this game, and corrected it. I really don't know if I would have won otherwise though. With so many scenarios, I decided I'm not starting over, but playing correctly from now on

I'm going to share my thoughts in spoiler tags:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Looking at the setup I was worried. If that commander had popped all around the room I would have lost for sure.

Fortunately I had the tinkerer, who had his "tricks". Between him and the brute and spell weaver, I was able to keep immobilizing him and stunning him, again and again. So he didn't pop to the other rooms.

Towards the end I actually backed off so he'd pop down to the second room so I could attempt to grab the treasure chest.

It got really close at the end, All 3 characters were so close to running out of cards, but I did win. Granted I took the time to get the treasure (barely! I risked losing the scenario to do this) but it seemed to me that if I hadn't controlled the commander and he had unlocked those other rooms, it would have been impossible to win.

It really is a huge benefit that even if you get a null attack card, you still apply the effects like wound and stun. I had a wound and a poison on the commander early on, and that helped widdle him down as well.

(EDIT)

Oh no! I realized shortly after posting this that the commander is immune to being stunned. Yikes! How in the world did people beat him with him getting to those rooms and opening them? So many monsters!

A side note, in scenario 3 I lost twice and ended up dropping the difficulty down to 0 (I was pushed up because of playing solo) and it is more manageable now.

Curious how others made out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished scenario two as well. I found it a lot easier than scenario one, but that was largely luck.

The bandit commander only opened 1 room and summoned 1 living bones before we killed him, so we didn't have to face very many enemies total this time around, plus the living corpses bottled-necked really badly in doorway A.

We weren't worried about running out of cards. The spellweaver in particular had just picked up her lost pile, so she only had 1 lost card going into the final round. The tinker and craigheart were nowhere near running out of cards. The scoundrel was a bit close, but mostly because I saw that the scenario was going to run short, and used short rests earlier than normal to increase my options, which burned through cards a little fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what the error you corrected midway was, but I want to point out that:
the Bandit Commander is immune to immobilize, stun, and curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah how about that I didn't realize that! I'll be replaying this scenario in a bit I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were able to beat the scenario with 4 players (Spellweaver, Tink, Mindthief, Crag) on level 1 tonight. Tough and fun, lots of creativity. We got pretty unlucky and the bandit commander opened all 4 doors. However, because of standee shortage the final door only had a single living corpse behind it. The Cragheart helped us by creating a "fortress" in the center room out of two 1-hex rock obstacles in conjunction with the sarcophagi. This made a ranged-friendly barricade with only one hex entrance. Good for chokepointing and for the tink to lay traps. It was terrific. We won the scenario with the Spellweaver going all in on exhaustion and pulling a double damage to finish off the Bandit Commander. The Tinkerer was the only conscious hero when we were finally victorious! Sadly, we didn't crack open the chest.

This game is seriously a work of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished this with a Brute, Scoundrel, and Tinkerer. Two doors opened plus two elite bones summoned. I was able to waste a few commander turns getting lucky that he had no place to summon and deferred dealing with the second room plus summons until the commander was down. It was still a substantial challenge to get through all the other enemies before being exhausted. I had a good shot with the flamethrower and ink gun at the end which was good because my Brute and Scoundrel were running out of the cards to do enough to kill all the remaining enemies.

Poison was crucial on the commander but I had several times where I could not pull off other sources of special scoundrel damage, so maybe it would have gone faster had I done better there. I think the thing that made this beatable was applying at least half my pressure to the archers. Letting them just party on me while I focused on the commander was lethal last time. I also made sure to self-heal with the scoundrel when necessary, because taking too much damage on him can easily wreck the mission. I added the tinkerer this time around to get a little more healing flowing since the brute and the scoundrel don't have much on themselves. (they only mitigate 2-3 damage per rest, so you can only get hit about once every several rounds)

Still, this was super hard. I am considering going to difficulty 0, not sure yet. If there are 90 scenarios and each one takes multiple nights to beat I might be dead before I get anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Boss scenarios tend to be more difficult than average for obvious reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have a better grasp on the combat rules, yes, this scenario seemed easier than #1 , which is ok with me.

I had the same result as Scott above, we got to the BC right after he opened the first door and dropped one Living Bones.

We pummeled him good ever since we opened the room!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Failed this scenario tonight playing the Cragheart and Mindthief with the monsters and traps at level 2 per the rules for solo play. It was my fifth play (played scenario one 3 times with different groups and scenario two once with one of them) so I'm thinking the difficulty is too high with the extra buff for playing solo, going to drop to difficulty level 1 for now unless I start winning easily. Bandit leader opened 3 doors, but I would have lost even if he'd only opened two. Getting 24 points of damage on the leader was very tough, even after I poisoned and eventually wounded him.

Thought about the Alamo strategy with the Craigheart, but ran out of cards before I could kill all the living corpses, they never got to attack me, so I don't think a protective wall would have helped that much. Really I kept the living bones stunned / immobilized most of the time, it just took me too many attack cards to kill them and the leader, along with the 3 archers. The leader summoned 3 Living Bones before he started opening rooms, and even attacked me himself...and it took me too many cards to stay alive and kill all of them...I had two elite living corpses untouched at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Crag/Scoundrel/Mind Thief/Spellweaver

We crushed this on Level 1 (our recommended level). Only opened two doors, and only summoned two Living Bones. Luck was definitely involved though. He tried to summon several times but was bottled up with Living Corpses stuck behind him trying to get through the door and our Mercs blocking his path out of the door. We had plenty of time to cruise the room get some money and the chest before landing the last killing blow on a Corpse.

Seemed easier than the first scenario (which we barely won on our first try), but it may be because we're learning to play more efficiently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I was really unlucky. I drew the boss's card several times for him to open rooms. I think it came up 4 times before he was dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
We had all the rooms open too, but managed to kill everything anyway. Poison and Wound from the Tinkerer probably did like 10 damage on the boss just from conditions. OTOH, my Cragheart barely did anything to the boss, since I stayed behind to finish off the final first room foe - and then whiffed because of Curse which left me way behind everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Cactus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this scenario with my Brute and Scoundrel. My Scoundrel got a very nice 2x modifier on one of her big hits. The party actually waited for the Bandit Commander to open the second door before killing him so they could get the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Krumick
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
UNLV
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
I thought it would be fun to have a thread to discuss each scenario? I just beat scenario 2. Awesome time, certainly very different from the first. I played solo with 3 characters.

One issue though, stupid me! I was making a major mistake that gave me a fairly significant advantage. I realized my error about 2/3rds of the way through this game, and corrected it. I really don't know if I would have won otherwise though. With so many scenarios, I decided I'm not starting over, but playing correctly from now on

I'm going to share my thoughts in spoiler tags:

Looking at the setup I was worried. If that commander had popped all around the room I would have lost for sure.

Fortunately I had the tinkerer, who had his "tricks". Between him and the brute and spell weaver, I was able to keep immobilizing him and stunning him, again and again. So he didn't pop to the other rooms.

Towards the end I actually backed off so he'd pop down to the second room so I could attempt to grab the treasure chest.

It got really close at the end, All 3 characters were so close to running out of cards, but I did win. Granted I took the time to get the treasure (barely! I risked losing the scenario to do this) but it seemed to me that if I hadn't controlled the commander and he had unlocked those other rooms, it would have been impossible to win.

It really is a huge benefit that even if you get a null attack card, you still apply the effects like wound and stun. I had a wound and a poison on the commander early on, and that helped widdle him down as well.

(EDIT)

Oh no! I realized shortly after posting this that the commander is immune to being stunned. Yikes! How in the world did people beat him with him getting to those rooms and opening them? So many monsters!

A side note, in scenario 3 I lost twice and ended up dropping the difficulty down to 0 (I was pushed up because of playing solo) and it is more manageable now.

Curious how others made out!

Our group make up was Tinkerer, Cragheart, Scoundrel, and Spellweaver. We had the commander at 4 life on the turn he was going to move to open door 2 (I believe this was turn 5). We could have finished him off before he opened, but we decided to take a chance to see if any loot was available in the next room so we passed on killing him, allowing him to open the next door. The turn after opening the next door we finished him off and then had 5 living corpses to deal with. They went down fairly easily considering they don't move very far.

At first glance we thought this scenario was going to be impossible when we saw that the boss had 40 hp. We just focus fired him down and pulled it out much quicker than we imagined. I think we got lucky with the order in which the boss AI cards came out.

What amounts of XP are characters having after completing these first two scenarios? I was using a Spellweaver and had 38xp. Everyone else in the group had 25-28xp? Does that sound right? Too much? Too little? average? Is XP gained from anything else besides the cards you play from your hand that have the XP symbol, and successfully completing the scenario? In most games you typically see XP gains from downing enemy mobs but I didn't see anything in the rules that said you do in this game. I guess the scenario xp is the reward for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellweaver seems to get more XP than other classes as of now. I had about the same amount and leveled the next dungeon, while the Brute and Scoundrel leveled the next dungeon after that. Brute def is in third place for XP. The Scoundrel steals all the gold, so thats her plus....the rat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 4 doors were opened pretty early in my game, but that was acutally a good thing, because I didn't kill any corpses yet, so there was only one standee left for room 3 and none for room 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario two was a few weeks ago, so I'll do the best I can to remember.

I was running Spellweaver and Cragheart. Bandit leader only got a couple doors open, but I was so worried about him opening doors that I focused him down and never got the chest. I keep meaning to go back for that.

I was playing on difficulty 0 in the first couple of missions. I wanted room to learn the game without needing to replay scenarios. Once I opened up some paths I turned it back to 1. Now I turn the difficulty dial up or down depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angshuman C
India
flag msg tools
We had a two player game (Scoundrel and Spellweaver) and we actually killed the archers and commander before he could open a single door. Now we're wondering, is there no way to get that chest? We could replay like we're revisiting the place, but the commander is the only person who could open the door and he's dead! We don't want to cheat, but we don't want to lose that chest (by being too efficient) either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angshuman wrote:
We had a two player game (Scoundrel and Spellweaver) and we actually killed the archers and commander before he could open a single door. Now we're wondering, is there no way to get that chest? We could replay like we're revisiting the place, but the commander is the only person who could open the door and he's dead! We don't want to cheat, but we don't want to lose that chest (by being too efficient) either!

The boss is still there in casual mode. The only thing that won't show up again is a chest that was previously looted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brute+Scoundrel, our strategy was: kill the archer, then go all in on the boss to kill him fast and only then take care of the other monsters.

It`s easier if he keeps opening doors instead of summoning skeletons, as the living corpses are very slow. By the time they get to you they`re probably disintegrating anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angshuman wrote:

Sorry for the necro... zombie

I'm using the same party, but playing solo (so level 2 on the monsters). Really struggling on this scenario, two failures so far. The Scoundrel has whiffed on her "big" attack each attempt (invisible, 2x attack, and draws a Curse or Null). I eventually kill the commander and archer, but am tapped out of cards, leaving a few undead and thus failing.

Any detailed thoughts to offer? I don't really see much at this point I would do differently. I poison/wound the commander and archer ASAP, set up 3+ targets for the big Spellweaver attacks, and try to avoid losing cards, figuring a long haul against the Living Corpses. I'm trying to set up the right timing in terms of the modifier deck. For instance, had a medium run of decent cards, so I was due for a Null/Curse; I eventually drew and discarded a Curse, then did my invisible backstab attempt on the newly shuffled deck and drew...the Null.

Getting frustrated, esp. if the real solution is to just draw better. Hopefully there's more to it than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Beznosyuk
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
waddball wrote:
The Scoundrel has whiffed on her "big" attack each attempt (invisible, 2x attack, and draws a Curse or Null).

You should have gathered some gold from failed attempts. Do you have enough gold for Eagle-Eye Googles on each character? This could significantly increase chances of not drawing Null on Scoundrel combo (When I played Scoundrel, I bought it specifically to be able to execute the combo). Also the item is absolutely essential on Spellweaver for her Fire orbs and Impaling Eruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Moose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brute & Scoundrel team. We beat the 1st scenario pretty easily (which made me wonder if we were doing something wrong since all I read on here is how the 1st scenario is tough)

2nd scenario we beat on our 1st try, all doors opened, but the Commander just kept traveling between doors and only attacked once and summoned 1 skeleton. The corpses moved slow, and sometimes not at all so that let us focus on the Commander first.

The Brute did get exhausted, and we won with only 1 turn to spare for the Scoundrel, though their 2nd to last attack pulled their last cursed null card, however the corpse pulled a -1 to health card, so we won without even getting a final blow in.

Great game so far, the wife loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Fry
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario ended up being pretty silly for my group since we never drew a card to trigger doors opening. We were actually intentionally not killing the boss since we wanted the treasure, but after ~10 rounds it still hadn't happened and we decided it was getting too risky if we stalled longer.

Seems like there's a lot of variance in scenarios based on how the monster attack deck treats you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fuzzypickles wrote:
This scenario ended up being pretty silly for my group since we never drew a card to trigger doors opening. We were actually intentionally not killing the boss since we wanted the treasure, but after ~10 rounds it still hadn't happened and we decided it was getting too risky if we stalled longer.

Seems like there's a lot of variance in scenarios based on how the monster attack deck treats you.

The Boss deck has 8 cards consisting of 3 "Special 1", 3 "Special 2", and then 2 different cards that involve moving and attacking (without their Special abilities). Though I can't remember which card(s) of that group trigger a reshuffle.

If the Boss never jumped to a door (special 1) in 10 rounds, that is a very unlikely and rare probability, and I'm guessing it led to a number of Living Bones being summoned (special 2).

But then again, my group experienced kind of he opposite. For us the Boss jumped doors almost exclusively, having made the complete circuit plus jumping back to A and only summoning one Bones, and the only time he drew an attack card was his final draw (which didn't even end up happening as we killed him before his initiative was reached)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.